not diagnosed yet biopsy tommorrow

kathy58
kathy58 Member Posts: 6

not sure if  i should even be posting here but i am really scared. i had been coughing up blood for a couple days and finally went to the emergency room. i was given an mri which said i have a upper lobe lung mass. the dr said it was a hollow mass and i was referred to onocologist for a biopsy. im just so scared i dont know what any of this means. i am 58 and a smoker i know not good. have had a cough off and on but thats it.

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Kathy

Hello, I know its scary.  Its not cancer until its biopsied.  Could be an infection.  I know you said your a smoker and if your coughing up blood it could be because your lungs are irritated.  If it is cancer there are a lot of treatments available.  I know the waiting is the hardest part and once you find out whats going on you will begin to have it fixed.  I wish you well and keep us posted. Lori.

• kathy58
    z said:

Kathy

Hello, I know its scary.  Its not cancer until its biopsied.  Could be an infection.  I know you said your a smoker and if your coughing up blood it could be because your lungs are irritated.  If it is cancer there are a lot of treatments available.  I know the waiting is the hardest part and once you find out whats going on you will begin to have it fixed.  I wish you well and keep us posted. Lori.

thank you very much z 

thank you very much z 

• kathy58
    kathy58 said:

thank you very much z 

thank you very much z 

there does not seem to be

there does not seem to be much treatmeant that works from what ive read unless im reading in the wrong place. the way the emergency room doctor and nurse acted it was cancer. sorry just waiting for  the doctor to call to set up appointment. i meant they acted like it was cancer.

• kathy58
    call from doctors office not

call from doctors office not even going to see me till wednesday not mention of a biopsy wondering if that means its not that bad or already to far gone to make adifference

• kathy58
    doctors office just called

doctors office just called not going to see me til wednesday no biopsy mentioned wondering do i take it as a good sign or that its already to far gone to matter. sorry did not mean to post that twice.

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    kathy58 said:

doctors office just called

doctors office just called not going to see me til wednesday no biopsy mentioned wondering do i take it as a good sign or that its already to far gone to matter. sorry did not mean to post that twice.

kathy

When you go to your appointment the dr will tell you what the next step is.  Before a patient has a biopsy pulmonary testing might have to take place.  Like a test to see what your lung capacity is.  Thats just blowing into a machine several different ways.   Your dr will explain everything to you.  Make a list of questions so you won't forget, because we are so over whelmed by the situation, its hard to remember everything.  Or take someone with you to help.  I hope you will get the answers you need when you get there.  The waiting is the hardest part.  I hope you also posted at Inspire, many survivors there.  I wish you well. Lori

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    kathy58 said:

there does not seem to be

there does not seem to be much treatmeant that works from what ive read unless im reading in the wrong place. the way the emergency room doctor and nurse acted it was cancer. sorry just waiting for  the doctor to call to set up appointment. i meant they acted like it was cancer.

Cancer

While there is no way to be certain that a mass is cancer or not the drs have enough experience that they can trust their judgment on that diagnosis.  Please understand that the results and estimates you see written here as well as other sites do not necessarily reflect some of the newer therapies.  

When they have done the biopsy (bx) they will know what type you are up against.  There are several more steps before treatment is decided.  It can take 4-6 weeks to get all necessary testing done. There will be the biopsy, of course, there will also be a PET scan, a bone scan and an MRI of the brain.  The waiting truly does become the hard part.  

In October of 2010, I was told ten -15 months with treatment.  I immediately set up my Powers of Attorney and paid for (and planned) my funeral.  That done I focused on living and never looked back.  It hasnt been all easy, but, it's been pretty good.  

• kathy58
    dennycee said:

Cancer

While there is no way to be certain that a mass is cancer or not the drs have enough experience that they can trust their judgment on that diagnosis.  Please understand that the results and estimates you see written here as well as other sites do not necessarily reflect some of the newer therapies.  

When they have done the biopsy (bx) they will know what type you are up against.  There are several more steps before treatment is decided.  It can take 4-6 weeks to get all necessary testing done. There will be the biopsy, of course, there will also be a PET scan, a bone scan and an MRI of the brain.  The waiting truly does become the hard part.  

In October of 2010, I was told ten -15 months with treatment.  I immediately set up my Powers of Attorney and paid for (and planned) my funeral.  That done I focused on living and never looked back.  It hasnt been all easy, but, it's been pretty good.  

i dont think you have

i dont think you have understood at all what i posted  at any rate this is the most morbid post i have ever read. i think i will be leaving this group

i dont think you understood my post at all the initial reaction i got was from and er doctor  and im sure you mean well but this is one of the more morbid posts i have ever read. i thank you all for your time but i will not be returning here.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    kathy58 said:

i dont think you have

i dont think you have understood at all what i posted  at any rate this is the most morbid post i have ever read. i think i will be leaving this group

i dont think you understood my post at all the initial reaction i got was from and er doctor  and im sure you mean well but this is one of the more morbid posts i have ever read. i thank you all for your time but i will not be returning here.

This was not intended to be

This was not intended to be morbid.  Three years ago I was told I had ten months to live.  I took care of things I didn't want my family to worry about.  

Now I travel, have a wonderful life, good friends and I do what I want as much as I am able.  I stopped focusing on death and put my thoughts and energy on living a full life.  I have cancer, it doesn't have me.  My ct scans are every six months now and in two years I will only have them every year.  Life is good.