Keep fighting the good fight.

I haven't been on here for awhile but I like to check in now and then to let people know that things are going very well and I am in recovery. It's been over four years since I was diagnosed with colon cancer and since my resection. The tumor was the size of an orange, but I was Staged 2A since it hadn't spread. I elected to do Chemo and had a rough ride, but you have to do what you have to do. I continue to get scans and so far all is good. My wife and I have been super busy, selling a house at the beach and buying a house in a rural location where we can have horses. I know, I know, why would anyone in their right mind move from the beach, but we like having lots of land for our dogs to run free...and for me to run free for that matter...which I do on a regular basis by jogging ten times around the property. We recently saw Oz at the Moonlight Theater in Vista, CA. A great play. And last weekend we were at Jazz in the Park in Carlsbad, CA. Life is fun and I hope to keep it that way. No matter how hard it seems at times just fight the good fight. We have a number of friends who have and are battling cancer and they are beating the odds. One friend was full of cancer in one lung and had three brain tumors and the doctors gave him little chance, but he battled back and is now nearly recovered. There is always hope and always a reason to enjoy the days that we have. They are finding new treatments everyday and people are recovering every day. 

Comments

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    I'm glad

I'm glad your doing better,just keep on fighting.

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Sure has

Been awhile!  Glad to "see" you.  I live in Santa Cruz, lots of beaches but I hate the sand, enjoy the horses and rural area, sounds like fun.

Glad you're doing well :)

Winter Marie

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing your good news, there has been far too much sad news on this board recently.  I'm glad to hear you are doing well.  My husband was diagnosed in December 2012, Stage II also with a large tumor and no lymph node involvement.  We are in the "honeymoon" phase of cancer right now.  He finished 6 months of Folfox (oxi dropped after 5 treatments due to side effects), has his first scan next week and then the follow up with the doctor.  We have been in limbo since his treatment ended not knowing "What comes next?" and hoping we'll have some good news and something to celebrate after his appointments next week.

Enjoy your new home!

Linda

• CessnaFlyer
    CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
    LindaK. said:

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your good news, there has been far too much sad news on this board recently.  I'm glad to hear you are doing well.  My husband was diagnosed in December 2012, Stage II also with a large tumor and no lymph node involvement.  We are in the "honeymoon" phase of cancer right now.  He finished 6 months of Folfox (oxi dropped after 5 treatments due to side effects), has his first scan next week and then the follow up with the doctor.  We have been in limbo since his treatment ended not knowing "What comes next?" and hoping we'll have some good news and something to celebrate after his appointments next week.

Enjoy your new home!

Linda

Waiting for results is a real nail biter.

Getting that first scan after finishing treatment and then waiting for the results can be something like the Chinese Water Torture. It's a time of great anxiety, but with each scan that shows everything is fine you get more confident in your recovery. My own experience tells me that at Stage II  and no lymph node involvement that the results will be good news and that there will be no sign of cancer.

• CessnaFlyer
    CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110

Sure has

Been awhile!  Glad to "see" you.  I live in Santa Cruz, lots of beaches but I hate the sand, enjoy the horses and rural area, sounds like fun.

Glad you're doing well :)

Winter Marie

I love Santa Cruz...

...and that movie THE LOST BOYS about vampires that was shot there and had that cool scene at the beach with the band playing "I still believe".

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member

Getting that first scan after finishing treatment and then waiting for the results can be something like the Chinese Water Torture. It's a time of great anxiety, but with each scan that shows everything is fine you get more confident in your recovery. My own experience tells me that at Stage II  and no lymph node involvement that the results will be good news and that there will be no sign of cancer.

That's what...

...we wish for you and all the other people here.

Let us know,

Laz

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member

Thanks

I will hopefully have a good news update next Thursday.  It's funny there was an article in our newspaper this morning saying tumors in the colon take an average of 7-10 years for a polyp to become cancer.  My husband had 5 colonoscopies between age 50 and 60, his last one being about 2 years before he experienced a complete blockage due to a large tumor.  He had polyps removed each time, but none were cancerous or pre-cancerous (or so we were told). I believe his was a very fast growing tumor which scares me how quickly one can grow.  I'm not sure what other tests will be able to keep an eye on this.  He will probably be having annual colonoscopies, next one in December, 1 year from surgery.  He will be going to oncologist every 3 months for 2 years, I guess the CEA levels will be an indicator.  We'll find out more next week.

Linda