A little bit of encouraging news on the metastatic funding situation

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

This past week, Danny and I listened to an interview on NPR-a young woman with IBC highly critical of the current funding for metastatic disease.  I have tried to google her and put a link here, but I am not remembering which program or her name?

Now today, I see BCRF has pledged to contribute more to metastatic disease. 

I know these are tiny steps towards equitable funding, but I am encouraged. Smile

"New $27 million Evelyn Lauder Founder's Fund will increase BCRF investment in research that focuses on the molecular basis of cancer metastasis 

The April 28, 2013 article in The New York Times (published online on April 25), "Our Feel-Good War on Breast Cancer," acknowledges the need for more research on the causes and management of metastasis, the lethal aspect of breast cancer. Indeed, The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is focused exclusively on research and directs nearly 90 percent of its expenditures to clinical and translational investigations into the causes and treatment of breast cancer, and another 3 percent to educational efforts in spreading awareness about this research and its impact. Of the
$40 million in grants the Foundation awarded to investigators in 2012, approximately $18 million is invested in studies related to metastasis, therapy resistance, and disease recurrence.

In addition, in November 2012, BCRF announced an unprecedented initiative: a broad program with a narrow focus that will enable more researchers to analyze the molecular abnormalities in metastatic breast cancer. Called the Evelyn H. Lauder Founder's Fund, the initiative will dedicate $27 million to advancing understanding of why some cancers spread more quickly than others, as well as why some cancers respond so well to therapies while others do not. The multi-million dollar, global collaborative program will focus on dissecting the molecular basis of metastasis using the full range of modern scientific tools and thereby guide more effective detection, prognostication, management and-ideally-prevention strategies. The elimination of death and suffering from breast cancer will depend on creative science, and BCRF remains dedicated to this mission." http://www.bcrfcure.org/action_scnews_metastaticfocus.html

Comments

• coco2008
    coco2008 Member Posts: 418
    Encouraging news.  Are Komen

Encouraging news.  Are Komen and ACS also pormoting and contributing to this research?

Sandy

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    coco2008 said:

Encouraging news.  Are Komen

Encouraging news.  Are Komen and ACS also pormoting and contributing to this research?

Sandy

Komen...

Sandy,

You got to be kidding, Komen promoting and contributing to this research?  Komen is all about early detection, surivorship, the pink rah, rah, rah, awareness (who on this planet isn't aware of breast cancer?) and paying their CEO Nancy Brinker and outrageous salary, one of the highest paid CEO in charities foundations.  Nancy did a good thing back in 1982 by taking bc out of the closet but I believe she will run this organization into the ground.  A lot of races were cancelled this year for lack of support.  People are beginning to see what is happening in that organization.  They pay more for administration cost than they give to research.

ACS is for all cancer, how much they give for metastatic breast cancer is probably very little from what I read.

Doris

• SIROD
    To CC

Thanks CC, I love article like this.

Doris

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Nancy Brinker has been REPLACED

You should all be aware that on June 17th Dr. Judith Salerno replaced Nancy Brinker as CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Dr. Salerno is the Executive Director and COO of t he Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. Perhaps this highly respected physician will make a difference in how the Komen organization is run.

IRENE

• SIROD

Nancy Brinker has been REPLACED

You should all be aware that on June 17th Dr. Judith Salerno replaced Nancy Brinker as CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Dr. Salerno is the Executive Director and COO of t he Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. Perhaps this highly respected physician will make a difference in how the Komen organization is run.

IRENE

For Irene - Komen's New CEO

Thank you Irene.  I've been sick, so haven't kept up on news.  Let's hope Dr. Salerno will be a good CEO.  It has to be hard for Nancy though to take her dream and give it up.  Though if she really cared, she would retire from the organization and find a new hobby or job.

I read the other article posted.   Komen still has to acknowledge that stage IV is real and needs help in searching for a cure via metastasis research.  If they cure us, all other stages, never need to worry again.

Best,

Doris