Gamechanger from ASCO conference:Stop using calcium and magnesium with oxaliplatin

coloCan
coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
edited June 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/805232

Something you might want to discuss with onc perhaps

PS: when i was doing oxi i don't recall knowing about calcium/mag and i can't remember at what point the neuropathy kicked in

Comments

• tachilders
    tachilders Member Posts: 313
    Didn't follow the link, but

Didn't follow the link, but it makes sense that if it interferes (i.e alleviates) the side effects that it would also reduce efficacy.  Is that what they found?

Tedd

• coloCan

Didn't follow the link, but

Didn't follow the link, but it makes sense that if it interferes (i.e alleviates) the side effects that it would also reduce efficacy.  Is that what they found?

Tedd

actually,the study cited here concluded that not only did

it not reduce the efficacy of the oxi, it seemed to show no effect upon neuro either......This current study also references an earlier study, with less participants and nonrandomized from 2004 which concluded that cal/mag would minimize neuropathy and apparently thats what oncs started to do....

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Efficiency

My doctor wouldn't give it to me because she said it lowered the effciency of the treatment.

Kim

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

Efficiency

My doctor wouldn't give it to me because she said it lowered the effciency of the treatment.

Kim

My dr said the same (back in

My dr said the same (back in 2008).

• johnsnowden
    johnsnowden Member Posts: 20
    laxatives

i've been using magnesium citrate as a laxative following rectal surgery and folfox starts in a week and i will probably still be having bowel issues.

i wonder if i'll tell my onc? he's usually pretty unconcerned about most things, you know, 'blase', indifferent it seems,  but i think the chemo nurses will know. those hands-on types usually know a lot.

p.s. can't follow link, you have to be able to log in.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

laxatives

i've been using magnesium citrate as a laxative following rectal surgery and folfox starts in a week and i will probably still be having bowel issues.

i wonder if i'll tell my onc? he's usually pretty unconcerned about most things, you know, 'blase', indifferent it seems,  but i think the chemo nurses will know. those hands-on types usually know a lot.

John

If your doctor is a non issue on things maybe you should seek a second opinion.  Magnesium citrate is different than what they are talking about.  What you are using is to help you go the bathroom, the other is supposed to reduce the side effects from oxy.  Totally different and I've used the magnesium citrate to help me go to - thumbs up on that.  The other is a solution they give you before your treatment to help reduce side effects but my doctor wouldn't do it.  You are good to go with the mag cit though.

Kim

• coloCan

laxatives

Hmmm....i got that in an email so i guess i must have

signed up....here's a link, if it works,to the abstract on this

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/113106-132

John:I'm surprised your onc didn't ask about any and all supplements,vitamins,medications,etc that you might be taking prior to starting treatment.