Surgery got canceled

keithhubbert
keithhubbert Member Posts: 14

My doctor just called and said that the" ultrasound probe" arm for the di vinchi machine, was sent out last week for repair and was supposed to be back and is not. Said it should be there tomorrow. So he said he will try and bump his friday patient and give me that day , but will have to check scheduling first and call me back tomorrow. After doing the liquid diet all day and schedule work and my wife to be off work. Bummed

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    What a bummer

Keith,

At least the Di Vinci will be up and running soon. Thats a lot better than the surgeon borrowing a pair of ice ........

Icemantoo

• MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    GOd, I can only imagine! 

GOd, I can only imagine!  Still, you can handle this!  Buck up and  ride it out!

• Galrim
    Galrim Member Posts: 307
    That sucks Keith

Deep breath and try not to get too annoyed about it. Guess thats all there really is to say. Keep us updated.

/G

• alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    That really does suck!

Maybe since you have at least two days until surgery, you can enjoy the day pretending the cancer is behind you for a few hours. Think of it as a vacation day for you and your wife courtesy of the di vinchi machine. And do something wonderful!

Sorry your wait has been extended but try to make  it into a positive. Remember the cancer feeds off negativity. Keep saying cancer is tough, but I'm tougher!

• BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    Well that blows

I can only imagine getting yourself mentally prepared along with scheduling time off of work only to have the surgery postponed. Sorry. At least the equipment didn't fail while in the midst of your surgery.

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    BLKJAK said:

Well that blows

I can only imagine getting yourself mentally prepared along with scheduling time off of work only to have the surgery postponed. Sorry. At least the equipment didn't fail while in the midst of your surgery.

Well that blows

Good point! 

How to be positive -  just imagine the scene:  Sorry, sorry, but wake up - the arm's fallen off the robot so we're abandoning your op until we get a replacement.  So wake up and hop out of bed because we need the bed for another patient! 

Rather be sure all is in order, but it doesn't make it any easier to take and we can all sympathise with Keith on that.  (I've just received the third re-appointment of my next oncology consultation, bringing it forward two weeks to this Friday, leaving no time for advance blood draws, so they're going to need to do it at the consultation - we have to hang loose in this game!)

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Surgery Cancelled

Sorry to hear that Keith, what a pain in the backside!! You would like to think that these ultra expensive devices came with spare parts, that's ridiculous???

Djinnie

• keithhubbert

Well that blows

Good point! 

How to be positive -  just imagine the scene:  Sorry, sorry, but wake up - the arm's fallen off the robot so we're abandoning your op until we get a replacement.  So wake up and hop out of bed because we need the bed for another patient! 

Rather be sure all is in order, but it doesn't make it any easier to take and we can all sympathise with Keith on that.  (I've just received the third re-appointment of my next oncology consultation, bringing it forward two weeks to this Friday, leaving no time for advance blood draws, so they're going to need to do it at the consultation - we have to hang loose in this game!)

Thank you all !

I really appreiciate all the support from everyone, Thank you.  The VA just called ,and said this Friday they will get me in, so here we go again. 

• icemantoo

Thank you all !

I really appreiciate all the support from everyone, Thank you.  The VA just called ,and said this Friday they will get me in, so here we go again. 

Sequestration

Keith,

Glad to hear that your finally going to get this behind you. Was the delay in fixing the machine as a result of the sequestration?

Icemantoo

• Texas_wedge
    icemantoo said:

Sequestration

Keith,

Glad to hear that your finally going to get this behind you. Was the delay in fixing the machine as a result of the sequestration?

Icemantoo

Sequestration?

iceman, can you explain about this - is it about lawsuits against the Company based on allegations of irresponsibly hyped up marketing?  If so, does it relate specifically to hysterectomies, as opposed to renal laparoscopic ops?

• icemantoo

Sequestration?

iceman, can you explain about this - is it about lawsuits against the Company based on allegations of irresponsibly hyped up marketing?  If so, does it relate specifically to hysterectomies, as opposed to renal laparoscopic ops?

Sequestration

Tex,

Sequestration is stupid across the board government cut backs to reduce spending. The budget is cut for all Federal Dapartments including the VA. There is deferred maintenance in the military and National Parks. Nothing to do with the di Vinci machine unless the necessary medical repairs was backed up. I do not think they have anything that stupid across the Pond where you are.

The question therefore is whether Sequestration is causeing delays in VA hospetals for necessary care.

Icemantoo

• Texas_wedge
    icemantoo said:

Sequestration

Tex,

Sequestration is stupid across the board government cut backs to reduce spending. The budget is cut for all Federal Dapartments including the VA. There is deferred maintenance in the military and National Parks. Nothing to do with the di Vinci machine unless the necessary medical repairs was backed up. I do not think they have anything that stupid across the Pond where you are.

The question therefore is whether Sequestration is causeing delays in VA hospetals for necessary care.

Icemantoo

Sequestration

Thanks for that explanation, iceman.  Whenever you disceetly venture into comments that involve issues of governmental policyI find your views resonate strongly with me - I think we have very similar socio-political views and I regard what you say as a bit of a touchstone for me as one who has, obviously, distant and limited understanding of the scene over there. 

By the way, I'm not sure whether there was a vein of irony in your reference to the UK - I wish I could confirm that our approach is much more enlightened but I fear we are fighting much the same battles of economic retrenchment, with broadly similar accusations of cuts in the wrong places.  Our administration is understandably keen to be perceived to be ring-fencing our NHS to protect front-line services from damaging depradations.  Still, I'm fairly sure you're aware of all of that.

I'm grateful for the clarification about sequestration.  I did a big double-take on your succinct message.  I realised that you weren't talking about use of the da Vinci robot on 'sequestrated tissue' (where I gather it has considerable value) but I was unaware of the use of the term in the political context.  Consequently I jumped to the conclusion that you were using the term in a legal sense (I forgot the counsel of my erstwhile Senior Partner, who was wont to say 'As lawyers, we are not in the business of making assumptions!')  Probably you, like us, use the term sequestration for individual entities and liquidation/administrative receivership for corporate situations - I'm not sure about that since, despite being a Londoner, I practised in Scotland (Roman-Dutch, civilian law tradition, not Anglo-American).

I know that some of our legal brethren (perhaps of the less scrupled kind) are looking to make money out of class actions for the disgruntled patients who feel they were over-sold the merits of robotic surgery.   There seems to be real evidence of unsubstantiatedly extravagant claims for it and there are female patients, in particular, who feel they got a raw deal.  I believe the manufacturing company is in some difficulty as a consequence.  The result was that I assumed you to be referring to envisaged folding of the manufacture of da Vinci machines.   [I should have figured that you wouldn't have been so insensitive as to make such a suggestion to someone just about to undergo da Vinci surgery - that'll teach me not to jump to conclusions!]

Thanks, again, iceman, and let's hope Keith's op now goes on perfectly.

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513

Sequestration

Thanks for that explanation, iceman.  Whenever you disceetly venture into comments that involve issues of governmental policyI find your views resonate strongly with me - I think we have very similar socio-political views and I regard what you say as a bit of a touchstone for me as one who has, obviously, distant and limited understanding of the scene over there. 

By the way, I'm not sure whether there was a vein of irony in your reference to the UK - I wish I could confirm that our approach is much more enlightened but I fear we are fighting much the same battles of economic retrenchment, with broadly similar accusations of cuts in the wrong places.  Our administration is understandably keen to be perceived to be ring-fencing our NHS to protect front-line services from damaging depradations.  Still, I'm fairly sure you're aware of all of that.

I'm grateful for the clarification about sequestration.  I did a big double-take on your succinct message.  I realised that you weren't talking about use of the da Vinci robot on 'sequestrated tissue' (where I gather it has considerable value) but I was unaware of the use of the term in the political context.  Consequently I jumped to the conclusion that you were using the term in a legal sense (I forgot the counsel of my erstwhile Senior Partner, who was wont to say 'As lawyers, we are not in the business of making assumptions!')  Probably you, like us, use the term sequestration for individual entities and liquidation/administrative receivership for corporate situations - I'm not sure about that since, despite being a Londoner, I practised in Scotland (Roman-Dutch, civilian law tradition, not Anglo-American).

I know that some of our legal brethren (perhaps of the less scrupled kind) are looking to make money out of class actions for the disgruntled patients who feel they were over-sold the merits of robotic surgery.   There seems to be real evidence of unsubstantiatedly extravagant claims for it and there are female patients, in particular, who feel they got a raw deal.  I believe the manufacturing company is in some difficulty as a consequence.  The result was that I assumed you to be referring to envisaged folding of the manufacture of da Vinci machines.   [I should have figured that you wouldn't have been so insensitive as to make such a suggestion to someone just about to undergo da Vinci surgery - that'll teach me not to jump to conclusions!]

Thanks, again, iceman, and let's hope Keith's op now goes on perfectly.

Sequestration

Sequestration was a way to force action on the federal budget.  In order to increase the USA's debt limit, and avoid the government from defaulting (in 2011), the concept was sequestration if a deal is not met by 2013.  The idea was to sequester part of the federal budget for cross the board cuts.  It was meant as a poison pill, a game of russian rullette.  No one wanted the impact of it.  But give a politician a gun, and they will pull the trigger.  Now, every agency is having cross the board budget cuts.  All federal employeees are being furoughed between now and october 1, typically 10 days. 

Federal contracts are cut.  Maintenence is deffered.  My job is probably ended (I am a contractor) on 6/30.

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    icemantoo said:

Sequestration

Tex,

Icemantoo

Sequestration...

And I thought it was just the way government spells castration...huh

• NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653
    garym said:

Sequestration...

And I thought it was just the way government spells castration...huh

No, our government is equal opportunity.  It has to screw both males and females.

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    what a pain in the

what a pain in the perverbials!!!  ah god keith but at least it will be done this week and you won't be waiting too long.  thinking of you and no doubt we will be seeing you on here to hear how you got on.....

eims x

• Djinnie

Thank you all !

Surgery Friday

All the best for your surgery tomorrow Keith:) hope Da Vinci is well armed this time!

Let us know how you got on when you feel up to it:)

Djinnie

• Djinnie
    Eims said:

what a pain in the

what a pain in the perverbials!!!  ah god keith but at least it will be done this week and you won't be waiting too long.  thinking of you and no doubt we will be seeing you on here to hear how you got on.....

eims x

Hey Eims

When are you off on your hols? Coming up soon isn't it?

Djinnie

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

No, our government is equal opportunity.  It has to screw both males and females.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Thanks for clarifyingWink

• keithhubbert
    Djinnie said:

Hey Eims

When are you off on your hols? Coming up soon isn't it?

Djinnie

final countdown again

Back to that almost here stage. they waited till 5:00 last time to get a  call,and cancel on me. OK time to get motivated again, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can , I know I can, OK i"m ready, bring it on !