I am new and need some advice

I was diagnosed a week ago with adenocarcinoma in situ, I had a conization done less than a week ago now have to go back to the dr tomorrow for results of the tests they took during my procedure, I asked my dr about doing a hysterectomy since I am done having children but he always says no but then tells me that there is only an 80% chance of the conization taking care of the problem, I am really stressed cause I'm only 35 and want to see my kids grow up I just feel like I'm not being give enough options and not sure even what to ask! Can anyone give me advice

Comments

• ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    I would ask to be referred to

I would ask to be referred to a gyn/onc if you are only seeing a gyn. The adenos are sneaky cancers.  There arealternatives to a hysterectomy if you are very early stage which you are.  There is the removal of the cervix only that would be curative and significantly decrease worry and chances of this evolving into a more difficult to treat cancer.  Good luck.

• Jbrewerx3sons
    Jbrewerx3sons Member Posts: 8
    ccfighter said:

I would ask to be referred to

I would ask to be referred to a gyn/onc if you are only seeing a gyn. The adenos are sneaky cancers.  There arealternatives to a hysterectomy if you are very early stage which you are.  There is the removal of the cervix only that would be curative and significantly decrease worry and chances of this evolving into a more difficult to treat cancer.  Good luck.

update

ok so went for my results after conization and the results were not good the test is positive for adenocarcinoma in my uterus as well so now iam scheduled for a hysterectomy in 3 weeks only after that will he refere me to a oncologist to discuse chemo or anyhting further needed, im in a really small town and he says my insurance wont cover anything further at this point.

• ccfighter

update

ok so went for my results after conization and the results were not good the test is positive for adenocarcinoma in my uterus as well so now iam scheduled for a hysterectomy in 3 weeks only after that will he refere me to a oncologist to discuse chemo or anyhting further needed, im in a really small town and he says my insurance wont cover anything further at this point.

This doesn't make sense to

This doesn't make sense to me.  If biopsies confirmed cancer and it is cervical cancer that is also present in the uterus than you are at least a stage 2 and a gyn oncologist really needs to be the one to perform the hysterectomy.  I would not allow a gyn to do this.  Get another opinion ASAP.  Good luck.

• gturby
    gturby Member Posts: 4

update

I agree with ccfighter.

I agree with ccfighter. I had a radical hysterectomy, bilateral oopherectomy and lymphadenectomy in March 2013 for 1B1 cervical adenocarcinoma. My gynecological oncologist did "washings" during the surgery where he "washed" my pelvic cavity with sterile water looking for stray cancer cells, then sending washings off to pathology. This is not part of standard hysterectomy procedure but was specific to a cancer diagnosis. Contact your insurance yourself and st ay on the line to speak to someone directly. You could also call the american cancer society and get a live person and ask for help. Hope this helps.

Gwen

• Jbrewerx3sons
    gturby said:

I agree with ccfighter.

I agree with ccfighter. I had a radical hysterectomy, bilateral oopherectomy and lymphadenectomy in March 2013 for 1B1 cervical adenocarcinoma. My gynecological oncologist did "washings" during the surgery where he "washed" my pelvic cavity with sterile water looking for stray cancer cells, then sending washings off to pathology. This is not part of standard hysterectomy procedure but was specific to a cancer diagnosis. Contact your insurance yourself and st ay on the line to speak to someone directly. You could also call the american cancer society and get a live person and ask for help. Hope this helps.

Gwen

Thanks for the advice

I did contact a cancer as well as the ams I sent my records and pathology reports down and was told that I am in a very early stage I think he called it 1a1 so normal procedure is a hysterectomy then if pathology from my uterus comes back with anything I will have chemo or radiation depending on what is found, if nothing is found I will have to have a pap every 2 months for a year to make sure nothing comes back, so at this point I'm having surgery on 6/21/13 he wanted to do it sooner but my insurance says I have to wait 30 days.

• Jbrewerx3sons
    gturby said:

I agree with ccfighter.

Gwen

Thanks for the advice

I did contact a cancer as well as the ams I sent my records and pathology reports down and was told that I am in a very early stage I think he called it 1a1 so normal procedure is a hysterectomy then if pathology from my uterus comes back with anything I will have chemo or radiation depending on what is found, if nothing is found I will have to have a pap every 2 months for a year to make sure nothing comes back, so at this point I'm having surgery on 6/21/13 he wanted to do it sooner but my insurance says I have to wait 30 days.

• ccfighter

Thanks for the advice

Good luck with surgery.  I

Good luck with surgery.  I hope pathology is negative and no further treatment is necessary.

• Judemo
    Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member

Thanks for the advice

How are you doing?

How are you? I'm awaiting results so I'm sending out messages to people who kinda left things up in the air on this discussion board? I just realized my Gyn oncologist had also mentioned early on that he thought I had adenocarinoma in situ. But I've heard so much since my first visit with him that I'm thoroughly confused now.  He's alwaYs going out of town, which is frustrating as well since you have to wait for him to get back to get results!  I read where adenocarinoma in situ means pre-cancer.