Good News!!!!

joemetz
joemetz Member Posts: 493

Some of you know that a month ago I learned that my colon cancer with mets to the liver, had spread to the left hip and left pelvic area.

there has been pain in my RIGHT femur and RIGHT hip.

I had the "Oh Sh#t" feeling for a week.

they did x-rays today, and also had me do some flexibiltiy tests...

X-rays came back negative!  

NO cancer in the right hip.

Radiation continues to the right hip.... only 3 more treatments to go!

PET scan on May 28th.

Fingers crossed

Hugs

Comments

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Great news! My fingers are
    Great news! My fingers are crossed too. Good luck.
  • AnnLouise
    AnnLouise Member Posts: 276 Member
    Fingers are crossed in Chicago.....

great news......hoping for the best results for your pet scan!

i have a ct scan on the 28th......so we can both wait for our results! ~ Ann

• fighting_ big_c
    fighting_ big_c Member Posts: 64
    AnnLouise said:

Fingers are crossed in Chicago.....

great news......hoping for the best results for your pet scan!

i have a ct scan on the 28th......so we can both wait for our results! ~ Ann

Great to hear that!

You added some positivity to all of us! So Happy to hear that !!!

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Yahoo!

Rads are doing their job!  Great to hear.  Hugs~AA

• steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    There's that roller coaster

Great news about the x rays pray the pet scan is great.  No or little pain is greatly appreciated.  Jeff

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    the other way...

You know Joe, since my wife started heavy supplements like high dose vitamins D3 + K2 (menaquinone-4) + C + magnesium, these kind of things have quit bothering her after decades of arthritis pain.  Even after three straight years of her daily chemo, an oral 5FU-LV.

I haven't had her CT scans quantitaively checked to see whether her bones are regaining mass, but calcium in her blood has to be going somewhere (either bones or out), and she never suffers tooth disintegration like so many chemo patients taking much less cumulative doses of chemo.

• wawaju04976
    wawaju04976 Member Posts: 316 Member
    Sending you positive

Sending you positive thoughts!!!

Judy

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    DANCING!

Hugs, Kathi

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    That is great news Joe. You

That is great news Joe. You deserve some good news. I hope things keep moving in a positive direction for you.

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Great news

Good luck with the petscan.  I'm sending good vibes your way.

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Good Luck Joe!

I know a thing or two about radiation...having it done it on two areas of the body...55x total.

First time was in both hips / up the small of the back / and up the tailpipe....25x each area.

Radiation damage is a little bit different than arthritis...

What I got behind Door #2 was a case of Avascular Necrosis in both hips. ...What that is is lack of blood flow to the joint, which results in joint death over time....a lack of sufficient blood to replenish the joint is what the end result is from the damage encurred.

What are the leading causes for this condition you say?

Not surprisingly, Radiation is one of the major culprits.....followed closely by chemotherapy...

This is a serious condition if it finds you...powders and potions do not alleviate the pain for avascular necrosis....neither do analgesics or pain killers...it's permanent...a gift that has kept on giving for almost 9-years now.

And Joe, I would add that the effects now are worse...and I'm almost 9-years out....when I was in treatment, it was steadily deteriorating....when I got out of treatment, I saw in one of my last scans where it had returned to 'stable.'

The problem is even without treatment anymore (if), chances are the joint will continue to weaken as I age (if I continue to make it) and the only cure is a hip replacement.  This has been cited in various medical journals. 

Climbing into a pair of pants....trying to put a pair of socks on....tying your shoes...or even getting up off the toilet can feel like Olympic events...the pain hurts so bad.  If I have to get down on the floor.....comical if it weren't so serious.

There are times when you barely move wrong and I feel the weight give way and I just about tumble....it makes me realize how I could never support my body weight....as only a fraction of pressure is exerted and it will give way. 

I'm sure I will have to deal with it at some point in my life...

The point I'm trying to make is that what we do today - we often have to pay for - the rest of our lives....in some cases.

And still, there is little choice in the matter.

I wanted to wish you the best of luck.....but wanted to keep it real with you.

I remain hopeful for you....but wanted you to be aware of any of the possibilities by giving you the benefit of my experience with it - should any of those conditions ever befall you in the future.  You might remember this conversation. 

Take care and best of luck! 

I'm glad for you that cancer is not present in those areas.  Real glad. And I hope you get the liver cleared up too...the world needs a guy like you.

• mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Great News Joe

Great news about that one hip and I hope that your treatment blasts those other hip buggers away!

Amy

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Good to Hear

Glad to hear this Joe!

• Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Great news.  Dwell on the

Great news.  Dwell on the positive.

• k44454445
    k44454445 Member Posts: 494
    good news!

wow what a scare! so glad it was not cancer. goodluck with the rest of your tx

hugs

judy

• Luckygirl2
    Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
    Double Happy

Great News!

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    That's great news!

That's great news!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Update

Sounds like good news.  Thank you for the update.  Hoping the rest of treatments go well.

Kim

• fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Great News

Joe,

That is great news.  Thank you for sharing this positively great and uplifting event in your life.  

((HUGS))  

Art