Diarrhea

Misbetty
Misbetty Member Posts: 5

My mom was diagnosed with appendical cancer 2008. She had her 3rd surgery this March 4 Which her colon was removed. No colostomy bag And no chemo. She has tried several OTC meds and perscription meds but she still has diarhea. She eats what the dr's/dietition suggested. She is down to 110 pds. She has been back to the dr. 3 times to get Iv fluids because she got dehydrated.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• AnnLouise
    AnnLouise Member Posts: 276 Member
    Suggestions...

Hydration is so important as you have found out. Sometimes Gatorade or ensure clear(has protein) will help or a bottled water called hydrate, which can be bought at most health food stores. Dehydration makes everything worse, which I found out the hard way. Some of you moms problems may improve with time, the colon takes a while to adjust and get better. I have found that Lomotil, a prescription drug has worked fairly well for me, although at times the doctor has to adjust the dose. Also the brat diet may be good at this time...bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Another important thing is that your moms potassium stays in the normal range (it sometimes drops with dehydration) and it normally is included with bloodwork, so just ask. Any other questions, please ask..~ Ann

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    diarrhea

I have had much diarrhea, but never a bout that LOMOTIL could't stop. Tell her to ask her DR. to prescribe it for her. Usually 2 pills works- I've never needed more than 4.  Good luck.

• Misbetty
    Misbetty Member Posts: 5
    Diarrhea

Thanks for the advice.

Mom took the Sandostatin shot for 4 days and it seemed to help. She went to the dr. Today and they gave her the same shot but said this would last for a month. She gained 3 ounces. Big news to us. She got the ok for Gatorade. 

Thanks again

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Suggestions

I beleive that several on here have recommended coconut milk to help.

I also wonder if pro-biotics capsule might help.

Marie who loves kitties

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Whole Oats

Whole Oatmeal really helps.  It has the bulk to slow the colon down, and has a lot of nutrition. Not the quick oats, which are not horrible, but real steal cut whole oats cooked for 30-40 minutes. 

Best Always,  mike