My Cherokee Irishman Has Gone Home

wolfen
wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

All My Friends,

With the help of the wonderful Hospice group, my Ron was transported to our home Saturday at 2:30 PM. Robert & I rode with him. It was expected that he would expire shortly afterward. However, he managed to hang on until 9:10 AM Sunday. There was no struggle, only my own. He woke as the vent was removed, opened his eyes & said "I am alive". But it was not to be. He returned to sleep immediately and was kept comfortable until his tired body said it was time to go. I believe he knew that we had brought him home. We played his favorite John Wayne movies, held his hands tightly, & talked to him all night. JBG woke & came into the room & cried saying "Please God, why don't you take him home." Ten minutes later he took his final breath. As I am not a person of strong faith as she is, it is very hard to wrap my mind around this, but she & Ron had a special bond, so who am I to question what happened?

I am numb. I know many of you have been here before and in time, we will get through this. I removed every nasty reminder of this terrible illness from my sight. I could not stand to look at all the meds & equipment. I'm hoping they'll get it out of my house tomorrow.

Even though I thought I knew this man so well, I did not realize he had had been saving small amounts of money to help us after he was gone, enough to put a down payment on his funeral. I found it with a small card I had purchased in the hospital gift shop & given to him him after he became so ill six months ago. I would like to share with you the words on this card:  I love you as you are. I love you as you will be. I love you because there's this little part of me(my heart)...that tells me that you and I were simply and always meant to be.

I cried when I found this card, for you see, that is what each of us felt for the other. I am proud to have been his wife for forty one years and he will always be in my heart.

Luv,

Wolfen

Comments

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Wolfen:

I am so very sorry.  

Love and hugs to you and your family - Tina

• abackhou
    abackhou Member Posts: 77 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss

of your dear husband.   Please accept my deepest condolences to you and family.  What a bueatiful card from the heart was left to you. RIP Ron you fought so well.

Andrew

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    Dear Wolfen

there are no words...

Thinking of you

Petra

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Wolfen

I'm so sorry for your loss...

• Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    Semira said:

Dear Wolfen

there are no words...

Thinking of you

Petra

Dear Wolfen, 
    I am so very

Dear Wolfen, 

I am so very sorry. The words in your card to Ron tell an incredible love story. May you find peace in the unconditional love you shared. 

Be gentle with yourself.

Hugs,

Cathleen Mary

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    So sorry for you and your
    So sorry for you and your family...hugs...
  • Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Sorry for your loss. May he
    Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Chelsea
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Deep Sorrow

Cannot express the sadness for your loss.  May he rest in peace and may you find comfort in his peace.  Art

• joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Love

Love is patient, love is kind and true love never ends.

Although you are apart, your love will grow for one another and he wants you to be happy as soon as you can find that happiness within you.

my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Joe

• plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Big hugs ....tears...

Big hugs to you and JBG! I've always love your solf, calm strength on here. I only wish we were able to be there in person for you to give that back and hepl hold you up, even though I know you loved ones will. Bless you wolfen for every kind word and gesture you have shared.

Love you, Gail

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    My condolences

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

J

• lorig01
    lorig01 Member Posts: 83
    I am so sorry for your loss.

You and your family are in my prayers. 

• Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Dear Wolfen & Family...

Our condolences to you all.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Ellen & Pat

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Wolfen

I am so sorry for your loss

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry

I'm sorry for your loss and hoping that the wonderful memories you shared through the years will sustain you through these rough times ahead.  You were a good wife and that was wonderful that he put it so beautifully into words for you.

Hugs!  Kim

• Lorikat
    Lorikat Member Posts: 681 Member
    Peace be with you...

Peace be with you...

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    So Sorry

I read your post this morning and sat in front of my screen and cried.  I'm not much of a crier and I was crying for someone I never even met.  Now some of it was "there but the grace of god go I", but most of it was damn it, he tried and worked so hard to stay with you and his family that it just doesn't seem fair somehow.  My God how I hate this disease.

My heart goes out to you Wolfen.

Joe

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    So sorry about your loss

I'm glad he was home with his family, and that you had a moment where he was awake. And yes, I do think he knew that you were there, playing his favorite movies and talking to him. It's a big world with so many possibilities, and yet you two found each other. I agree that you were meant to be together.

Keep in mind over the next few weeks that you're never alone--we're all with you and thinking of you.

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dearest Wolfen

There are no words to say as I reach across the miles to hold you and your family during this difficult time.

Hugs and love to you all,

Marie who loves kitties

• Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    Wolfen
    So so sorry for your loss. You have been through so much lately, I wish for peace for you and your family.
    Sandy