Open lung surgery colon mets - today - pls keep Fingers x-ed

Aicirtap
Aicirtap Member Posts: 55
edited April 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi,

Today my boyfriend checked in for surgery of his lung mets tomorro (it's 1am now). . Different to what the oncologist told my boyfriend last week, they are suspecting 4 mets on the left and 2 to 3 on the right lung (originally 4-5 total). they will do open surgery tomorrow only on the left side which they prefer doing laparoscopically (In order to be able to feel any additional mets the scan didn't show) and ablation of one spot on the liver. Once he recuperated - they think 2 to 4 weeks later - they want to do another open surgery on the right side of the Lung. Can anybody give me an indication on how bad these surgeries will be for him? Do they involve lots of pain? He has so far "only" been through colon and various liver surgeries (including about any complication one could think of). 

In addition, I haven't been in this forum for a long time but it would be wonderful if you could keep your fingers crossed / keep him in your prayers. 

Thank you!

paTricia 

Comments

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Finger are very crossed!!!
    Finger are very crossed!!! Good luck.

Chelsea
  • AnnLouise
    AnnLouise Member Posts: 276 Member
    Fingers are crossed in Chicago......

And prayers are on their way.......~Ann

• Aicirtap
    Chelsea71 said:

Finger are very crossed!!!
    Finger are very crossed!!! Good luck.

Chelsea

Thank you, Chelsea!

Thank you, Chelsea!

• Aicirtap
    AnnLouise said:

Fingers are crossed in Chicago......

And prayers are on their way.......~Ann

Thank you, Ann! 

Thank you, Ann! 

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    ALL fingers crossed

and thinking of you both!

*hug*

Petra

• steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Fingers and toes crossed

The pain may not be as bad since it is being done less invasive. I'll keep him in my prayers that all goes well with very little pain. Jeff

• Aicirtap

Fingers and toes crossed

The pain may not be as bad since it is being done less invasive. I'll keep him in my prayers that all goes well with very little pain. Jeff

Thank you everyone! must have

Thank you everyone! must have helped-he's out and in his room, joked a little and is sleeping now :-) surgery was normal invasive from what I understand. Open cut on the side and wedge resection. but I haven't spoken to a doctor yet so I don't know what they found and if they could take everything out. 

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    Aicirtap said:

Thank you everyone! must have

Thank you everyone! must have helped-he's out and in his room, joked a little and is sleeping now :-) surgery was normal invasive from what I understand. Open cut on the side and wedge resection. but I haven't spoken to a doctor yet so I don't know what they found and if they could take everything out. 

Hurray

Glad he is out and joking. Men are strange beings LOL. Mine startet flirting with the nurses again as soon as he woke up :-)

Wishing all the best for a fast recovery and clear margins!

Ein Knuddler aus Köln (a hug from Cologne)

Petra

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery

Glad surgery is over with an he seems in good spirits.  Hoping all continues to go well and he improves quickly.

Kim

• Aicirtap

Surgery

Glad surgery is over with an he seems in good spirits.  Hoping all continues to go well and he improves quickly.

Kim

Thank you so much! Thursday

Thank you so much! Thursday they will take out a spot on the liver (ablation) and then the other side of the lung in a few weeks once he is ok again. You are all so supportive! Thank you! 

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    Aicirtap said:

Thank you so much! Thursday

Thank you so much! Thursday they will take out a spot on the liver (ablation) and then the other side of the lung in a few weeks once he is ok again. You are all so supportive! Thank you! 

I'll keep you both in my

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    No experience with this type of surgery,

just wanted to wish your boyfriend good luck!  Keep us posted on how he does~Ann Alexandria

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Too late for surgery wishes

so I'll just say fingers and toes crossed for quick and gentle recovery. 

• Aicirtap
    YoVita said:

Too late for surgery wishes

so I'll just say fingers and toes crossed for quick and gentle recovery. 

Thank you :-)

Thank you :-)

• Aicirtap
    Thank you!

Hi everybody,

Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed - it helped a lot. My boyfriend had open lung surgery on Tuesday. I was expecting pretty rough days because I was told that its a surgery that causes a lot of pain. My boyfriend went through it in a breeze, got up the next day, did not take painpills during the day, had visitors he entertained and was very upbeat. Wednesday he had minimal-invasive liver ablation on one spot and recovered well until Thursday. He has actually been getting bored and will come home on Sunday. Since I took an unpaid leave from work for two months when we learned about his lung mets, I got to be with him every day morning to night (and to see how strong he actually is - i really admire him for it).

prior to surgery they told us that they assume that the right lung has 3-4 mets. The surgeon only found two nodules through palpation and only one seems to be cancerous. For now they got everything out. 

In about four weeks he will have his second open lung surgery on the left side if the scan does not show any changes. Keeping my fingers crossed and for now I will enjoy all the time I will have with him being of work. He can't be kept from going back to the office on Monday - but he loves his job so that's good. 

Thank you so much! 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Aicirtap said:

Thank you!

Hi everybody,

Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed - it helped a lot. My boyfriend had open lung surgery on Tuesday. I was expecting pretty rough days because I was told that its a surgery that causes a lot of pain. My boyfriend went through it in a breeze, got up the next day, did not take painpills during the day, had visitors he entertained and was very upbeat. Wednesday he had minimal-invasive liver ablation on one spot and recovered well until Thursday. He has actually been getting bored and will come home on Sunday. Since I took an unpaid leave from work for two months when we learned about his lung mets, I got to be with him every day morning to night (and to see how strong he actually is - i really admire him for it).

prior to surgery they told us that they assume that the right lung has 3-4 mets. The surgeon only found two nodules through palpation and only one seems to be cancerous. For now they got everything out. 

In about four weeks he will have his second open lung surgery on the left side if the scan does not show any changes. Keeping my fingers crossed and for now I will enjoy all the time I will have with him being of work. He can't be kept from going back to the office on Monday - but he loves his job so that's good. 

Thank you so much! 

Humour

Can't beat a good sense of humor. I'm so glad that your boyfriend is doing so well, both physically and emotionally. 

My two boys tell me that humour heals, I think they are on to somethihng. Of course, they go a bit too far sometimes, but I know it because they are scared. 

You and your boyfriend will be in my prayers.  

• Aicirtap
    Trubrit said:

Humour

Can't beat a good sense of humor. I'm so glad that your boyfriend is doing so well, both physically and emotionally. 

My two boys tell me that humour heals, I think they are on to somethihng. Of course, they go a bit too far sometimes, but I know it because they are scared. 

You and your boyfriend will be in my prayers.  

I agree. Humor and attitude

I agree. Humor and attitude seems to chanlots lot, including the people, doctors and friends around the patient. You will be in my prayers, too. Thank you for your post! 

• Hooley
    Hooley Member Posts: 156
    Aicirtap said:

I agree. Humor and attitude

I agree. Humor and attitude seems to chanlots lot, including the people, doctors and friends around the patient. You will be in my prayers, too. Thank you for your post! 

Same

Tkyou fr sharing.   How any mm were the lung mets.  I have one in left lung 20mm and three in right. Rage 44mm.  After 3 years of chemo just starting to shrink.  Initial lung specalst said couldn't op.   thoracic surgeon at week said could key hole left but prob have to cut right side fir right ones cos of large one. Sad 50% chance of nerve damage which can be quite painful but can live with on medication!   Love to know more from u.  Size, location etc  Very promsing.    Did they have to cut ribs?

• Aicirtap
    Hooley said:

Same

Tkyou fr sharing.   How any mm were the lung mets.  I have one in left lung 20mm and three in right. Rage 44mm.  After 3 years of chemo just starting to shrink.  Initial lung specalst said couldn't op.   thoracic surgeon at week said could key hole left but prob have to cut right side fir right ones cos of large one. Sad 50% chance of nerve damage which can be quite painful but can live with on medication!   Love to know more from u.  Size, location etc  Very promsing.    Did they have to cut ribs?

Hi hooley, Sorry for

Hi hooley, Sorry for answering so late. Sometimes I miss replies. 

They are doing both sides in open surgery and not key hole although they could have. His surgeons said that they would prefer to palpate to find anything they didn't see on the scan. In the first surgery they took wedges from the upper and lower lobe. The nodules were both smaller than 20mm. He hasn't had a lot of trouble with the surgery yet and they didn't cut any ribs. On the other side, on which they are planning to do surgery in a couple of weeks, there is controversy. One met is 1.5 cm and located in the upper lobe. The surgeons want to take the entire lobe, while the oncologists want it done minimal invasively with ablation. we have not figured out what the right way to go is. He also has a small lesion in the lower lobe which the surgeons want to take in a wedge (the other option is again ablation). I hope this answers some questions. Why do your doctors have trouble with resecting? Because of the location?

best

patricia 

• platt9730
    platt9730 Member Posts: 3
    Open lung surgery for colon mets

I had my first surgery in 2006 and another in 2009.  Wishing the best to your boyfriend.  I'm curious if they do the surgery the same these days.  They went through my back each time and removed a wedge of my left lobe.  Strangely the lobe eventually fills the empty space left from the removed lung.  I find I'm a bit short of breath sometimes while trying to play tennis, but happy to be playing tennis at all.  I'm 64 years old so I'm not sure if it is my age or the surgeries, or both.  I do have my fingers crossed for your boyfriend and wish him well in the months ahead.   

'