Husband's surgery tomorrow

2»

Comments

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    jen2012 said:

Thanks...surgery went well.
    Thanks...surgery went well. Was 5 hrs...couldnt be done laparascopically. Surgeon said he had an amazing response to chemo and he had a hard time finding where the tumor was. He thinks he got clear margins but we'll know for sure next week. Ileostomy is temporary. Hubby is already doing laps around the nurses station. Complaining mostly about a painful shoulder. One nurse said it sometimes happens during laparascopic surgery from the air they use? Everyone seems to have a different opinion...but no solution!

Great news!

Jen,

Great news regarding your husband's successful surgery! 

As of today, I am 2 weeks post surgery for the removal of my colorectal tumor.  (After 6 weeks of chemoradiation, my tumor also shrunk substantially and was being referred to as an "ulcer".  The surgeon said he could barely find it, as well). Before they could remove my tumor, though, the surgeon called in an OB/GYN to remove my uterus - as it was the size of a 20 week pregnant uterus due to numerous fibroid tumors that I knew about previously - and he didn't have a clear filed to do the resection.  So, they removed my uterus as well as my ovary - as it looked "funny" (due to radiation therapy). Once the uterus was removed, the tumor removal went smoothly and fortunately I didn't have to have any kind of ostomy (which surgeon couldn't say for sure until the actual surgery). So, I can't give you any tips on the ostomy situation - but there are many here that can.

I, too, was walking laps around the surgical floor daily.  Encourage that!  The more he walks, the more blood flow to heal the incisions, and the more the gas dissipates.  (Gas is more painful than the surgical site, I found). I've had shoulder "gas" before - and found that sticking my rear end in the air and shoulders to the ground can let gravity do its work and move the gas around and out.  Unfortunately, with an abdominal incision, this won't likely work as movement is limited.  So, the walking is the likely the best solution here.

I was released from the hospital earlier than my surgeon originally planned (again, I'm sure to my pacing the floors daily).  Surgery Thursday afternoon (late) and released from the hospital the following Wednesday. Stopped taking painkillers on Saturday after returning home - as I think they were making me have a rebound effect of increased pain.  Further, I was concerned about constipation issues and these prescriptions can cause that.  Regular Tylenol is working just fine.  The "pain" feels more like "bruising" now anyway.  Like I was the recipient of a boxers numerous punches to my abdomen.  I had my surgical staples removed this past Tuesday.  It stings a bit when they are removed but isn't painful.

Today, I'm driving myself to my oncologist appointment.  So, tell your husband to be encouraged.  I may have been what they considered a "healthy 50 year old woman" - but I'm far from in shape or living a healthy life style (compared to many others).  I am, however, stubborn - so maybe that counts for something??? :)

Best wishes to both your husband and yourself on his speedy recover.  Stay positive! I hope to hear good updates!

J

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Shoulder is getting better.
    Shoulder is getting better. Hes running a slight fever now so they are keeping a close eye on that. Hes beat...no rest to be had in the hospital! Hes been dosing all morning but it seems like every 5 to 10 mins someone is at the door.
  • jen2012
    db8ne1 said:

Great news!

Jen,

As of today, I am 2 weeks post surgery for the removal of my colorectal tumor.  (After 6 weeks of chemoradiation, my tumor also shrunk substantially and was being referred to as an "ulcer".  The surgeon said he could barely find it, as well). Before they could remove my tumor, though, the surgeon called in an OB/GYN to remove my uterus - as it was the size of a 20 week pregnant uterus due to numerous fibroid tumors that I knew about previously - and he didn't have a clear filed to do the resection.  So, they removed my uterus as well as my ovary - as it looked "funny" (due to radiation therapy). Once the uterus was removed, the tumor removal went smoothly and fortunately I didn't have to have any kind of ostomy (which surgeon couldn't say for sure until the actual surgery). So, I can't give you any tips on the ostomy situation - but there are many here that can.

I, too, was walking laps around the surgical floor daily.  Encourage that!  The more he walks, the more blood flow to heal the incisions, and the more the gas dissipates.  (Gas is more painful than the surgical site, I found). I've had shoulder "gas" before - and found that sticking my rear end in the air and shoulders to the ground can let gravity do its work and move the gas around and out.  Unfortunately, with an abdominal incision, this won't likely work as movement is limited.  So, the walking is the likely the best solution here.

I was released from the hospital earlier than my surgeon originally planned (again, I'm sure to my pacing the floors daily).  Surgery Thursday afternoon (late) and released from the hospital the following Wednesday. Stopped taking painkillers on Saturday after returning home - as I think they were making me have a rebound effect of increased pain.  Further, I was concerned about constipation issues and these prescriptions can cause that.  Regular Tylenol is working just fine.  The "pain" feels more like "bruising" now anyway.  Like I was the recipient of a boxers numerous punches to my abdomen.  I had my surgical staples removed this past Tuesday.  It stings a bit when they are removed but isn't painful.

Today, I'm driving myself to my oncologist appointment.  So, tell your husband to be encouraged.  I may have been what they considered a "healthy 50 year old woman" - but I'm far from in shape or living a healthy life style (compared to many others).  I am, however, stubborn - so maybe that counts for something??? :)

Best wishes to both your husband and yourself on his speedy recover.  Stay positive! I hope to hear good updates!

J

Wow..thanks for the
    Wow..thanks for the encouragement. Sounds like you are doing very well! Good luck at the onc appt!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    jen2012 said:

Shoulder is getting better.
    Shoulder is getting better. Hes running a slight fever now so they are keeping a close eye on that. Hes beat...no rest to be had in the hospital! Hes been dosing all morning but it seems like every 5 to 10 mins someone is at the door.

Yea!

Hey Jen

He's "running" laps now.....morphine is an amazing drug...you can come out of surgery and lap the field.

Wait till he gets home though...once the last shot of morphine wears off, it can be a brand new ballgame - all of a sudden, you can go back to ground zero....morph keeps you on your feet and sometimes paints a false illusion of how things will be.

Not for everyone...but just be prepared if he changes back a little bit.  Because, mostly what they send you home on Oxycodone or Tramadol, perhaps Percoset if you can get approval for it. 

I didn't respond too well to these medications......meaning, they really didn't work for me to even dull the pain...and they can back you up, etc. etc.  So, for myself, I tend to just gut it out and live through the pain.

But, if hubby does respond favorably to any of the meds he will be sent home with, then make sure you get up on the pain before they discharge him from the hospital.....call for another morphine shot before you go....that will get him home and in the door before those meds wean out of him...then you can have him take his prescription rx's to stay ahead of the pain curve....once breakout pain sets in, it's very difficult to get ahead of it again.

So, for awhile, just have him keep taking them even if he doesn't feel like it or thinks he's bettere.....perhaps a week or two?

I had shoulder pain too when I did my last lung surgery....it wasn't from air though....they said it was from the way they positioned my body for the surgery....one of the gals I trust, said they massage you like dough in there and put you in some pretty precarious positions......thank goodness we are unconscious:)

So very glad that surgery went well....what a relief to you both.  Just wanted to say hi and wish you both the speediest of recoveries with minimal pain:)

-Craig

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    jen2012 said:

Thanks...surgery went well. Was 5 hrs...couldnt be done laparascopically. Surgeon said he had an amazing response to chemo and he had a hard time finding where the tumor was. He thinks he got clear margins but we'll know for sure next week. Ileostomy is temporary. Hubby is already doing laps around the nurses station. Complaining mostly about a painful shoulder. One nurse said it sometimes happens during laparascopic surgery from the air they use? Everyone seems to have a different opinion...but no solution!

Jumping for joy!

What wonderful news!

Tumour gone, out of bed and doing laps already. This is all good news. 

I know the waiting for the results of biosies are hard, but you both seem to be handling this as well as can be expected. 

We'll wait here for the biopsy repot. 

I had shoulder pain with every laparoscopy I've had (and I've had several). It just gravitates upward and comes out your shoulders. Its short lived. 

Blessings!

• jen2012
    Sundanceh said:

Yea!

Hey Jen

He's "running" laps now.....morphine is an amazing drug...you can come out of surgery and lap the field.

Wait till he gets home though...once the last shot of morphine wears off, it can be a brand new ballgame - all of a sudden, you can go back to ground zero....morph keeps you on your feet and sometimes paints a false illusion of how things will be.

Not for everyone...but just be prepared if he changes back a little bit.  Because, mostly what they send you home on Oxycodone or Tramadol, perhaps Percoset if you can get approval for it. 

I didn't respond too well to these medications......meaning, they really didn't work for me to even dull the pain...and they can back you up, etc. etc.  So, for myself, I tend to just gut it out and live through the pain.

But, if hubby does respond favorably to any of the meds he will be sent home with, then make sure you get up on the pain before they discharge him from the hospital.....call for another morphine shot before you go....that will get him home and in the door before those meds wean out of him...then you can have him take his prescription rx's to stay ahead of the pain curve....once breakout pain sets in, it's very difficult to get ahead of it again.

So, for awhile, just have him keep taking them even if he doesn't feel like it or thinks he's bettere.....perhaps a week or two?

I had shoulder pain too when I did my last lung surgery....it wasn't from air though....they said it was from the way they positioned my body for the surgery....one of the gals I trust, said they massage you like dough in there and put you in some pretty precarious positions......thank goodness we are unconscious:)

So very glad that surgery went well....what a relief to you both.  Just wanted to say hi and wish you both the speediest of recoveries with minimal pain:)

-Craig

Thanks for the good advice
    Thanks for the good advice Craig! Funny the surgical team thought it was positioning too...but then wouldnt the pain meds help? Think im going with the nurse on it being from the air. Temp is going up and hes not feeling to great...took him down for a chest xray...waiting on results.
  • db8ne1
    jen2012 said:

Wow..thanks for the
    Wow..thanks for the encouragement. Sounds like you are doing very well! Good luck at the onc appt!

A bit more info

The first night - right after surgery - the morphine pump wasn't cutting it for me.  Everyone reacts differently to pain meds.  (What works for one may or may not work for another - due to their chemical make-up).  Plus, I have a bad back - so back pain was (is) an issue for me, as well.  So, they gave me shots of Toradol every 6 hours for the first couple of days.  It's a really heavy duty anti inflammatory - but it can cause kidney damage.  The max they let me have it was 48 hours - if I remember correctly.  But it did help me get through the first few days.

Also, I ran a low grade fever off and on the first several days, as well.  I think that may be pretty common and was told unless it was over 100.5 (my highest was like 100.2), it would not likely be a problem.  Here's praying that your husband's temp stays low!

Prior to leaving the hospital, I was switched to Percocet for pain.  Frankly, the oral Percocet worked better for me than the morphine pain pump.  My pain was significantly less.  I could have 2 every 4-6 hours.  I chose to try 1 every 4 hours and pretty much kept to that schedule for a couple of days.  Then I gradually weened myself down to 3 a day.  After a day or two more, I realized that the "level" of pain that I was having when it wore off was worse than prior to the RX.  So, I switched to plain Tylenol.  Now I only take the Percocet at night - as by the end of the day my bad back is killing me from over compensation of my belly wound/incision.

Again, everyone is different - so hang in there!

BTW - My onc appointment went well. Surgeon left notes that my post surgery progress has been "remarkable".  Post surgery chemo starts in 2 weeks.  Not looking forward to the chemo - but looking forward to getting this over with!  :)

Best,

J

• Trubrit
    db8ne1 said:

Great news!

Jen,

J

Healthy? But don't I have Cancer?

I love it when my Oncologist tells me I'm healthy.  People outside of our disease don't seem to realize that you can have Cancer and be healthy. That, I guess, is why so many people end up stage 4 before knowing that something is even going on inside of them. 

I enjoyed your post, as it sounded allot like my hospital experience. Much better than the Chemo, I can tell you. 

• Trubrit
    jen2012 said:

Thanks for the good advice Craig! Funny the surgical team thought it was positioning too...but then wouldnt the pain meds help? Think im going with the nurse on it being from the air. Temp is going up and hes not feeling to great...took him down for a chest xray...waiting on results.

Posiioning

I think it was probably the position Craig had to be in for his surgery, whereas, I think your husband was proably on his back.

• db8ne1
    Trubrit said:

Healthy? But don't I have Cancer?

I love it when my Oncologist tells me I'm healthy.  People outside of our disease don't seem to realize that you can have Cancer and be healthy. That, I guess, is why so many people end up stage 4 before knowing that something is even going on inside of them. 

I enjoyed your post, as it sounded allot like my hospital experience. Much better than the Chemo, I can tell you. 

I Know, Right?

I laughed the first time my oncology team described me as healthy!  :-)  

I'm thinking:  I have cancer.  Healthy.  Really?  I guess it's because I'm "only" Stage 3.  I do get the feeling that none of my oncology team has ever had cancer...but they do mean well.

• db8ne1
    jen2012 said:

Pain and Gas

One more thing the surgical team/nurses didn't tell me beforehand.  I had really bad intenstinal pain after surgery due to gas (likely both mine and the gas they pump you up with).  The gas was more painful than the incision.  The nurses finally told me that, unfortunately, the pain meds don't really touch the gas pains. (So, I've been pushing the pain pump for nothing??).  You just have to wait for them to pass.  (Here again, walking does help...).

Best of luck!

J

• jen2012
    db8ne1 said:

A bit more info

The first night - right after surgery - the morphine pump wasn't cutting it for me.  Everyone reacts differently to pain meds.  (What works for one may or may not work for another - due to their chemical make-up).  Plus, I have a bad back - so back pain was (is) an issue for me, as well.  So, they gave me shots of Toradol every 6 hours for the first couple of days.  It's a really heavy duty anti inflammatory - but it can cause kidney damage.  The max they let me have it was 48 hours - if I remember correctly.  But it did help me get through the first few days.

Also, I ran a low grade fever off and on the first several days, as well.  I think that may be pretty common and was told unless it was over 100.5 (my highest was like 100.2), it would not likely be a problem.  Here's praying that your husband's temp stays low!

Prior to leaving the hospital, I was switched to Percocet for pain.  Frankly, the oral Percocet worked better for me than the morphine pain pump.  My pain was significantly less.  I could have 2 every 4-6 hours.  I chose to try 1 every 4 hours and pretty much kept to that schedule for a couple of days.  Then I gradually weened myself down to 3 a day.  After a day or two more, I realized that the "level" of pain that I was having when it wore off was worse than prior to the RX.  So, I switched to plain Tylenol.  Now I only take the Percocet at night - as by the end of the day my bad back is killing me from over compensation of my belly wound/incision.

Again, everyone is different - so hang in there!

BTW - My onc appointment went well. Surgeon left notes that my post surgery progress has been "remarkable".  Post surgery chemo starts in 2 weeks.  Not looking forward to the chemo - but looking forward to getting this over with!  :)

Best,

J

His went up to 101.7
    His went up to 101.7 earlier...but last checked it was 99. Surgeon isnt worried...no word on xray yet. Hes getting cranky...too many in and out of the room. Poor volunteer came in to ask if he wanted magazines...water...anything. he said just want to sleep! She left quickly...
  • wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    db8ne1 said:

Pain and Gas

One more thing the surgical team/nurses didn't tell me beforehand.  I had really bad intenstinal pain after surgery due to gas (likely both mine and the gas they pump you up with).  The gas was more painful than the incision.  The nurses finally told me that, unfortunately, the pain meds don't really touch the gas pains. (So, I've been pushing the pain pump for nothing??).  You just have to wait for them to pass.  (Here again, walking does help...).

Best of luck!

J

Jen

Before I head out to my "home away from home"(wish it was a Comfort Inn,  LOL), just wanted to say how glad i am that all went well. Give your hubby & baby a kiss for me.

Luv,

Wolfen

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    jen2012 said:

Wonderful to hear

The news about the tumor and looking clear is wonderful, happy for both of you.

now to the shoulder pain, it could be one of two things I believe from experience.  The first possibility is an air pocket, aftesurgery any many many years ago I had this horrible pain in the shoulder, so bad it made me cry (it takes a lot of pain to do that, never cried from the colon/liver/ureter resection) but the shoulder pain was so so bad.  It took almost two weeks before it left, nothing you can do about it but bear it.  It was a very sharp pain that did not take movement to hurt, and if I bent that side down and walked funny it would go away.

the second time was after my resections, according to my onc, they throw your shoulders up and are not particularly careful about it, once I got cortisone injections in each shoulder the pain went away within a couple of days.  This pain was caused by movement.

hoping it's one of those, if cortisone shot doesn't work then it's probably an air pocket.  I am so sorry for his pain.

Winter Marie

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Glad to hear the surgery results were so good!

My surgeon actually prefers the full opening for this type of surgery, as he feels he can really look around in there and make sure he doesn't miss anything.  All of mine have been done thay way.  Longer period of healing, but I've had some great results.  Hope this will be the case for your DH too...and I hope he's starting to feel better.  Hard to do while you're still in the hospital, unfortunately.  Gotta get him home asap. Hugs to both of you~AA