Relief from pain in the butt

alexinlv
alexinlv Member Posts: 194 Member

Day 6 since chemo started and in my husbands words his butt is on fire! "a cross between a hot poker and pool acid" every time he goes.  So dear friends, any suggestions for relief from  the pain? Thanks, alex

Comments

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    Sometimes this would happen to my husband ...

do you think it could be hemorrhoids?  This can make the rectal area very sore.  

We sometimes used ice packs or warm wash rags to soothe the area.  Also, you might try changing diet for 24 hours to low-fiber foods like banana, plain yogurt, rice and eat 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3.  Instead of toilet paper you can use a baby wipes or even a spray warm water bottle and then gently pat dry.  Staying away from alcohol, coffee, spicy or greasy foods is also helpful.

Hopefully others will share their thoughts as well. -- Best, Cynthia

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    Suggestions from my experience

I had the same thing at the end of my chemoradiation therapy.  I'm sorry to hear that he is going through this.  It was so bad I thought I might have had anal fissures.  (I could have - don't really know - but the pain matched the description).  Anyway, the last week of radiation was especially concentrated.  Along with the 5FU I received daily, and the fact that the radiation keeps working for quite some time after the radiation therapy actually stops, I was in a lot of discomfort (and still working 40 hours per week). So, I had to try everything.  Thankfully (or not as it was also painful to sit) I have a "sit down" job! :)

I stopped eating for a couple of days (although your doc might not recommend or approve of this.  I didn't consult them, but I DID drink copious amounts of fluids so as not to get dehyrdated).  I didn't have much of an appetite and I figured if I slowed down my intestines by not supplying those buggers with food, they might have a better chance to heal.  I went to Walgreens and spent $15 on a sitz bath that I put over my toilet and used it 3-5 times a day using PLAIN very warm water. (Some times more often, even).  Take a book along - that's a long time when sitting there!  Don't Wipe - Pat Dry - No Rubbing!  For BM's - use moistened wipes without alcohol.  After the sitz I alternated with vitamin E oil application (using a Q tip to get a little inside the anus). I also used either Triple Antibiotic Ointment or A&D Ointment (on a Preparation H nozzle to insert it).  In addition, I added Zinc, C, and D to my vitamin supplements (to promote healing).

Whatever I did - it seemed to work!  It lasted a couple of days and then finally got better.  Haven't had it since.  Of course, mine was more due to the radiation, I think, than the chemo.

I hope he feels better soon!

J

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hi:

Because of the diarrhea, George's butt was so very sore.  He found that Cottonelle Wipes, Scott Wipes,  or any of the wipes by the toilet paper area in the store really helped, they are larger than the baby wipes.  A sitz (don't know if I spelled that right) bath also can be helpful, the warm water helps soothe things. 

Take care - Tina

• Luckygirl2
    Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
    baby wipes

and hot baths were my best friends at times! 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Baby wipes

I've bough a box full of Huggies Aloe Vera baby wipes for when I get my radiation. 

I have constipation with the Chemo, which I use the wipes for because of hemeroids and they are really good. 

I have also bought pure Aloe Vera liquid. Not gel, just liquid.

I hope you and you husband finds what works for him, as we are all different. 

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Trubrit said:

Baby wipes

I've bough a box full of Huggies Aloe Vera baby wipes for when I get my radiation. 

I have constipation with the Chemo, which I use the wipes for because of hemeroids and they are really good. 

I have also bought pure Aloe Vera liquid. Not gel, just liquid.

I hope you and you husband finds what works for him, as we are all different. 

the wipes

are a good suggestion but when i get that way i use A&D ointment ,hope all these suggestions are helpful....Godbless....johnnybegood

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

the wipes

are a good suggestion but when i get that way i use A&D ointment ,hope all these suggestions are helpful....Godbless....johnnybegood

A&D ointment

I'lll have to look for that. Is it a prescription or OTC?

I want to be as prepared as I can. 

• tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    I remember that pain all too well.

What worked for me was ice packs put on a wash cloth and applied directly to the area. That and a couple of Advil (800 mg) would give me some relief. Advil of course isn't as strong as Rx meds, but it also doesn't have boomerang side effects, like constipation, which leads to straining, which leads to....you get the picture.

I hope this helps a little bit~

Tommycat

• olgrizz
    olgrizz Member Posts: 16
    My surgeon gave me a bunch of

My surgeon gave me a bunch of sample packs of "Butt Paste". Messy, but it did great for me.

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    olgrizz said:

My surgeon gave me a bunch of

My surgeon gave me a bunch of sample packs of "Butt Paste". Messy, but it did great for me.

ha butt paste

dont mean to laugh but i really need a laugh rite now.its just the names of these products we use are too funny.some of them that i have seen are ....monkey butt(powder for your hiney)and then there is chicken poop(lipbalm for chapped lips).....Trubrit you can get A&D ointment otc.  hugs to all...Godbless...johnnybegood

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    I think there's something that's prescription...

a lotion of some kind?  I think it's like the stuff you can put on your port to numb it (lidocain?), and it helps to numb the rectal area.  I remember that pain all too well.  I had times where I spent the whole day in the bathroom, just traveling from toilet to warm bath (which also helped), and back again.  Good times...Undecided  AA

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Great advice from others

I just want to add that Nupercainal ointment (creates a numbing sensation) and Tucks wipes worked wonders for me.  Hope things settle down soon for hubby. 

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Damp Wash cloth

I washed my hiney with a very damp washcloth and the coat my hiney with calmospetine or nupercnail to protect against the nest hosing out the hiney.   One is releasing  lot of acidout the hiney and it is burning the hiney,

Lots of lomotil!    Else, I could not get it to stop.

Best Always,  mike

• Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    Calmoseptine

Lots of good suggestions here. My daughter used Calmoseptine during her chemo with radiation and it helped immensely. Witch hazel is also very soothing - Tucks pads have witch hazel. Best wishes.

Sandy