Recovery from HIPEC surgery

My husband had HIPEC surgery at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital on July 18, 2011. The surgery lasted 5 hours and they only found one area in the peritoneal with active cancer. Dr. Levine took 10 spots and only 1 was active. The rest had been killed by the 6 months of 5 FU chemo. The worst part about the surgery was that he did not have to go in ICU so he was on a general surgery floor. No nurses that cared for him initially had any experience with HIPEC (by their own admission!)and so I believe his care was compromised. He got a urniary tract infection one week after surgery and had to go to the ER with pain and the following week another ER visit (on the weekend again) with a prostate infection. This was extremely painful.

The mornings are very difficult to get going and he has a lot of burning and sharp pain after he eats. Other than that it isn't too terrible but bad enough.

We would appreciate any other info. anyone else has. Hopefully, he will not be approached with more chemo unless something shows up on a scan. He sees Dr. Levine on Aug. 19th and his cancer oncologist on Aug. 3lst for his scan.

My husband is 59 and in Oct. 2010 at age 58 he had a colon resection after discovering colon cancer from a colonospy. He had a physical in July that determined he was anemic. They found out the blood was feeding the tumor. It was a flat tumor - barely detectable and it had gone into the omentum, one tiny place in the pelvis and 4 lymph nodes. The colon itself was ok after the resection. The recovery from the resection went well and swift compared to the HIPEC surgery! In Nov. he did 5 FU chemo through a port in his chest and would do chemo continuously for 2 days every other week. His last chemo was April 21st. They did have to cut the chemo back after the 2nd chemo by 20% so he could tolerate it. He got blood clots in January from the Avastin and now his neuropathy which was never bad during the chemo seems to get worse. Has anyone else had any luck with anything for neuropathy???

Thank you,
Dontgiveup

Comments

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi, My Rick had HIPEC last

Hi, My Rick had HIPEC last November, so if you have any questions, please feel free to send us a PM. All my best, Cynthia
  • jmaddox915
    jmaddox915 Member Posts: 80 Member

Hi, My Rick had HIPEC last November, so if you have any questions, please feel free to send us a PM. All my best, Cynthia

I am considering this
    I am considering this procedure and have contacted Dr. Levine. I recently discovered I have a recurrence of my colon cancer with some activity in my abdomen. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My oncologist said if I wanted to purse it he would help me but wasn't sure if it was necessary.
  • dontgiveup
    dontgiveup Member Posts: 3

How is Rick now
    How is your husband now? Did he have chemo be4 or after HIPEC? Where do you live? We are in NC. We used to live in Charlotte and now live near Danville, VA How R U holding up?

Thanks for contacting me.

dontgiveup

my husband's story is on www.caringbridge.org under lennystadler
  • dontgiveup
    dontgiveup Member Posts: 3

I am considering this
    I am considering this procedure and have contacted Dr. Levine. I recently discovered I have a recurrence of my colon cancer with some activity in my abdomen. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My oncologist said if I wanted to purse it he would help me but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

How long since first bout of cancer?
    Dr. Levine is very outgoing and we really like him. He is a great surgeon. Just ask for him to do the bulk of the work. There are always several attending physicians and some are students! The HIPEC is rough but it is worth it. It is hard to believe after all the chemo my husband received/he still had one active place. How much chemo have you already had?
  • jmaddox915
    jmaddox915 Member Posts: 80 Member

How long since first bout of cancer?
    Dr. Levine is very outgoing and we really like him. He is a great surgeon. Just ask for him to do the bulk of the work. There are always several attending physicians and some are students! The HIPEC is rough but it is worth it. It is hard to believe after all the chemo my husband received/he still had one active place. How much chemo have you already had?

When all this started back
    When all this started back in July of 2009, I had surgery and then 11 rounds of Folfox6 and some Avastin. I was declared NED in April of 2010 however, had a cancer show up in my ovary and had it removed. I then did about 6 months of Xeloda and Avastin. Scans clear in March of 2011 and then found a recurrence about a month ago.

I really don't know which way to turn on this. I go back in for surgery on the 17th to remove the cancer from my colon and they will then explore my abdomen to see what is going on there. Pretty scary...I don't want to have any regrets that I didn't do everything I could do to beat this.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member

How is Rick now
    How is your husband now? Did he have chemo be4 or after HIPEC? Where do you live? We are in NC. We used to live in Charlotte and now live near Danville, VA How R U holding up?

Thanks for contacting me.

dontgiveup

my husband's story is on www.caringbridge.org under lennystadler

Hi, I sent you a PM. -
    Hi, I sent you a PM. - Cynthia
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Neuropathy
    Hi: I am on the folfoxfiri chemo treatment (oxaliplatin/irenotecan/5FU pump/leucovin) and got extreme neuropathy right away. Since that first experience, my oncologist reduced the oxaliplatin dose and infusion rate and I've been taking 5 grams of L-Glutamine powder mixed into juice every day, plus alpha liloic acid capsules 3 times a day, calcium/magnesium once a day, and vit B6 once a day. I don't have neuropathy much any more except for some tenderness on the sole of one foot.
    Hope works for him.
    Cheryl
  • campesek
    campesek Member Posts: 1
    HIPEC/Neuropathy

My husband is currently undergoing chemo prior to his HIPEC surgery which will hopefully take place in early May. He too developed blood clots from the AVASTIN, so he has had to be on blood thinners for 90 days before they will touch him. You would think maybe blood thinners would be common with AVASTIN from the get go, but I have learned not to use too much logic. But he has also developed more neuropathy. Something I can recommend, believe it or not, is regular pedicures. I took my husband the other day for his first one and he just LOVED it. Mostly for the massage therapy aspect, not for his toe nails! LOL. I think that the pedicure can help not only mentally, but with circulation as well. Also, for neuropathy in the hands, we buy these hand warmers from academy and those really help.

My question for everyone is in regards to the HIPEC surgery coming up. I am starting to get anxious and scared, he just wants to get on with it. What can I do to help him in his recovery and what can he do now to help? Anything? I read on another post someone said he stopped chemo a couple of months prior so that he felt strong and was walking up to a few miles each day, and he believes that really helped with his recovery. I know of course everyone is different, but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kathleen

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    campesek said:

HIPEC/Neuropathy

My husband is currently undergoing chemo prior to his HIPEC surgery which will hopefully take place in early May. He too developed blood clots from the AVASTIN, so he has had to be on blood thinners for 90 days before they will touch him. You would think maybe blood thinners would be common with AVASTIN from the get go, but I have learned not to use too much logic. But he has also developed more neuropathy. Something I can recommend, believe it or not, is regular pedicures. I took my husband the other day for his first one and he just LOVED it. Mostly for the massage therapy aspect, not for his toe nails! LOL. I think that the pedicure can help not only mentally, but with circulation as well. Also, for neuropathy in the hands, we buy these hand warmers from academy and those really help.

My question for everyone is in regards to the HIPEC surgery coming up. I am starting to get anxious and scared, he just wants to get on with it. What can I do to help him in his recovery and what can he do now to help? Anything? I read on another post someone said he stopped chemo a couple of months prior so that he felt strong and was walking up to a few miles each day, and he believes that really helped with his recovery. I know of course everyone is different, but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kathleen

It might no be Avasin causing

It might no be Avasin causing the clots. I had 2 clots 5 years ago when I was on FOLFIRI and Avastin. However I had a clot last year when I was on FOLFIRI and Vectibix and I didnt get any clots when I was on FOLOX and Avastin. That leads me to believe Irinotecan from the FOLFIRI cocktail was causing the clots.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    campesek said:

HIPEC/Neuropathy

Kathleen

Welcome Kathleen

As you have added your post to an old thread, you might want to open up a new thread of your own, so that people can see your questions and answer them in the new thread. 

Good luck with all that is happening in the lives of your family. 

You have come to a most wonderful place to get support, love and loads of information. 

• TR
    TR Member Posts: 12

HIPEC

Hello - I know this an older post ...but I am looking for some help and advice.  My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer - at the age 0f 39.  We have four young children and he is willing to fight against all odds.  He has been on chemo for 8 months - every two weeks.  We finally got his CEA levels to aan all time low - and they reccomended him for HIPEC surgery in Buffalo, NY.  The only things that needed to be done for the operation to happen - was that he needed to be off chemo for 6-8 weeks.  Everything was looking good until the 7th week - then it all fell apart.  It was too long to be off chemo - and the cancer spread....back to the original point of detenation in the colon area.  They cancelled the surgery and put him back on chemo.  He is suffering with pain and neuropathy - and I am not sure if he can handle any more.  They said they dont want to dismiss the idea of having the surgery in a few months....if the levels go down again.  They say they will cosider doing the surgery after being off chemo for only three weeks this time?  What do you think?  I have prayed and prayed that this surgery would happen - and that it would allow him to stay with us for a longer time....

TR

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    TR said:

HIPEC

Hello - I know this an older post ...but I am looking for some help and advice.  My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer - at the age 0f 39.  We have four young children and he is willing to fight against all odds.  He has been on chemo for 8 months - every two weeks.  We finally got his CEA levels to aan all time low - and they reccomended him for HIPEC surgery in Buffalo, NY.  The only things that needed to be done for the operation to happen - was that he needed to be off chemo for 6-8 weeks.  Everything was looking good until the 7th week - then it all fell apart.  It was too long to be off chemo - and the cancer spread....back to the original point of detenation in the colon area.  They cancelled the surgery and put him back on chemo.  He is suffering with pain and neuropathy - and I am not sure if he can handle any more.  They said they dont want to dismiss the idea of having the surgery in a few months....if the levels go down again.  They say they will cosider doing the surgery after being off chemo for only three weeks this time?  What do you think?  I have prayed and prayed that this surgery would happen - and that it would allow him to stay with us for a longer time....

TR

Welcome TR to the CSN!

I

Welcome TR to the CSN!

I recommend to start a new post to get more responses.  

I would get a second opinion.  My Docs seem to think I will be a canidate for HIPEC weeks after I am done with Chemo.  They did not want to wait long, becasue they are looking for tumor shrinkage and do not want to wait for tumor growth.  I am on my next to last cheemo treatment and we just scheduled the PET scan and are confirming records being sent to the surgeon for HIPEC. I am scheduling on the hopes for a positive scan in 1 month for surgery to follow within two weeks.

Just a thought.

Best Always,  mike

• TR
    TR Member Posts: 12
    thxmiker said:

Welcome TR to the CSN!

I

Welcome TR to the CSN!

I recommend to start a new post to get more responses.  

I would get a second opinion.  My Docs seem to think I will be a canidate for HIPEC weeks after I am done with Chemo.  They did not want to wait long, becasue they are looking for tumor shrinkage and do not want to wait for tumor growth.  I am on my next to last cheemo treatment and we just scheduled the PET scan and are confirming records being sent to the surgeon for HIPEC. I am scheduling on the hopes for a positive scan in 1 month for surgery to follow within two weeks.

Just a thought.

Best Always,  mike

thanks for your response

that sounds like a good plan Mike.  Thanks for sharing - I wish you the very best....the surgery has been known to cure.

TR

• BonnieDewey
    BonnieDewey Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017 #15
    HIPEC... PAIN? HAIR LOSS?

I was wondering if anyone can share if HIPEC surgery has a more painful recovery than an intestinal resection? I've had a resection due to Colon cancer... 4 surgeries and 3 cycles of chemotherapy later, in facing the HIPEC. I go in on the 11th of January and am just a LITTLE nervous. Also I am one of those who lost all hair from the 5fu treatments... Will I lose my hair from the HIPEC? Oxcaliplatin and zeloda did not make me lose any hair.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Welcome to the forum, BonnieDewey

I see you have posted several times today, and I am very happy that you are reaching out for answers as you face this latest challenge in your life. 

This is a very old post, and many who posted here have passed to the great unknown (or known, depending on your faith). 

May I suggest you post a brand new thread, and we can answer your questions there. Here is the link to the forum home page. Just click on this link

https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

If you have probelms, just let us know here or in a private message, and we can help you out. 

I really am sorry your facing HIPEC. I have not had it done myself, but have heard that it is quite a rough procedure.  

Looking forward to seeing your post on the home page. 

- Lovely dog picture - 

Tru              -          abrub has started a thread just for you. Here is the link  https://csn.cancer.org/node/313582