Anti-angiogenesis / Regenerative Medicine (Print a Kidney)

BDS
BDS Member Posts: 172

Some of you may have already seen these videos but if you not I invite you to watch them, they are very informative. The first one from Dr William Li has convinced me it’s time to have no junk food in my diet and start eating my berries and fruit. (I really did eat very healthy before I got cancer - hell my wife is a vegetarian but I certainly enjoyed my junk food). The second one by surgeon Anthony Atala gives me hope that if I beat cancer I may one day get my left kidney back. - BDS

anti-angiogenesis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Li presents a new way to think about treating cancer and other diseases: anti-angiogenesis, preventing the growth of blood vessels that feed a tumor. The crucial first (and best) step: Eating cancer-fighting foods that cut off the supply lines and beat cancer at its own game.

William Li heads the Angiogenesis Foundation, a nonprofit that is re-conceptualizing global disease fighting

http://www.ted.com/talks/william_li.html

http://www.ted.com/speakers/william_li.html

Surgeon Anthony Atala demonstrates an early-stage experiment that could someday solve the organ-donor problem: a 3D printer that uses living cells to output a transplantable kidney. Using similar technology, Dr. Atala's young patient Luke Massella received an engineered bladder 10 years ago; we meet him onstage.

Anthony Atala asks, "Can we grow organs instead of transplanting them?" His lab at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine is doing just that -- engineering over 30 tissues and whole organs

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Interactions

Li's video was excellent and the above foods are fine.. Nearly all of them have been part of my regular diet for many years and I've always been very healthy (...)

However, it's not wise to put them up without a very important caveat - some of them are no-nos for some cancer patients.   Grapefruit is one, for its known alteration of the metabolism of TKI anti-cancer drugs.  The same goes for some varieties of orange and there are questions about some apple juices.  

Green tea is under suspicion for interfering with the effectiveness of Sutent.  Soy 'beans' and their products attract many more adverse observations than other legumes (and I, for one, avoid them). 

Some people are dubious about turmeric for cancer patients (though I'm not one of them and I take a turmeric supplement every day).

Tuna should be eaten sparingly - the really big ocean fish, at the top of the marine food chain, accumulate mercury in their bodies from pollution of the seas and mercury, as I'm sure you are aware, is very toxic for us.

Accordingly, while the foods Li lists are very good for most folks, a degree of circumspection is required for us. 

(Having said that, please keep the fine research up BDS and keep bringing us goodies.)

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member

Interactions

Li's video was excellent and the above foods are fine.. Nearly all of them have been part of my regular diet for many years and I've always been very healthy (...)

However, it's not wise to put them up without a very important caveat - some of them are no-nos for some cancer patients.   Grapefruit is one, for its known alteration of the metabolism of TKI anti-cancer drugs.  The same goes for some varieties of orange and there are questions about some apple juices.  

Green tea is under suspicion for interfering with the effectiveness of Sutent.  Soy 'beans' and their products attract many more adverse observations than other legumes (and I, for one, avoid them). 

Some people are dubious about turmeric for cancer patients (though I'm not one of them and I take a turmeric supplement every day).

Tuna should be eaten sparingly - the really big ocean fish, at the top of the marine food chain, accumulate mercury in their bodies from pollution of the seas and mercury, as I'm sure you are aware, is very toxic for us.

Accordingly, while the foods Li lists are very good for most folks, a degree of circumspection is required for us. 

(Having said that, please keep the fine research up BDS and keep bringing us goodies.)

This all good information..

This all good information.. both from BDS and TW!  Just wondering though.  Since you have to wait two hours before taking the Votrient would that negate any problems with lets say tea or oranges making the Votrient unfunctional?  When will the jury be in? Mom's doctor told her to have plenty of green tea and oranges!!  

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    angec said:

This all good information..

This all good information.. both from BDS and TW!  Just wondering though.  Since you have to wait two hours before taking the Votrient would that negate any problems with lets say tea or oranges making the Votrient unfunctional?  When will the jury be in? Mom's doctor told her to have plenty of green tea and oranges!!  

green tea and oranges

Ange, was that her GP, local, or RCC oncologist?  Did he/she gives reasons for the recommendation and is he/she up-to-date with the current thinking on these foods and possible interactions with TKI drugs?

• BDS
    BDS Member Posts: 172
    Can hot peppers knock out cancer?

I found this video interesting and entertaining. But it begs the question would people really be willing to eat a super hot pepper everyday - one that is so hot that it’s off the scale to kill cancer?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148914n

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    BDS said:

Can hot peppers knock out cancer?

I found this video interesting and entertaining. But it begs the question would people really be willing to eat a super hot pepper everyday - one that is so hot that it’s off the scale to kill cancer?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148914n

Hot peppers

I take capsicum in herbal form for inflammation and to improve circulation. I feel hot every time I take the herb and mine is mild in comparison to those in the video. Wow!! They seem hot enough to kill anything off

Djinnie