PSA 30

roestman
roestman Member Posts: 5

Hello

I am thankful that I have found this web page.   I am 55 and just found out that my PSA is 30.

2 years ago I had a PSA of a little over 5.  The Urologist performed a biopsy and all test showed negative.

That’s all I heard that day (your test are negative).  

What I didn’t hear was that I needed to keep a check on it every 6 months.

Now I'm in the same situation 2 years later with a PSA of 30 and an appointment

this week with a different urologist.

I feel like I have killed myself through my own ignorance by not keeping a check on the PSA number

and letting 2 years pass.

I wish I found this web page 2 years ago.

Now the fear is worst than ever. My wife is on edge and crying all the time. We feel like the

world is crumbling around us.  All I can think of is that I have let Cancer spread all over my body

because of my ignorance.

Have I destroyed my chances of recovery?

Comments

• ralph.townsend1
    ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
    High psa?

If the biopsy is negative, that a good thing and what was the numbers. I think you should get a PT and Bone scan to check and make sure of no Cancer.

I think you should worry with a psa 30, but a second biopsy should be done!!!!

With a second biopsy you should know your direction.

It will be Okay and you did'nt do anything wrong. Now take control, take wife dinner.

• roestman

High psa?

If the biopsy is negative, that a good thing and what was the numbers. I think you should get a PT and Bone scan to check and make sure of no Cancer.

I think you should worry with a psa 30, but a second biopsy should be done!!!!

With a second biopsy you should know your direction.

It will be Okay and you did'nt do anything wrong. Now take control, take wife dinner.

Smile

Thanks for the reply.  First smile I had in a week.  I do not have access to numbers from 2 years ago.  

My current GP's staff are looking for my records.  I will know more about my current numbers Thursday.

• ralph.townsend1
    roestman said:

Smile

Thanks for the reply.  First smile I had in a week.  I do not have access to numbers from 2 years ago.  

My current GP's staff are looking for my records.  I will know more about my current numbers Thursday.

Please

Please, keep us informed, there is a lot of great people here.

God Bless

RalphLaughing

• Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Take a deep breath

It's highly unlikely that you let cancer "spread all over your body."  At this point you don't even know if you have cancer and we can only hope that some other factor is causing your elevated PSA.  As you may know at this point several things can a PSA test to come back high.  Sex before the blood draw, certain types of exercises, a UTI or some other condition like an inflammed prostate, BPH, and so forth can all cause elevated PSA without prostate cancer being present.  While a PSA of 30 is worrisome, it's nothing your wife needs to be dissolving into tears about at this point.  Keep in mind that a PSA test is no better than a 50/50 predictor of prostate cancer.

You should also keep in mind that a negative biopsy does not rule out the presence of cancer.  A typical biopsy only samples less than 1 percent of the total prostate volume so you can have a negative result and still have cancer lurking.  That's probably why you previous urologist wanted to follow-up with you in six months.  A PSA trend, along with other factors, can be useful in figuring out what is happening.

Should you get an unhappy result from your next biopsy you should remember that while 1 in 6 men in the USA will get prostate cancer, only about 1 in 34 actually die from it.  Prostate cancer is a very treatable disease today and almost all men who are diagnosed with it will live long, happy, and productive lives.  

I hope you take the time now to increase your knowledge about this disease, the conditons that can cause it and contribute to its growth, and the various methods used to treat it.  While many treatment methods are very effective, almost all have potential side effects that can significantly affect your quality of life after treatment.  Whatever the next tests reveal, I hope you consider getting second opinions before deciding on a course of action.

Best wishes for good news and please do keep us informed.

K

• ralph.townsend1
    Kongo said:

Take a deep breath

It's highly unlikely that you let cancer "spread all over your body."  At this point you don't even know if you have cancer and we can only hope that some other factor is causing your elevated PSA.  As you may know at this point several things can a PSA test to come back high.  Sex before the blood draw, certain types of exercises, a UTI or some other condition like an inflammed prostate, BPH, and so forth can all cause elevated PSA without prostate cancer being present.  While a PSA of 30 is worrisome, it's nothing your wife needs to be dissolving into tears about at this point.  Keep in mind that a PSA test is no better than a 50/50 predictor of prostate cancer.

You should also keep in mind that a negative biopsy does not rule out the presence of cancer.  A typical biopsy only samples less than 1 percent of the total prostate volume so you can have a negative result and still have cancer lurking.  That's probably why you previous urologist wanted to follow-up with you in six months.  A PSA trend, along with other factors, can be useful in figuring out what is happening.

Should you get an unhappy result from your next biopsy you should remember that while 1 in 6 men in the USA will get prostate cancer, only about 1 in 34 actually die from it.  Prostate cancer is a very treatable disease today and almost all men who are diagnosed with it will live long, happy, and productive lives.  

I hope you take the time now to increase your knowledge about this disease, the conditons that can cause it and contribute to its growth, and the various methods used to treat it.  While many treatment methods are very effective, almost all have potential side effects that can significantly affect your quality of life after treatment.  Whatever the next tests reveal, I hope you consider getting second opinions before deciding on a course of action.

K

See

See, I told you, that there is a lot of smart people!

Thanks Kongo

• roestman
    Kongo said:

Take a deep breath

K

Informed

Thanks for the reply Kongo.  I will keep this group informed.  My research has started with this group and it will expand as

I get more info about my condition.  I think that it is human nature to always think the worst about a possible outcome.

I know I have faught this type of thinking all my life.

• Rainbo
    Rainbo Member Posts: 10
    roestman said:

Informed

Thanks for the reply Kongo.  I will keep this group informed.  My research has started with this group and it will expand as

I get more info about my condition.  I think that it is human nature to always think the worst about a possible outcome.

I know I have faught this type of thinking all my life.

Hang in there...

My husband and I just began this process as well...from what I know (pardon the next phrase)...this an f'd up deal....no issues, never ill, just turned 50 and here we go!  Ultimately I know everything will be okay if we research options and do our best to make informed decisions.

We should know more tomorrow as we have the various scans scheduled and then will meet with our doctor for options.

This is a great site and wow, so supportive - at least we can bounce stuff off of each other.

Hugs to all as they provide info, give support and just give us all a good listen  :)

• roestman
    Rainbo said:

Hang in there...

My husband and I just began this process as well...from what I know (pardon the next phrase)...this an f'd up deal....no issues, never ill, just turned 50 and here we go!  Ultimately I know everything will be okay if we research options and do our best to make informed decisions.

We should know more tomorrow as we have the various scans scheduled and then will meet with our doctor for options.

This is a great site and wow, so supportive - at least we can bounce stuff off of each other.

Hugs to all as they provide info, give support and just give us all a good listen  :)

thanks and good luck to you

thanks and good luck to you and your husband.

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Kongo said:

Take a deep breath

K

Confirmation to Kongo's post

Prostate Cancer is a very slow growing disease. In my own case I was diagnosed 4 years ago, and am starting my fifth year, being closely monitored, having no active treatment. Two years ago, your biopsy was clean; (the biopsy is the critical medical information that diagnoses prostate cancer, not the PSA which is an indicator only)

It is important for you to have all your medical records in one place so you can discuss intelligently, and can bring to various docs for consults.

As you probably realize, you need to have your PSA numbers available over time, so you can see what the rate of change has been, (whichis an indicator only, but useful.

An elevated PSA can be an indication of of UTI. Quite often a highly elevated PSA as you have is treated with Cipro or another antibiotic to treat baterial infection  for a month or so with hope that the PSA declines, and the need to biopsy is not indicated by the PSA.

• roestman

Confirmation to Kongo's post

Prostate Cancer is a very slow growing disease. In my own case I was diagnosed 4 years ago, and am starting my fifth year, being closely monitored, having no active treatment. Two years ago, your biopsy was clean; (the biopsy is the critical medical information that diagnoses prostate cancer, not the PSA which is an indicator only)

It is important for you to have all your medical records in one place so you can discuss intelligently, and can bring to various docs for consults.

As you probably realize, you need to have your PSA numbers available over time, so you can see what the rate of change has been, (whichis an indicator only, but useful.

An elevated PSA can be an indication of of UTI. Quite often a highly elevated PSA as you have is treated with Cipro or another antibiotic to treat baterial infection  for a month or so with hope that the PSA declines, and the need to biopsy is not indicated by the PSA.

new biopsy in 2 weeks

My new urologist will be doing a biopsy in 2 weeks.  They took more blood today to re-check the PSA number.  I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks to the support from this group, I feel alot better.

• BLUEpac6
    BLUEpac6 Member Posts: 43
    worried

I know how you feel as I remember how me and my wife felt when in jan. 2009 I was told my psa was 110.But after radical surgery aug.2009 and salvage radiation june 2011 my psa as of feb.2013 is .0003 and Iam doing fine never had any side effects or pain from either except no erection.To tell you the truth except for doctors telling me I had serious cancer,agressive carcinoma and out of prostrate I have not felt anything was wrong with me.I hope your case turns out as well.keep you in my prayers as I feel that is what got me through it all.

• greg from pa
    greg from pa Member Posts: 86
    psa 42

hello all. i am new to this board.posted once before i am a head and neck cancer survivor who had a routine physical 951 years old).  my psa came back @ 24 they tested 10 days later it came back @ 42.  biopsy scheduled for wednsday.  3/20.  went through all this 3 years ago with head and neck.  dreading this like hell.concerned about over treatment to make doc money.  did not really like docs dismissive atittude.will go tru with biopsy if posiitive will probably seek second opinion....any suggestions?

• Kipling
    Kipling Member Posts: 1
    PSA 30

In Dec 2007 I had a PSA 30 level, having failed to have a PSA test for two years. A Biopsy confirmed a Gleason Score of 8.  I had 8 weeks of radiation ending in July 2008 followed by three years of hormone therapy which ended in May 2011. Since then my PSA has been undetectable and I feel great. So don't despair you have an excellent chance of long term survival.

• greg from pa
    greg from pa Member Posts: 86
    Kipling said:

PSA 30

In Dec 2007 I had a PSA 30 level, having failed to have a PSA test for two years. A Biopsy confirmed a Gleason Score of 8.  I had 8 weeks of radiation ending in July 2008 followed by three years of hormone therapy which ended in May 2011. Since then my PSA has been undetectable and I feel great. So don't despair you have an excellent chance of long term survival.

high psa
    thanks for the reply and words of encouragement. was hoping not to have to do imrt again, i had alot of bad side affects from that on my throat.does anyone have any experience with "seeds"?
  • irishguy68
    irishguy68 Member Posts: 3
    livestrong.org

I went to Lance Armstrong's site livestrong.org & they were bragging about a supplement called coenzyme a. I bought some & they were right! I felt better mentally & physically in 3-4 days. It's suppodsed to detox mitochondria & start the energy cycle. I couldn't recommend it more.

• texhutch5
    texhutch5 Member Posts: 4
    Me too

I did exactly as you. My PSA was considered ok or boarderline, so I skipped going to the doctor for a year and a half. When I had my PSA checked, it was 34! I wish I had gone to a urologist for PSA checks instead of my GP...the boarderline PSA of 4-5 should have been a red flag. So I had a biopsy which showed a lot of cancer going on, I had surgery, and on my two month follow up my PSA shot to 180! So I went on hormone blocking treatment. It got my PSA down to undetectable and has stayed there every since. There are plenty of side effects from treatment, so I am now on intermittent treatments...to give be a break from side effects. Life goes on, and none of us really know how long we have. I have out lived several friends and family members in the past six years. If you get bad biopsy results, don't put life on hold or start the dying process, you have to keep on moving forward and cross each bridge when you get to it. Try to keep your activities and mind as normal as you can. I was 47 when diagnosed and know exactly what you are going through. The doctor gave me the "get your affairs in order" talk. Was told that on avereage I might live five years, but it has been six great years and still doing very well.

I don't think cancer is all over your body, but you need to take this very seriously. Get second and third oppinions for treatment.