New to all this

Hi! My name is Rosemari and I had a colon resection on January 30. I start chemo next Wednesday, 3/20. It is scary but reading through this discussion board, it seems you all have really good information to share. I am getting a port next week and hope I can do this with your guidance.  Rosemari

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Hi Rosemari...

There is much experience here.  Always scary looking at the unknown but just post your questions...not too much that folks haven't done here.  Good luck with your port...was the 1st surgical experience I had...I was scared to death but was afraid of going to sleep for surgery.

I've had 2 ports removed and 3 installed:)    + 4 major surgeries so it gets easier:)

Port will make chemo infusion smoother for you.  You'll be sore a couple of days b ut nothing you can't handle:)

Welcome and best of luck as you move forward.  You can do it too!

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Welcome to the forum!

We're not exactly a club that anyone wants to join, but now that you're one of us, I hope we can be of use to you.  Pretty much anything you might face, one of us will have had some experience with it.  Having cancer is one of the greatest challenges most of us will ever have to face, but you don't have to walk the path alone!  Sending hugs and strength you way~Ann Alexandria

PS  The port is awesome...makes getting chemo so much easier.  Ask your doc for some lidocaine (prescription numbing cream), put a little on an hour or so before you go in, and you will barely feel a thing!

• AveriRN
    AveriRN Member Posts: 61
    I second Sundanceh !

Hi Rosemari,

Glad you found this board. It definitely is a well of knowledge. I imagine you are on that roller coaster spectrum of emotions still

and I just want you to know you have support here. I, just as sundanceh, am a long term survivor and you are on your way to joining us. The 

road has twist and turns, ups and downs and is scary at times but you CAN do it and we are here to support you along the way. Hoping all goes 

well with your port placement. I dont know if your in driver seat more (me) or passenger and I didn't even think about it when I had mine put in,

but was thankful that they placed mine on the right side of my chest so didnt have to deal with seatbelt rubbing over it which might be

something you want to consider. Again, WELCOME to this family. 

You said, "......hope I can do this with your guidance." We're gonna start simple but strong, c'mon repeat after me, " I CAN" , " I CAN" ,

" I CAN DO IT ONE STEP AT A TIME!!!"

Sincerely, Averi

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Welcome to the forum!

We're not exactly a club that anyone wants to join, but now that you're one of us, I hope we can be of use to you.  Pretty much anything you might face, one of us will have had some experience with it.  Having cancer is one of the greatest challenges most of us will ever have to face, but you don't have to walk the path alone!  Sending hugs and strength you way~Ann Alexandria

PS  The port is awesome...makes getting chemo so much easier.  Ask your doc for some lidocaine (prescription numbing cream), put a little on an hour or so before you go in, and you will barely feel a thing!

I second that

Annalexandra is right. The port is a blessing. This message board is a blessing. 

You will find acceptance and understanding here. You will feel the love and support of all, and that really, really helps you to keep a positive attitude. 

Visit often. Ask tons of questions. And bless you as you start this journey 

• Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    Welcome, Rosemari

I am not the one with colon cancer, my daughter is. This is a great group of supportive people here and you will find a lot of helpful information here. Best wishes to you as you begin your treatment. I hope it goes well.

Sandy

• Dyanclark
    Dyanclark Member Posts: 296
    Sending our experiences

We all try and send our experiences and share the ups & downs.   Most of the chemos for colon cancer are not as bad as you think.   We need people on this board we learn about treatments & what to expect.  I am a caregiver and I can tell you I feel deeply for all going thru these rough treatments.  Eat healthy and take in lots of calories.

George & Diane SurprisedKiss  George has the cancer.

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Dyanclark said:

Sending our experiences

We all try and send our experiences and share the ups & downs.   Most of the chemos for colon cancer are not as bad as you think.   We need people on this board we learn about treatments & what to expect.  I am a caregiver and I can tell you I feel deeply for all going thru these rough treatments.  Eat healthy and take in lots of calories.

George & Diane SurprisedKiss  George has the cancer.

Hi Rosemari

I am the mother of another member here, Johnnybegood, and the wife/caregiver of a cancer survivor with H&N and Lung Cancer. Since 2009, my friends here have saved my sanity many times. I won't be able to help much with the Colon Cancer questions, but I'm always available to offer a hug and moral support. This group is wonderful and will help you through each step of your journey.

Luv,

Wolfen

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi

Hi, Rosemari.

Sorry you have to walk this path, but you'll have lots of friends here to help you.

*hugs*

Gail

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Welcome. I'm a caregiver to
    Welcome. I'm a caregiver to my husband, Steve, who has stage four. I have found this forum to be not only very informative in regards to practical information, but also a huge source of support. Good luck with the port installation. I'm sure it will be a piece of cake.

Chelsea
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I am glad you found this

I am glad you found this forum. It took me 6 years to find. I wish I had known about it when I was first dxed and scared. Port placement is nothing compared to colon resection. I have had 4 major surgeries 2 port placements and removals and 2 picc lines. I am sure at least a few people can answer ANY questions you have. Good luck

• Rosemari
    Rosemari Member Posts: 3
    AveriRN said:

I second Sundanceh !

Hi Rosemari,

Glad you found this board. It definitely is a well of knowledge. I imagine you are on that roller coaster spectrum of emotions still

and I just want you to know you have support here. I, just as sundanceh, am a long term survivor and you are on your way to joining us. The 

road has twist and turns, ups and downs and is scary at times but you CAN do it and we are here to support you along the way. Hoping all goes 

well with your port placement. I dont know if your in driver seat more (me) or passenger and I didn't even think about it when I had mine put in,

but was thankful that they placed mine on the right side of my chest so didnt have to deal with seatbelt rubbing over it which might be

something you want to consider. Again, WELCOME to this family. 

You said, "......hope I can do this with your guidance." We're gonna start simple but strong, c'mon repeat after me, " I CAN" , " I CAN" ,

" I CAN DO IT ONE STEP AT A TIME!!!"

Sincerely, Averi

Great Advice!

Thanks for the port placement advice.  I do a lot of driving with my job and I never thought about the seatbelt rubbing. I CAN DO THIS!

Rosemari

• Rosemari
    Rosemari Member Posts: 3
    WOW

Thank you everyone for your comments! I feel so much better today after reading your posts! I really am not alone in this!

Rosemari

• Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Welcome to our group.

Welcome to our group. Everyone has been so supportive.  Alex

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Welcome to a very supportive group

Congratulations on getting through your resection.  I also had a port, the nurses sprayed some numbing ointment just before needle insertion.  An alternative to the cream.  We're here to support you.  Ask away with any questions that come up.  Someone will have had the same experience and will be able to offer practical advice.  

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    Welcome!  I just had my 3rd

Welcome!  I just had my 3rd chemo session.  This is a great source to come to with questions.  I've learned a lot from everyone on the forum!

• Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199 Member
    Welcome!

As some of the others have said, once you get through the resection, the port insertion isn't nearly as difficult.  I had my resection January 13th, 2012 and had the port put in January 29th, 2012.  I look back at the beginning and I was frightened as you are now.  I finished my last chemo treatment in September, 2012.  There were challenges and a few hurdles but I got through it.  You will too.

This forum is such a great place to get information, support, and comfort.  If you have issues or questions, you can bet someone on this board has experienced it.  We are all pulling for ya!!

Sending positive energy to you!!

Hugs.

• Scared Straight
    Scared Straight Member Posts: 5
    Welcome

Rosemari,

You are in waters that have been traveled by many.  The port is a good idea.  I wasn't aware of such a thing when I went into chemo. Ask questions, many people here to help.