Hugo Chavez died ~ Colon Cancer?

Momof2plusteentwins
Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela died today and it appears he had Colon Cancer. Diagnosed in 2011. No one is immune to this. I live in fear every day, wondering about the next CEA, CT scan. I have a CT scan scheduled for March 18th. I'm on the every 3 month schedule. I feel like when I finish one scan I'm already worried about the next. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and it never stops so I can get off. The only rest I get from thinking about this is when I sleep, then I wake up in the middle of the night. This disease is so hard! Just wanted to vent.
Sandy
Stage IV CRC

Comments

• ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    Not croc. It was cancer of

Not crc. It was cancer of pelvic region. That is what I read. 

• renw
    renw Member Posts: 282 Member
    ketziah35 said:

As there is some stigma
    As there is some stigma associated with prostate cancer, calling it a cancer of the pelvic region sounds more like prostate cancer.
  • lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    sarcoma.

I wondered about that, too.  I googled him and some articiles hinted that it might be CRC, and others claimed it might be sarcoma.  Anyway, seems they couldn't cure him in Cuba.  

I did think it was CRC, and was sort of rooting for him, even though he was a dictator and likely did a lot of bad things.

In our (American) culture, we need to know how a person died. Iti's one of the first questions we ask. If it isn't printed directly in an obituary or death notice, sometimes it's handled obliquely by noting that "donations can be given to the colorectal cancer society" or something like that.

So as an American, I don't understand why it can't be stated publicly how he died. Okay, syphyllis might be embarrassing but CRC is not. (personally I don't think prostate cancer is embarassing either )

At least they did say it was cancer; still, I am always a bit sad when I hear of anyone succumbing to it. 

Karin

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    CC

I always heard he had colon cancer until today. Now it's pelvic region cancer. Maybe colon cancer isn't "manly" enough? I also hear that the US gave it to him so there goes any news feeds!

I know it's a roller coaster but if you're feeling well, enjoy it. Any one of us could very easily get in our cars this morning and NOT make it home tonight. Just a perspective check.

"— July 9, 2012: Chavez says at a news conference that tests show he is “totally free” of cancer"

• Momof2plusteentwins
    ketziah35 said:

Ketziah
    I read that it was in the pelvic region and they were thinking either prostate or colon and with the radiation and chemo he had they were guessing colon, the articles I read. I don't know why it's so important to me to read what kind of cancer it is, I guess when I find another person dies of colon cancer I feel like I move up in line. Not a good line to move up in.
    Sandy :)
  • Momof2plusteentwins
    PhillieG said:

CC

I always heard he had colon cancer until today. Now it's pelvic region cancer. Maybe colon cancer isn't "manly" enough? I also hear that the US gave it to him so there goes any news feeds!

I know it's a roller coaster but if you're feeling well, enjoy it. Any one of us could very easily get in our cars this morning and NOT make it home tonight. Just a perspective check.

"— July 9, 2012: Chavez says at a news conference that tests show he is “totally free” of cancer"

Phil
    Yeah that's funny cured in July 2012 so he can be re elected just to get chemo and surgery within 2 months. Sounds like he was never in remission. Maybe Cuba was not a good place for treatment???
    Sandy:)
  • jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    I was wondering the same

I was wondering the same thing when I read the headlines.  Who knows.

Sandy- just wanted to say I so understand what you are saying about the roller coaster ride...not a fun one either.   I have changed so much since my husband's diagnosis over the summer...and not for the better.   I hate it - I feel like I'm always either sad, on-edge or just angry.  I went from being that really laid back mom who rarely got riled to standing in the kitchen the other day having a screaming match with the 15 yr old....in front of the baby....the whole time thinking - what the hell is wrong with me.   I just don't know how to get to that positive, relaxed place that it seems many people here are.   I wish I could - I hate being like this and I worry I am ruining my own health.  My biggest fear since this started is what if something happens to both of us.  Who will be here for the kids - especially the baby.  It's crazy but I find myself just wanting to be here long enough for the 15 yr old to be able to care for the baby....and I don't even have cancer.  

My husband had his scan on Friday - I emailed the doc Sunday night to find out how/when we'd get results.  No answer - I emailed again last night about something and she apologized for not answering my other email....but still didn't bring up the scan.  I start thinking the worst with stuff like that...so I emailed back "no problem...but what about that scan?"  She hasn't looked at it yet.  ugh!  She emailed a few mins later to say she took a peek and all looks ok...nothing new...things continue to look improved.  That's good, but I still have a hard time being happy.  So frustrated with myself.

• Momof2plusteentwins
    jen2012 said:

I was wondering the same

Sandy- just wanted to say I so understand what you are saying about the roller coaster ride...not a fun one either.   I have changed so much since my husband's diagnosis over the summer...and not for the better.   I hate it - I feel like I'm always either sad, on-edge or just angry.  I went from being that really laid back mom who rarely got riled to standing in the kitchen the other day having a screaming match with the 15 yr old....in front of the baby....the whole time thinking - what the hell is wrong with me.   I just don't know how to get to that positive, relaxed place that it seems many people here are.   I wish I could - I hate being like this and I worry I am ruining my own health.  My biggest fear since this started is what if something happens to both of us.  Who will be here for the kids - especially the baby.  It's crazy but I find myself just wanting to be here long enough for the 15 yr old to be able to care for the baby....and I don't even have cancer.  

My husband had his scan on Friday - I emailed the doc Sunday night to find out how/when we'd get results.  No answer - I emailed again last night about something and she apologized for not answering my other email....but still didn't bring up the scan.  I start thinking the worst with stuff like that...so I emailed back "no problem...but what about that scan?"  She hasn't looked at it yet.  ugh!  She emailed a few mins later to say she took a peek and all looks ok...nothing new...things continue to look improved.  That's good, but I still have a hard time being happy.  So frustrated with myself.

Jen
    Relaxed is not something I ever get to either. I know what you mean about the kids. My twins are 15 and I think thank God they are boys so they will have their father and not girls that would need me more. My daughter is 29 and trying to have a baby and I want to be there for that too. It's never ending, but before all this crap I didn't even think about dying. I have a scan on march 18th and stressing about that. And just when I just stop thinking about cancer for 1 second, I move a certain way and my port hurts and says here I am don't forget you have cancer. And what are these medical professionals thinking, we have cancer and need to know results NOW. Not 2 or 3 days after a scan, NOW! It's not like were just getting our sodium or calcium checked, it's our life checked.
  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    jen2012 said:

I was wondering the same

Emotions

OK, I'm re-doing this post, as obviously my chemo brain read your inital post wrong.

I am so sorry for you stress and fears.

After my resection a man came into my hospital room, announced himself as my Oncologist and told me I had stage 3 A colorectal cancer; it felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I've always been scared of dying of cancer, and now I was sure it was going to come true. 

I can only pray for you, as I know telling you to try you to not stress so much is just small talk. I konw you and your family would be better off if you weren't so stressed, but easy said than done. 

I was wondering that you may also be going though or apporaching menopause. You may have gone in and out, but I know peri menopause can cause you to have swinging moods. 

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Phil
    Yeah that's funny cured in July 2012 so he can be re elected just to get chemo and surgery within 2 months. Sounds like he was never in remission. Maybe Cuba was not a good place for treatment???

Cuba

But you can't beat their cigars!

What I've noticed in my many years on this site and in the trenches is that you really just don't know what lies ahead. Two people with (nearly) identical backgrounds, diets, and disease can have two totally different outcomes. Even is they see the same oncologist. What that shows ME is just how complex cancer is and how finding "The Cure" will likely be impossible. The best we can hope for (again, my opinion) is that we can improve early detection since that seems to be key in probably all cancers. Colon Cancer has a very high rate of being cured IF it's caught early. Too often it's not. I was without syptoms and was stage IV. There's no formula for curing it, there's no rhymn or reason why it comes back in some and not in others. 

That's why I try to just live each day the best I can. What's the point of worrying what may or may not happen? Who's to say I will die from cancer? Why not by getting hit by a meteorite? They certainly are flying all around!

The Cloisters, NYC

The Cloisters, NYC

• jen2012

Jen
    Relaxed is not something I ever get to either. I know what you mean about the kids. My twins are 15 and I think thank God they are boys so they will have their father and not girls that would need me more. My daughter is 29 and trying to have a baby and I want to be there for that too. It's never ending, but before all this crap I didn't even think about dying. I have a scan on march 18th and stressing about that. And just when I just stop thinking about cancer for 1 second, I move a certain way and my port hurts and says here I am don't forget you have cancer. And what are these medical professionals thinking, we have cancer and need to know results NOW. Not 2 or 3 days after a scan, NOW! It's not like were just getting our sodium or calcium checked, it's our life checked.

Sandy - I hope you have a

Sandy - I hope you have a good scan!    The doctors just don't think.  I even said to my husband's dr "you know I think the worst when we don't hear"  She gave a huge apology last month when I emailed about the bone biopsy results and got an email from the nurse saying that the dr wanted to see us the next day, I replied in a "I guess it's not good news" way and got a response in minutes - don't worry, it's fine.   My husband seems to worry less about this stuff and is never in a rush for his results!  Says the results won't really change anything and he leaves it to the doctors to figure things out.

• jen2012
    Trubrit said:

Emotions

OK, I'm re-doing this post, as obviously my chemo brain read your inital post wrong.

I am so sorry for you stress and fears.

After my resection a man came into my hospital room, announced himself as my Oncologist and told me I had stage 3 A colorectal cancer; it felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I've always been scared of dying of cancer, and now I was sure it was going to come true. 

I can only pray for you, as I know telling you to try you to not stress so much is just small talk. I konw you and your family would be better off if you weren't so stressed, but easy said than done. 

I was wondering that you may also be going though or apporaching menopause. You may have gone in and out, but I know peri menopause can cause you to have swinging moods. 

Menopause - ha...I just had a

Menopause - ha...I just had a baby last year!   Ok I was 43 when I had him....hmmmm!  I do take  responsibility and thinks hormones and emotions play a part - but have you dealt with a 15 yr old girl?  She was pushing my buttons  - I just should have handled it better.  I am overdue for a visit to the doctor, so we'll see.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers - they are appreciated.   Things just seem so overwhelming at times, but hopefully I'll get to that relaxed, happy place.  

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    jen2012 said:

Menopause - ha...I just had a

Menopause - ha...I just had a baby last year!   Ok I was 43 when I had him....hmmmm!  I do take  responsibility and thinks hormones and emotions play a part - but have you dealt with a 15 yr old girl?  She was pushing my buttons  - I just should have handled it better.  I am overdue for a visit to the doctor, so we'll see.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers - they are appreciated.   Things just seem so overwhelming at times, but hopefully I'll get to that relaxed, happy place.  

Long ago

Oh Jen! I remember being the 15 year old teenager, I must have driven my mother absolutely crazy. And you have a new baby added to the mix along with cancer, no wonder you are so stressed.

God bless you!  

I really hope I didn't come across in my last post as being judgmental in any way. I just know that hormones alone can drive you crazy. A bit like those teenager hormones. 

• jen2012
    Trubrit said:

Long ago

Oh Jen! I remember being the 15 year old teenager, I must have driven my mother absolutely crazy. And you have a new baby added to the mix along with cancer, no wonder you are so stressed.

God bless you!  

I really hope I didn't come across in my last post as being judgmental in any way. I just know that hormones alone can drive you crazy. A bit like those teenager hormones. 

No, I didn't find your

No, I didn't find your response judgmental at all.   I always appreciate words of wisdom and advice....and the prayers!   

• Glammom
    Glammom Member Posts: 21
    Wow! I have been feeling all

Wow! I have been feeling all of these feelings since diagnosed in dec and cannot explain it to anyone because they just don't understand.   I am sad/mad that I'm deali g with this physically but the emotional part of the future is worse.  I worry all the time about my kids (20, 17, 15). Is this our last birthday  together is this our last holidAy will I be here when they graduate. I cannot stop thinking this way and this is the worsE part. The unknown.  ill deal with the nausea fatigue and bathroom issues.  I can't handle the what ifs!  I have to find a way to not let these feelings to control my thoughts.  I'm glad I went back to work.   Ok thanks for letting me vent .

• Momof2plusteentwins
    Glammom said:

Wow! I have been feeling all

Wow! I have been feeling all of these feelings since diagnosed in dec and cannot explain it to anyone because they just don't understand.   I am sad/mad that I'm deali g with this physically but the emotional part of the future is worse.  I worry all the time about my kids (20, 17, 15). Is this our last birthday  together is this our last holidAy will I be here when they graduate. I cannot stop thinking this way and this is the worsE part. The unknown.  ill deal with the nausea fatigue and bathroom issues.  I can't handle the what ifs!  I have to find a way to not let these feelings to control my thoughts.  I'm glad I went back to work.   Ok thanks for letting me vent .

Glammom
    I was diagnosed April 11, 2012 and haven't been back to work since. I worked at a hospital as a nurse and was busy, busy, busy. Twin 15 year old boys and husband at home and 2 other children married. Now I have so much time on my hands to think about this. I thought about going back to work after finishing chemo in December but now I have the feet and finger neuropathy. I feel like you wondering if this will be my last Christmas or last birthday or last winter. Will I see my boys graduate from high school? How do you stop those feeling??? Then I read on here about TaraHK, after 10 years fighting you should get a free pass to live 20 more years!!!
    Sandy
  • YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    renw said:

As there is some stigma
    As there is some stigma associated with prostate cancer, calling it a cancer of the pelvic region sounds more like prostate cancer.

Talk about stigma

I was thinking he had rectal cancer.  Said the rectal cancer survivor who still tells the outside world she had colorectal cancer.   Cheers y'all!  Vita

• Momof2plusteentwins
    PhillieG said:

Cuba

But you can't beat their cigars!

What I've noticed in my many years on this site and in the trenches is that you really just don't know what lies ahead. Two people with (nearly) identical backgrounds, diets, and disease can have two totally different outcomes. Even is they see the same oncologist. What that shows ME is just how complex cancer is and how finding "The Cure" will likely be impossible. The best we can hope for (again, my opinion) is that we can improve early detection since that seems to be key in probably all cancers. Colon Cancer has a very high rate of being cured IF it's caught early. Too often it's not. I was without syptoms and was stage IV. There's no formula for curing it, there's no rhymn or reason why it comes back in some and not in others. 

That's why I try to just live each day the best I can. What's the point of worrying what may or may not happen? Who's to say I will die from cancer? Why not by getting hit by a meteorite? They certainly are flying all around!

The Cloisters, NYC

The Cloisters, NYC

Phil
    Love your pictures! I totally agree with you, no one is the same even though we appear the same. My onc told me he could line up 10 of me with same rectal cancer with liver mets and he would have 10 different responses to the identical treatment. That is what is so scary.
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145

Ketziah
    I read that it was in the pelvic region and they were thinking either prostate or colon and with the radiation and chemo he had they were guessing colon, the articles I read. I don't know why it's so important to me to read what kind of cancer it is, I guess when I find another person dies of colon cancer I feel like I move up in line. Not a good line to move up in.

I guess you want to honor the

I guess you want to honor the fight. Btw I am downtown by Dome. Stay warm up there.

• renw
    renw Member Posts: 282 Member
    Just read that apparently
    Just read that apparently Chavez died from a secondary infection. If that's the case, he died as result of his treatment more so than the cancer itself.