Dry mouth remedies?

Has anyone found a product that helps with the dry mouth? Either OTC or prescription.  Jeff wakes up every hour because his mouth is so dry and also to pee from all the water he drinks all day and night.

Thanks

Sue

Comments

• CajunEagle
    CajunEagle Member Posts: 408
    What I use....

Radiation pretty much wiped out my salivary glands four years ago, and I started out with Biotene spray....it's otc.  I just got to where I didn't care for the taste, although it did well in helping with moisture production.  For the last three years, I've been using Stopper's 4.......especially when I have problems with dry mouth during the night.  I fall right back to sleep after a few sprays, and it seems to help for a number of hours.  I live on water or iced coffee during all non-sleeping periods.  I buy Stopper's 4 on-line at Drugstore.com.

Larry

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    biotene

Sue,

I too have used and continue to use the biotene rinse, and tooth paste.  Also, I keep peppermints (hard candy) in my pocket during the day.  Katie

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Xylimelts

Sue,

I have had good luck with Xylimelt tablets.  You put one or two between your lip and gum (cheek and gum) and they do a very good job of relieving dry mouth for a number of hours.  I too drink lots of water 6-10 glasses a day and sometimes have to get up at night.  Lately I often make it through the whole night without (extremely) dry mouth.

Like most of us (rookies) I travel no where without my water bottle, but I have found out that with Xylimelts “in-place” I do not have to take sips as often.  For example:  Work on Friday required me to hike a number of miles within a state park.  It was extremely rough going, a lot of brush and stickers, hills and ravines.  Of course I carried my water bottle, but only had to take one sip from it once.  I definitely credit the Xylimelts for the extended range.

I never used the Stopper’s 4, but hear great reviews on them.

As Skiffen says “it is slow going, but it does get better”.  While there are times I get extremely dry mouth, there are just as many times I don’t reach for the water bottle as much.

I found the need to drink more water when I have t talk a lot and of course when I eat.

Oregon test rat,

Matt

Oh, I buy them on Amazon per 80 count box for $18 per box and I buy 3 boxes at a time.  I keep thinking I won’t have to keep buying them, but I do.

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Dry Mouth

A friend of mine who also went through throat cancer told me Salagen (5mg) really works for his dry mouth. My last trip to my dentist I asked him about it and he wanted to check the plus and minus factors. I go back this week for my regular check up and plan on asking him again. I tried Biotene spray but it did nothing for me. Has anyone else tried or heard of Salagen? I actually gave up using a CPAP (Sleep Apnia machine) because it painfully dried out my mouth during sleep.

Enjoy the day

Jeff

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Another Stoppers 4 user here...

I use water through out the day....but have a bottle of Stoppers on my night stand.  I get it off of either Amazon.com...or Drugstore.com.....I can never remember till I go to buy some more.

p

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503

Another Stoppers 4 user here...

I use water through out the day....but have a bottle of Stoppers on my night stand.  I get it off of either Amazon.com...or Drugstore.com.....I can never remember till I go to buy some more.

p

How long does that little

How long does that little bottle last?  I'm trying to decide how much of it to buy?  I can't seem to find it anywhere locally so mail order wil have to do.

Thanks,

J

• AJW1966
    AJW1966 Member Posts: 68
    Few ideas....

I have heard good things about the biotene products. They make sprays, gum, mouth rinse, toothpaste.

Sugar free lemon drops are supposed to stimulate the glands, but for me it sucked all saliva out and not generate any more so i stopped. Doesn't mean i won't work for you.

All the best and God Bless

Alan

• boardwalkgirl
    boardwalkgirl Member Posts: 269
    Duggie88 said:

Dry Mouth

A friend of mine who also went through throat cancer told me Salagen (5mg) really works for his dry mouth. My last trip to my dentist I asked him about it and he wanted to check the plus and minus factors. I go back this week for my regular check up and plan on asking him again. I tried Biotene spray but it did nothing for me. Has anyone else tried or heard of Salagen? I actually gave up using a CPAP (Sleep Apnia machine) because it painfully dried out my mouth during sleep.

Enjoy the day

Jeff

I have been on Salagen for

I have been on Salagen for several months now. Started out taking 1 tablet 3 times a day then increased to 2 3 times a day. I am now down to 2 twice a day. I think they have helped. They are definitely worth a try. I am about 7 months out of treatment.

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member

I have been on Salagen for

I have been on Salagen for several months now. Started out taking 1 tablet 3 times a day then increased to 2 3 times a day. I am now down to 2 twice a day. I think they have helped. They are definitely worth a try. I am about 7 months out of treatment.

Thanks

Thanks for the words of experience Boardwalkgirl. I will talk to my dentist this week.

Only thing better than seven months out is being eight months out. Life is good

Enjoy the day

Jeff

• fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    hands down

hands down Stoppers4 is the best for me. you can only get it on line. best way to find is just google. 

i also use a over the counter saline spray solution that i tip my head back and spray in nose till i feel in back of throat. this makes it easy to hack up whats in back of throat and helps blow my nose. i do before bed time alot when i feel plugged up. seems like the phelm trapped in back of throat does not help with the dryness. 

john 

• sassysrice
    sassysrice Member Posts: 117
    CivilMatt said:

Xylimelts

Sue,

I have had good luck with Xylimelt tablets.  You put one or two between your lip and gum (cheek and gum) and they do a very good job of relieving dry mouth for a number of hours.  I too drink lots of water 6-10 glasses a day and sometimes have to get up at night.  Lately I often make it through the whole night without (extremely) dry mouth.

Like most of us (rookies) I travel no where without my water bottle, but I have found out that with Xylimelts “in-place” I do not have to take sips as often.  For example:  Work on Friday required me to hike a number of miles within a state park.  It was extremely rough going, a lot of brush and stickers, hills and ravines.  Of course I carried my water bottle, but only had to take one sip from it once.  I definitely credit the Xylimelts for the extended range.

I never used the Stopper’s 4, but hear great reviews on them.

As Skiffen says “it is slow going, but it does get better”.  While there are times I get extremely dry mouth, there are just as many times I don’t reach for the water bottle as much.

I found the need to drink more water when I have t talk a lot and of course when I eat.

Oregon test rat,

Matt

Oh, I buy them on Amazon per 80 count box for $18 per box and I buy 3 boxes at a time.  I keep thinking I won’t have to keep buying them, but I do.

Xylimelt

Thanks Matt-Do you fall asleep with the tablet in your cheek-does it dissolve slowly. Have you ever chocked on it?

Sue

• sassysrice
    sassysrice Member Posts: 117
    Thanks

Thanks everyone I knew I could count on my friends. I am going to order Stopper today. And will prob try Xylimelt for him too.

Have an awesome day everyone

Sue

• CajunEagle
    jcortney said:

How long does that little

How long does that little bottle last?  I'm trying to decide how much of it to buy?  I can't seem to find it anywhere locally so mail order wil have to do.

Thanks,

J

How long the bottle lasts ???

I purchased a bottle of Stoppers 4 about 4 months ago, and yes...I only use it maybe once a night (about four or five sprays in the mouth) then I'm off back to sleep.  The good thing I've found out about it, is that when I wake in the morning, my mouth still has some residual moisture which it never had when using Biotene at night.  I'm not having to rush out of bed to rinse my mouth just to get moisture in it.  I've still got about 1/3 of a bottle of Stoppers 4 that is still ready to use at night.  I would advise to buy one bottle just to see how it works with you, because with all things in the "new normal" we're always experimenting with one thing or another.

Larry

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503

How long the bottle lasts ???

I purchased a bottle of Stoppers 4 about 4 months ago, and yes...I only use it maybe once a night (about four or five sprays in the mouth) then I'm off back to sleep.  The good thing I've found out about it, is that when I wake in the morning, my mouth still has some residual moisture which it never had when using Biotene at night.  I'm not having to rush out of bed to rinse my mouth just to get moisture in it.  I've still got about 1/3 of a bottle of Stoppers 4 that is still ready to use at night.  I would advise to buy one bottle just to see how it works with you, because with all things in the "new normal" we're always experimenting with one thing or another.

Larry

Thanks.  Just ordered one

Thanks.  Just ordered one from Drugstore.com

J.

• CajunEagle
    fisrpotpe said:

hands down

hands down Stoppers4 is the best for me. you can only get it on line. best way to find is just google. 

i also use a over the counter saline spray solution that i tip my head back and spray in nose till i feel in back of throat. this makes it easy to hack up whats in back of throat and helps blow my nose. i do before bed time alot when i feel plugged up. seems like the phelm trapped in back of throat does not help with the dryness. 

john 

Sinus solution

I've been using Nasonex prior to going to bed at night to help with all the yucky sinus stuff that we go through.  It was prescribed by my ENT, and have made it through with flying colors during these Spring pollen times around here.  For me, that saline spray solution didn't seem to work as well.  Probably didn't use it as much as I should.

Larry

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member

Xylimelt

Thanks Matt-Do you fall asleep with the tablet in your cheek-does it dissolve slowly. Have you ever chocked on it?

Sue

follow the instructions

Sue,

I put two in at bed time.  I find right below my canine teeth between my lip and gum.  If I put them in the way they are recommended they pretty much stay in place, but I did choke on one once, I have found them on my pillow a few times and floating around in my mouth on occasion.  Now that I follow the correct procedure (instead of hap hazardly inserting them) they seem to stay put.

After semi-chocking on one I read the instruction and they say the tablet will dissolve away whether it goes in you lungs or is stuck in your throat.  Now that is peace-of-mind.

Even with a few glitches I use them daily (and nightly).  I used them today prior to a 3 hour meeting and I only had to sip water throughout.  Without the mints I would have consumed 2 or 3 glasses of water.

Dry mouth less often,

Matt

• HAWVET
    HAWVET Member Posts: 318

Thanks

Thanks everyone I knew I could count on my friends. I am going to order Stopper today. And will prob try Xylimelt for him too.

Have an awesome day everyone

Sue

Sassysrice.  Thanks for the

Sassysrice.  Thanks for the thread and the reminder.  I too ordered stoppers from information gained on this forum.   Stoppers is better tasting.

Now that Xlylimelt has been mentioned, I just placed an order.  Both items are available on the on line drugstore.

I also need to carry water everywhere so my wife made me a small water pouch to hook on to my belt.  Here is another temporary solution.  Besides biotene and stoppers, Oasis also has a moisturizing one ounce moisturizing spray.  When it became empty, I cleaned it out and filled it with water.  Sometimes, I do not have the pouch so I leave my water bottle in the car when going shopping.  I place that Oasis sprayer in my pocket.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    HAWVET said:

Sassysrice.  Thanks for the

Sassysrice.  Thanks for the thread and the reminder.  I too ordered stoppers from information gained on this forum.   Stoppers is better tasting.

Now that Xlylimelt has been mentioned, I just placed an order.  Both items are available on the on line drugstore.

I also need to carry water everywhere so my wife made me a small water pouch to hook on to my belt.  Here is another temporary solution.  Besides biotene and stoppers, Oasis also has a moisturizing one ounce moisturizing spray.  When it became empty, I cleaned it out and filled it with water.  Sometimes, I do not have the pouch so I leave my water bottle in the car when going shopping.  I place that Oasis sprayer in my pocket.

wonderful idea

The idea of carrying a hydration pack all the time is excellent. I plan to use one to always have some fluid so easily ready to take a sip. There are many options available at any sporting store. Camelbacks is one of the big players in that space.

personal blog at http:beadown.cognacom.com (please join)

• Anotherway
    Anotherway Member Posts: 2
    Biotene products, xylitol is

Biotene products, xylitol is a great natural sugar product that fights bacteria and has many products. Available at natural drug stores and if u google xylitol products you can buy them online. Any crunchy or chewy food will help stimulatesaliva as well. Just so you know saliva is very important to help resist tooth decay. Saliva has natural buffers that help balance your PH in your mouth so it's less acidic. If u suck on candy make sure it is sugar free, xylitol has great bacteria fighting candies. Good luck!

Angie

• SHABBIRAHMED
    SHABBIRAHMED Member Posts: 3 Member

Great to have you guys..

After 4 years of SCC .. with surgery and rads ..found stiff mouth ..almost nil

saliva production...(regular check up shows " no cancer " )

Nice information gave me a relief .. looking forward to EXPERIMENT..

Big thank you CSN.

SHALL BE BACK WITH MY EXPERIENCE..TILL THEN BYE