linitis plastica

Strong friends.......husband was diagnosed June 2011. been on chemo ever since. Every 2 weeks, herceptine and 5fu. Tried to remove his stomach Sept 2011 and closed him back up, cancer had spread. He has been back on chemo ever since. Now oncologist wants to again try to have total gastrectomy. His platelets and wbc are low. He received recent biopsy results, from 1st layer of stomach, not cancer found in biopsies, BUT 2nd layer etc..still very thick. No motility. Couldn't biopsy 2nd layer due to bleeding. How are other linitis patients doing? I want to know if survival and quality of life is good with total gastrectomy. coping skills? thanks much.

Comments

• faith08
    faith08 Member Posts: 3
    Linitis Plastica - 3B

Hello :)  My husband was diagnosed with LP in Feb 2012.  We went straight to Duke 2/20/12 and they performed a total gastrectomy 4 days later (our sons 4th bday).  Since then he went through 25 rounds of chemo-radiation (Chemo was xeloda) followed by 3 rounds of EOX.  He has had clean scans since 8/24/12  PRAISE GOD.  He is still on his feeidng tube following the TG but slowly weaning off.  He has had a dialation of his esophegus  because food was getting stuck.  He has lots of pain from the radiation...but HE IS ALIVE!!  We have 5 boys and a grandbaby on the way.  Our youngest is 2 and oldest is 20.  We have a lot to live for.  My husband is only 40 and is tetermined to continue beating this monster.

My blog - http://deathtocancer.blogspot.com

• faith08
    faith08 Member Posts: 3
    Linitis Plastica - 3B

Hello :)  My husband was diagnosed with LP in Feb 2012.  We went straight to Duke 2/20/12 and they performed a total gastrectomy 4 days later (our sons 4th bday).  Since then he went through 25 rounds of chemo-radiation (Chemo was xeloda) followed by 3 rounds of EOX.  He has had clean scans since 8/24/12  PRAISE GOD.  He is still on his feeidng tube following the TG but slowly weaning off.  He has had a dialation of his esophegus  because food was getting stuck.  He has lots of pain from the radiation...but HE IS ALIVE!!  We have 5 boys and a grandbaby on the way.  Our youngest is 2 and oldest is 20.  We have a lot to live for.  My husband is only 40 and is tetermined to continue beating this monster.

My blog - http://deathtocancer.blogspot.com