Hipec

We went to see Dr. Lentz today at USC he feels my husband is doing well.  He is responding good to chemo etc.   Thing is he really believes Hipec surgery would be a good option for him to kill the cancer in his lymph nodes.   I have read all about this surgery and to me it seems pretty scary anyone had this surgery.  Would like some input on how you did.

Comments

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Hi there, Yes, my husband,
    Hi there,

Yes, my husband, Steve, has HIPEC last April. The surgery was 10 hrs long. He lost many parts and pieces of organs. Was in the hospital for two weeks. Did not develop any complications. (This is rare). Took twelve weeks before he seemed back to normal. Cancer recurrence to the liver four months after HIPEC. We are now dealing with that. Regret not using Cimetidine before and after surgery. I think my "about me" page is more specific about the actual surgery. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. This surgery is a biggie. It helps to go into it physically fit and mentally prepared.

Chelsea

Also, Steve has no regrets about doing the surgery. It was a chance for a cure and he felt he had to take it. He's said that if is ever in a position to benefit from it again, he would do it in a heart beat. Having said that.....Steve is unique. A real fighter. This surgery is not for everyone. Should not be entered into lightly. Good luck.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    i am still on the hipec list in sydney

its a very big op, with risks and benefits, it was the only curative procedure i had access to until germany.

the reality is the surgeon does not know your odds, until they open you right up and measure your pci the peritoneal cancer index, if its too high they zip you backup.

this happened to a friend.

its a tough decision, lenz comments should be interesting, but really it will be the hipec surgeon you should be listening to.

ask lenz about removab at hallwang, see if he has been reading our board for all the international therapy news. i am curious.

ask him about immunotherapy with dr chang in new york first and then chemo based regimes ?

i bet you lenz has patients doing immunotherapy with chang, he is the top colorectal onc in the us i think.

goodluck and keep us posted.

hugs,

Pete

ps because i had mets in liver, peritoneum and lung i was also told my chances of benefiting from hipec were reduced and that i had to fix the other mets, so i ended up trying hallwang in germany.

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    I am on the list for HIPEC in

I am on the list for HIPEC in April at UCSD.   I will kee posting my progress.  If you need  contact info I will get that to you also.

Keep letting us know his progress.  Sending our thoughts and prayers.

Best Always, mike

• Dyanclark
    Dyanclark Member Posts: 296
    thxmiker said:

I am on the list for HIPEC in

I am on the list for HIPEC in April at UCSD.   I will kee posting my progress.  If you need  contact info I will get that to you also.

Keep letting us know his progress.  Sending our thoughts and prayers.

Best Always, mike

Hipec

We will all be praying for a good out come for you.   I am pretty sure my husband does not want to do this surgery.  He will probably be on Xeloda for life and we are ok with that.   Of course we will be happy if he can control the cancer for a long time.  Thanks for your input folks.

• gizzyluv
    gizzyluv Member Posts: 143

i am still on the hipec list in sydney

its a very big op, with risks and benefits, it was the only curative procedure i had access to until germany.

the reality is the surgeon does not know your odds, until they open you right up and measure your pci the peritoneal cancer index, if its too high they zip you backup.

this happened to a friend.

its a tough decision, lenz comments should be interesting, but really it will be the hipec surgeon you should be listening to.

ask lenz about removab at hallwang, see if he has been reading our board for all the international therapy news. i am curious.

ask him about immunotherapy with dr chang in new york first and then chemo based regimes ?

i bet you lenz has patients doing immunotherapy with chang, he is the top colorectal onc in the us i think.

goodluck and keep us posted.

hugs,

Pete

ps because i had mets in liver, peritoneum and lung i was also told my chances of benefiting from hipec were reduced and that i had to fix the other mets, so i ended up trying hallwang in germany.

A lady on another site....

A lady on another site read my husbands story & told me to RUN, not walk to the nearest dr. that could do HIPEC surgery....? I don't even know what this is! For those of you keeping up with Jason's story, what do you think? Is it something he could benefit from? Thanks, Kris

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    gizzyluv said:

A lady on another site....

A lady on another site read my husbands story & told me to RUN, not walk to the nearest dr. that could do HIPEC surgery....? I don't even know what this is! For those of you keeping up with Jason's story, what do you think? Is it something he could benefit from? Thanks, Kris

It would be worth having a
    It would be worth having a consult with a HIPEC surgeon. Make sure you find a good one.
  • BrianH
    BrianH Member Posts: 10 Member
    I went through HIPEC surgery

It will be 2 years in April since I went through the HIPEC surgery.  For me it was really the only option that I had to try and be around for a while.  My surgery was 12 hours long, removed a bunch of stuff and then I had the HIPEC treatment.  No real comlications but my stomach didn't want to start back up and run correctly.  So I was released from the hospital after 3 weeks, went down hill for a week or so and then had to go back in the hosipital for about 3 weeks before everything began running again.  I followed that with 12 Chemo treatments.  Given all that it is going on 2 years and all is clear.  I don't take a single pill and I generally feel great.  So if this is a suggested option for you, find a surgeon that specializes in HIPEC and see what they have to say.  It is getting easier finding places that will do the surgery but you may have to travel to get to one. 

• BrianH
    BrianH Member Posts: 10 Member
    I went through HIPEC surgery

I too would do it again if it were necessary, but it is real big surgery for most people and should not be taken lightly. Unfortunitly I do know someone that did not survive the surgery but she had other health issues going into the HIPEC surgery.  Other than having cancer that had spread throughout my body, I thought that I was pretty healthy going into the surgery.  I was still running and exercising pretty much right up to the surgery date.  Lastly it is important to find the right surgeon and feel comfortable with that decision. 

thanks