Just recently diagnosed with colon cancer

magikproductions
magikproductions Member Posts: 25
edited February 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My name is Justin I am 24

I am in the Hospital as we speak, I have had a history of drug use for about 6 years. Started as pain in the back pain doc gave me narcotics well that went to being a bad junkie, I am now getting help from the methadone clinic. If not for them giving me blood test 4 diffrent times I would have never known I have cancer, My hemoglobin kept getting lower and lower, they finnaly said go get help or we will have to detox you, "we do not want you dieing". So I got help and will be starting chemo soon I am so scared my wife is scared. this is alot for us.

Sucks.. but gotta do what you gotta do.

thanks for reading :)

--UPDATE

I just found out through the grape vine the meds ill most likely be on is

Fluorouracil (5FU)

and Radiation, ill keep you guys updated if it changes

Comments

• renw
    renw Member Posts: 282 Member
    Hello Justin,
    Its never good

Hello Justin,

Its never good to have to join the club and sorry to see u here, especially at 24. If you caught it early at stage 1, your odds are very good. If you are at stage 4, you will have quite a fight on your hands. In that case do a lot of research and get educated in what treatments are available other than chemo. Even though it pisses oncologists off, you want to become more knowledgeable than they are and believe me that is not very hard to do.

Ren

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Justin –

Re:

“If not for them giving me blood test 4 diffrent times I would have never known I have cancer”

I don’t know of any blood tests that would prove one has cancer, especially colorectal cancer; is there more to this story? CT or other scans that would have caused your physician to give that diagnosis?

It would be in your best interests to get other opinions from physicians (especially surgeons) that are not of the same group or organization as your present physician(s). Accepting chemotherapy treatments or surgery can change you life, you shouldn’t accept anything radical until you know for certain that you even have cancer.

And even then, staging of cancer, and treatments of all types, can be very different.

Do yourself a major favor and get other opinions! You and your family deserve at least that much!

Don’t allow fear to guide you; listen to your built-in survival instincts, that’s why we have them.

Wishes for your better health,

John

• PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    John23 said:

Justin –

Re:

“If not for them giving me blood test 4 diffrent times I would have never known I have cancer”

I don’t know of any blood tests that would prove one has cancer, especially colorectal cancer; is there more to this story? CT or other scans that would have caused your physician to give that diagnosis?

It would be in your best interests to get other opinions from physicians (especially surgeons) that are not of the same group or organization as your present physician(s). Accepting chemotherapy treatments or surgery can change you life, you shouldn’t accept anything radical until you know for certain that you even have cancer.

And even then, staging of cancer, and treatments of all types, can be very different.

Do yourself a major favor and get other opinions! You and your family deserve at least that much!

Don’t allow fear to guide you; listen to your built-in survival instincts, that’s why we have them.

John

John23,

Justin said he was anemic four times so they went searching for the cause. 

Justin, so sorry for your news and I also hope this has been found early.  INSIST they check you for genetic conditions since you got ill so early.  That would be of great importance to your family and any children you might have. 

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Hi Justin,

and welcome to the board.  I hope you're getting the help you need, in terms of both the cancer and the drug issues.  You have a lot on your plate for a young man.  If you want to share more details about your cancer situation, there are many here who can provide you with information and support.  Pretty much anything cancer-related has been addressed by someone on this forum at some point; there's really a wealth of knowledge here.  Sending strength your way~Ann Alexandria

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

Hi Justin,

and welcome to the board.  I hope you're getting the help you need, in terms of both the cancer and the drug issues.  You have a lot on your plate for a young man.  If you want to share more details about your cancer situation, there are many here who can provide you with information and support.  Pretty much anything cancer-related has been addressed by someone on this forum at some point; there's really a wealth of knowledge here.  Sending strength your way~Ann Alexandria

Hi Justin

so so glad you found us....welcome to our band of warriors.....cancer warriors that is.  You must be very frightened....the beginning is always the very worst when cancer is all new and there is soooo much to learn.  Stick with us.....let us know more if you feel like sharing.

Best love and sending good wishes your way...

maggie

• bigman4christ
    bigman4christ Member Posts: 87
    sorry

Sorry about your diagnosis with colon cancer, it sucks especially at a young age.  i just turned 31 with stage 4 so i have a good idea what your going through.  well to be honest everyone on here has a good idea of what your going through.  so dont be afraid to ask questions or just vent on how your feeling, this is a great place to do that and the people here are friendly and knowledgable.

zach

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    So sorry

I was just diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer too. Have my first oncologist appointment on Monday. Good luck to both of us on this journey we're on!

• magikproductions
    magikproductions Member Posts: 25
    John23 said:

Justin –

Re:

John

I had the blood test done my

I had the blood test done my hemoglobin was getting lower and lower, they wanted to find the reason for my shortage of hemoglobin so I had a rectal test thingy done with a little amout of blood in the stool. this led to them wanting to do a colonoscopy and the one down me throat. nothing in the upper half, they went in the bottom saw a lump, but I was not "cleaned" out enough lol. so more mag citrate and this big jug of what tatsed like salt water, finally after 2 more times they got the biopsy sure it is cancer, now they need to find out what stage and then the chemo if need be to shrink it abit I reallly dont wanna have a colastomy bag, I will if I have to but I will try anything else to fight it off. any who sorry for not being more detailed on what happend my laptop was dieing that night and I had to type super fast was too tired and couldn't sit up to plug it in.

thanks for all the support

Justin

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Just like you

Hey Justin, I have a friend who followed the same kind of path at about the same age.

She got into the drugs, she got out of the drugs, she was diagnosed with stage 3A colon cancer at 26. Surgery, chemo, a little misbehaving led to one more surgery, and now she is seven years NED (no evidence of disease) and as healthy and fiesty as ever.

You're young, and you're healthy, you will kick this just like my friend did. 

We're here for you along the path. Surgery was a doddle but the chemo sucks. 

Think positive all the way. Cry when you have to, but only for a short time. 

• Trubrit said:

Just like you

Hey Justin, I have a friend who followed the same kind of path at about the same age.

She got into the drugs, she got out of the drugs, she was diagnosed with stage 3A colon cancer at 26. Surgery, chemo, a little misbehaving led to one more surgery, and now she is seven years NED (no evidence of disease) and as healthy and fiesty as ever.

You're young, and you're healthy, you will kick this just like my friend did. 

We're here for you along the path. Surgery was a doddle but the chemo sucks. 

Think positive all the way. Cry when you have to, but only for a short time. 

wow thats soo crazy sounds

wow thats soo crazy sounds just like me lol, I plan to get off the methadone after I get rid of this for good.

Also I wanted to let everybody know I had my port put in Yesterday! I am so sore lol but I am happy this will make life easier for them taking, giving blood plus giving me the treatments also.

anywho I will keep you guys Up to date on whats going on in my life and how things are

much love

Justin AKA Magik

• sorry

Sorry about your diagnosis with colon cancer, it sucks especially at a young age.  i just turned 31 with stage 4 so i have a good idea what your going through.  well to be honest everyone on here has a good idea of what your going through.  so dont be afraid to ask questions or just vent on how your feeling, this is a great place to do that and the people here are friendly and knowledgable.

zach

UPDATE

Just wanted to let everyone know I am home out of the hospital, still waiting on medicaids anwser well not an anwser but a direction if it is a yes the clinic I am getting chemo from will start if its a no(hopeing and praying not) there will have to be other things put in play.

• hippiechicks
    hippiechicks Member Posts: 509 Member
    Wishing you the best of luck

Wishing you the best of luck as you begin your journey.  I did not see a stage for you, but am thinking they must have that done if treatments are beginning.  I hope they are easy for you and you respond well to them.  There is a lot to learn and this can be really overwhelming.  I also know someone who was diagnosed the same way you were by the blood counts being very low.  Surgery and 5fu treatments were a success and they are still NED for 2 years now.

Sending positive energy to you! 

• Dyanclark
    Dyanclark Member Posts: 296

I had the blood test done my hemoglobin was getting lower and lower, they wanted to find the reason for my shortage of hemoglobin so I had a rectal test thingy done with a little amout of blood in the stool. this led to them wanting to do a colonoscopy and the one down me throat. nothing in the upper half, they went in the bottom saw a lump, but I was not "cleaned" out enough lol. so more mag citrate and this big jug of what tatsed like salt water, finally after 2 more times they got the biopsy sure it is cancer, now they need to find out what stage and then the chemo if need be to shrink it abit I reallly dont wanna have a colastomy bag, I will if I have to but I will try anything else to fight it off. any who sorry for not being more detailed on what happend my laptop was dieing that night and I had to type super fast was too tired and couldn't sit up to plug it in.

Justin

Bag

The bag may not be necessary.   It will depend on how much they have to cut.  My husband had his tumor removed & 6" of colon no bag.   He has a bag now due to return of cancer & blockage from treatments.  Take care of your health and get on a good healthy diet to  get well and hopefully get cancer free.

• Wishing you the best of luck

Wishing you the best of luck as you begin your journey.  I did not see a stage for you, but am thinking they must have that done if treatments are beginning.  I hope they are easy for you and you respond well to them.  There is a lot to learn and this can be really overwhelming.  I also know someone who was diagnosed the same way you were by the blood counts being very low.  Surgery and 5fu treatments were a success and they are still NED for 2 years now.

Sending positive energy to you! 

thanks

Honestly I do not know the stage either I kept asking but no anwser ill ask on my appointment monday and let you guys know :) thanks for the words a encouragement they really do help

• Trubrit

thanks

Honestly I do not know the stage either I kept asking but no anwser ill ask on my appointment monday and let you guys know :) thanks for the words a encouragement they really do help

Medical records

Remind me, was the surgery to remvoe the tumour or placement of your port?

If you've had your tumour biopsied then they will have a pathology reprot which they base their staging on. This can take up to a week, though mine came in a few days thank goodness. 

I suggest you ask for copies of your medical records. Regardless of your concerns, you should have copies of all your medical records for your own files at home. That includes blood test results, scans etc. 

Its an emotionally trying time, espeically at the beginning when you are waiting, waiting, waiting. We are all here for you and wishing you well. 

Continue to keep us posted. 

• Trubrit said:

Medical records

Remind me, was the surgery to remvoe the tumour or placement of your port?

If you've had your tumour biopsied then they will have a pathology reprot which they base their staging on. This can take up to a week, though mine came in a few days thank goodness. 

I suggest you ask for copies of your medical records. Regardless of your concerns, you should have copies of all your medical records for your own files at home. That includes blood test results, scans etc. 

Its an emotionally trying time, espeically at the beginning when you are waiting, waiting, waiting. We are all here for you and wishing you well. 

Continue to keep us posted. 

I had the port put in they

I had the port put in they wanna shrink the mass before removig it as do I I would preferr not to get a bag for my life, if I have to then I will but i am tryin this first. and I do I have this pretty sweet book from the lance armstrong foundation, it have like pockets to save all my info and place to right how i feel when i start chemo, and my appointments. I will get all my info from the appointment on monday and save it so I know what is happening, as of now we are waiting to see if medicaid is on the yes track to apporving me so they can start.

• Trubrit

I had the port put in they wanna shrink the mass before removig it as do I I would preferr not to get a bag for my life, if I have to then I will but i am tryin this first. and I do I have this pretty sweet book from the lance armstrong foundation, it have like pockets to save all my info and place to right how i feel when i start chemo, and my appointments. I will get all my info from the appointment on monday and save it so I know what is happening, as of now we are waiting to see if medicaid is on the yes track to apporving me so they can start.

Port or starboard

My husband always has something funny to say about my port. 

Its a wonderful invention, and I am glad that you were able to get one, as some people can't. 

Now I wonder if they can stage your cancer if they don't remove the tumour. I'm still new and fairly ignorant, so I'm sure others here will be able to help you with that. 

I really can't see why they would not tell you up front what your cancer is staged at, so maybe they have not determined that yet. 

Good luck with medicade. I was born and bred in England, and find the American insurance system terribly frustrating. 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

Justin

justin

I had fu5 coupled with radiation  prior to my resection. Various comlications,but have been NED  for last 22 months.  Good luck in beating it as I have!!!

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    5FU is pretty standard, although

oxaliplatin is often added (refered to as FOLFOX).  Did they say why they wouldn't be using that?  And I saw you got a port put in.  Those things are awesome.  I would recommend asking for a numbing cream if they have it available.  You put it on about an hour before the port is accessed and it's pretty much pain-free.  If they can't presribe the cream, they will usually have a little shot they can give you in the area of the port.  It stings a little, but less so than having the port accessed with nothing to blunt the poke.  Good luck, and keep us posted.  You're in the scariest part right now, too many unknowns, but it will get better, I promise!  Hugs~Ann Alexandria

• KayeKay
    KayeKay Member Posts: 122

i was diagnosed stage 4 at

i was diagnosed stage 4 at 22. had 12" of my colon removed and no bag. 20% of my liver and 12 rounds of 5 FU, oxaliplatin, and avastin. i was just diagnosed again. it came back to my liver. u can do ghis. i know exactly what your going through. Any ?s feel free to ask anytime. Stay Strong! Cancer is only as strong as u let it and surgery followed by chemo is always the most curative way.