Stage 4 Stomach Cancer Chemo and CEA Level

JennySC
JennySC Member Posts: 29
edited February 2013 in Stomach Cancer #1

When my husband was diagnosed the cancer, his CEA was 54 in December 2012. After first chemo, CEA was 49. After second one, it dropped to 33. After 3rd chemo, right before his 4th Chemo last week, CEA was 13.

My husband has been feeling very well. And he looks good and exercises 45 minutes per day. The evidence of Chemo has been encouraging, and he has tried other alternative treatments as well!

I don't know how to interpret CEA for the stage 4 cancer my husband has. If CEA is normal for people with stomach cancer, does it mean that this person is free of cancer? Maybe my husband had high CEA because he had lung problem a month ago. He has no Lung cancer mets. Please share your knowledge or CEA info if you know. Your help is highly appreciation.

And here is what I have found on CEA from the web:

The carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) test measures the amount of this protein that may appear in the blood of some people who have certain kinds of cancers, especially large intestine (colon and rectal) cancer. It may also be present in people with cancer of the pancreas, breast, ovary, or lung.CEA is normally produced during the development of a fetus. The production of CEA stops before birth, and it usually is not present in the blood of healthy adults.

Why It Is Done

The carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) test is used to:

• Find how widespread cancer is for some types of the disease, especially colon cancer.
  • Check the success of treatment for colon cancer.
    • CEA levels may be measured both before and after surgery to evaluate both the success of the surgery and the person's chances of recovery.
    • CEA levels may be measured during treatment with medicines to destroy cancer cells (chemotherapy). This provides information about how well the treatment is working.
  • Check to see if cancer has returned after treatment.

Comments

• Robleyd
    Robleyd Member Posts: 12

Hi JenntSC, I have never heard of CEA, so I can not speak on it. I seen in one of your other post that you stated that no Surgery! How did they fine the cancer and where had it spred? What type of Chemo are you on? What does your Dr say about it? Best regards
    Robley

• JennySC
    Robleyd said:

Hi JenntSC, I have never heard of CEA, so I can not speak on it. I seen in one of your other post that you stated that no Surgery! How did they fine the cancer and where had it spred? What type of Chemo are you on? What does your Dr say about it? Best regards
    Robley

Hi, Robley,

I have also read some of your posts. It's great to know that you are doing very well!

It was after Thanksgiving 2012 when my husband coughed a lot and was short of breath. The doctor had Bronchoscopy and found cancer cell in in his lung, but not lung cancer. After he checked in hospital and he used Oxygen tank, the doctor diagnosed the stomach cancer via EGD on Dec 11. It's determined as Stage 4 so the surgery was not option. As he's Her2 positive, the chemo includes Herceptin, in addition to 5 Fu. So far so good. CellQuest drinks have helped his immune system strong. Also he has taken B17 tablets, and plans to just eat apricot kernels for maintenance later. The Coffee Enema has helped him to cope with Chemo side effects. The CEA numbers definitely look good. And he doesn't use Oxygen tank anymore.

On the other hand, I have read someone with Stomach cancer here reporting the CEA down to 1.2, and this person has been silent for a while. I was wondering what happened after CEA was at 1.2.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Jenny,SC

• Robleyd
  • JennySC
    Robleyd said:
    Facebook

That's good to know. Thank you, Rebleyd!

If it's a private discussion at Facebook, I would be very interested. My husband hasn't shared the cancer news with many friends yet.

• Robleyd
    FB

Yes it is, Only people that are invited to that page on FB can see what goes there.
        Robley

• JennySC
    Robleyd said:

FB

Yes it is, Only people that are invited to that page on FB can see what goes there.
        Robley

CEA up

Hi,

My husband's doctor uses CEA as tumor marker. When CEA was down to 7, everybody was happy. Now, after 8 chemos, CEA is 18, so everybody gets upset, and I am worried.

On the other hand, it seems that CEA is not that important. It's more important to be positive. Here is what I have found. Thanks.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/tumor-markers

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)

• Cancer types: Colorectal cancer and breast cancer
    • Tissue analyzed: Blood
    • How used: To check whether colorectal cancer has spread; to look for breast cancer recurrence and assess response to treatment

carcinoembryonic antigenlisten

A substance that may be found in the blood of people who have colon cancer, other types of cancer or diseases, or who smoke tobacco. Carcinoembryonic antigen levels may help keep track of how well cancer treatments are working or if cancer has come back. It is a type of tumor marker. Also called CEA.

http://www.aacc.org/members/nacb/LMPG/OnlineGuide/PublishedGuidelines/LiverTumorMarkerLMPG/Documents/LiverTumorMarkersCh5.pdf

• JennySC
    Robleyd said:

FB

Robley

CEA up

Hi,

My husband's doctor uses CEA as tumor marker. When CEA was down to 7, everybody was happy. Now, after 8 chemos, CEA is 18, so everybody gets upset, and I am worried.

On the other hand, it seems that CEA is not that important. It's more important to be positive. Here is what I have found. Thanks.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/tumor-markers

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)

• Cancer types: Colorectal cancer and breast cancer
    • Tissue analyzed: Blood
    • How used: To check whether colorectal cancer has spread; to look for breast cancer recurrence and assess response to treatment

carcinoembryonic antigenlisten

A substance that may be found in the blood of people who have colon cancer, other types of cancer or diseases, or who smoke tobacco. Carcinoembryonic antigen levels may help keep track of how well cancer treatments are working or if cancer has come back. It is a type of tumor marker. Also called CEA.

http://www.aacc.org/members/nacb/LMPG/OnlineGuide/PublishedGuidelines/LiverTumorMarkerLMPG/Documents/LiverTumorMarkersCh5.pdf