To: Luvinlife2

janie1
janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
What is the class action lawsuit about regarding Celebrex? Liver damage?

Just curious. I was taking it with my liver enzymes high from chemo in the hai pump. I stopped it on my own. Doctor never suggested that. Now my liver enzymes are through the roof. I'm scared there is permanent damage.

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    ahcc best mushroom out of japan

google ahcc it looks good, i am on it.

if your stuck on chemo its worth a try! 

the company that makes has an anti angio genic offering.

i have not put this on my blog yet, it looks really really good.

but it costs 300 bucks aussie for 50 days, i got a pdf , if you are interested pm me with email and ill shoot it to you

hugs,

pete

ps i hope tans will comment, he is the japanese mushroom king

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Info

"Pfizer, the manufacturer of Celebrex (Celecoxib), was running a government-sponsored cancer prevention trial as part of an effort to find a new application for the drug-it is currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of arthritis and pain. The National Cancer Institute, which was conducting the study for Pfizer, suspended use of the drug after finding that patients taking 400mg to 800mg of Celebrex daily had a 2.5 times greater risk of major heart problems than those who were taking placebos (look-alike pills with no active ingredients)."   http://lawsuits.lawinfo.com/Celebrex/index.html

As to the class action suit.  I beleive that there was a settlement in general made May, 2012.

• luvinlife2
    luvinlife2 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Liver and heart

That is what has been advertised on the Canadian TV channels.  I don't think the Canadian lawsuite has been settled yet as they were still advertising on TV back in Sept/Oct for anyone who was affected to contact the legal team.  Celebrex in high doses is hard on the liver.  Here's a link to some info that may be of help to you.  Janie I have liver damage from the chemo...scarring, but my liver enzymes are well within normal limits. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/520579-how-to-get-liver-enzymes-down/

Hope this helps :)

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    It's interesting...

my HMO basically won't prescribe Pfizer drugs, because they have had several cases like this.  A lot of shenanigans around study results, for this drug as well as others. An earlier case with a different drug apparently led to a number of deaths.   AA

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member

Liver and heart

That is what has been advertised on the Canadian TV channels.  I don't think the Canadian lawsuite has been settled yet as they were still advertising on TV back in Sept/Oct for anyone who was affected to contact the legal team.  Celebrex in high doses is hard on the liver.  Here's a link to some info that may be of help to you.  Janie I have liver damage from the chemo...scarring, but my liver enzymes are well within normal limits. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/520579-how-to-get-liver-enzymes-down/

Hope this helps :)

Expired

The time to join the Canadian suit expired Dec. 20, 3012.

The label insert info does have a warning about elevation of liver enzymes, as well as other things.  The issue with heart problems and strokes was so pronounced that it went to "black box" status on the label.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/020998s033,021156s003lbl.pdf

• luvinlife2
    luvinlife2 Member Posts: 172 Member

but it costs 300 bucks aussie for 50 days, i got a pdf , if you are interested pm me with email and ill shoot it to you

hugs,

pete

Thanks Pete :)

I'm hoping I won't be on chemo for much longer.  I have an appointment with my Nat onc this week and I will ask him about this.  I have to watch some of these mushrooms because they can thin the blood and I am on Avastin.  Smile

• vinaykumar
    vinaykumar Member Posts: 66 Member

hugs,

pete

i got these....whats the

i got these....whats the dosage you are on ? also did you try psk?

• vinaykumar
    vinaykumar Member Posts: 66 Member

hugs,

pete

i got these....whats the

i got these....whats the dosage you are on ? also did you try psk?

• janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member

It's interesting...

my HMO basically won't prescribe Pfizer drugs, because they have had several cases like this.  A lot of shenanigans around study results, for this drug as well as others. An earlier case with a different drug apparently led to a number of deaths.   AA

Thanks all.
    Ann....that is

Thanks all.

Ann....that is very interesting about your HMO not using P's drugs. Yes, there sure are a lot of shenanigans happening.
    Speaking of "P". I was at a hotel a couple of years ago where there were a bunch of "P" sales reps. I was in the lobby (or whatever you call it) a lot. There was always a bunch of reps around. I couldn't help but overhear what they were saying. I "gathered" they had to do pretty much whatever it took to make their sales numbers.

One funny thing about pharm co's. Over the years, their reps got younger and younger, and the young women's suit skirts got shorter and shorter.
    If I were buying drugs, I'd like to buy from someone with experience (maybe someone actually from the medical field), instead of just out-of-college business degree types.

I've often wondered, do pharm co's really think doctors are that gullible, that they need to send in a short-skirted sales rep. And another thing........that really gets me..........there are MANY FEMALE DOCTORS.......do the female doctors care if the sales rep is young and wears a short skirt. What an insult to doctors!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously it's some old guys at the pharm co's that are out of touch that came up with that action plan.
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    janie1 said:

Thanks all.
    Ann....that is

Thanks all.

Ann....that is very interesting about your HMO not using P's drugs. Yes, there sure are a lot of shenanigans happening.
    Speaking of "P". I was at a hotel a couple of years ago where there were a bunch of "P" sales reps. I was in the lobby (or whatever you call it) a lot. There was always a bunch of reps around. I couldn't help but overhear what they were saying. I "gathered" they had to do pretty much whatever it took to make their sales numbers.

One funny thing about pharm co's. Over the years, their reps got younger and younger, and the young women's suit skirts got shorter and shorter.
    If I were buying drugs, I'd like to buy from someone with experience (maybe someone actually from the medical field), instead of just out-of-college business degree types.

I've often wondered, do pharm co's really think doctors are that gullible, that they need to send in a short-skirted sales rep. And another thing........that really gets me..........there are MANY FEMALE DOCTORS.......do the female doctors care if the sales rep is young and wears a short skirt. What an insult to doctors!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously it's some old guys at the pharm co's that are out of touch that came up with that action plan.

I have been on celebrex for the past six months
    Prior to going on it my nephrologist did bloods. He is not impressed with the drug but he is less impressed with the state of my arthritis. The celebrex was a concession to quality of life. The bloods at that stage were not too bad ,liver was high on a few counts but not as bad as it had been. Protein loss was around 2.7 gramms a day but other kidney functions were ok. Itook myself off celebrex last month. I was starting to get chest pains. I had a chest scan that showed congestive heart failure and pulmonary oedeema. I saw my neph last week. My bloods showed my liver way out of bounds. My protein and kidney functions are around the same but he is concerned about my heart and sent me for an echo cardiograph. I see him in a couple of weeks. The results will be interesting to say the least. Ron.
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    ron50 said:

I have been on celebrex for the past six months
    Prior to going on it my nephrologist did bloods. He is not impressed with the drug but he is less impressed with the state of my arthritis. The celebrex was a concession to quality of life. The bloods at that stage were not too bad ,liver was high on a few counts but not as bad as it had been. Protein loss was around 2.7 gramms a day but other kidney functions were ok. Itook myself off celebrex last month. I was starting to get chest pains. I had a chest scan that showed congestive heart failure and pulmonary oedeema. I saw my neph last week. My bloods showed my liver way out of bounds. My protein and kidney functions are around the same but he is concerned about my heart and sent me for an echo cardiograph. I see him in a couple of weeks. The results will be interesting to say the least. Ron.

nutrient treatments

Ron any particular celecoxib dose?    It would be good if we can get hints from literature and doctors about what kind of cardiac events that surround the Celebrex population, heart failure vs clots with stroke or heart attack vs dissection.  

Each failure mode should have a molecular basis and hence a nutritional possibility.  In fact for  common, non coxib versions of the all the risk types above  there already are already natural recommendations. eg. for heart failure tendencies due to statins, 200+ mg of CoQ10 has been suggested, plus others like hawthorne, vit B1, taurine and carnitines for heart failure in general.  

• tanstaafl

hugs,

pete

No experience with AHCC.

No experience with AHCC, Pete.  Basically I like a variety of extracts, good literature reports and generic pricing.  

PSK and Biothera's WGP (special beta glucan) are my cost leaders, moderately expensive ~US $60-75 per month each.  I like commodity extracts where possible, like Maitake Mushroom Extract (Grifola frondosa) standardized to 30% polysaccharides;  Reishi Mushroom Extract (Ganoderma lucidum) standardized to 10% polysaccharides, 2% ergosterols; Shiitake Mushroom Extract (Lentinus edodes) standardized to 6% polysaccharides

Sometimes I feel we are walking a tightrope on liver load with mushroom extracts (especially A. blazeii), niacinamide and other components.

For liver health and inflammation, boswellia, silymarin, N-acetylcysteine, lipoic acid, vitamin C, selenomethonine, lecithin and whey protein are things we use.  Also tart cherry extract for COX2 inhibition.    

I've been vacillating on celecoxib but probably need to do it.

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    tanstaafl said:

nutrient treatments

Ron any particular celecoxib dose?    It would be good if we can get hints from literature and doctors about what kind of cardiac events that surround the Celebrex population, heart failure vs clots with stroke or heart attack vs dissection.  

Each failure mode should have a molecular basis and hence a nutritional possibility.  In fact for  common, non coxib versions of the all the risk types above  there already are already natural recommendations. eg. for heart failure tendencies due to statins, 200+ mg of CoQ10 has been suggested, plus others like hawthorne, vit B1, taurine and carnitines for heart failure in general.  

The dose varied
    I was taking Pfizer Celebrex 200mg celeccoxib capsules one at night but also one in the morning on bad days. Their benefit was not that obvious until I stopped taking them. Ron.
  • annalexandria
    ron50 said:

The dose varied
    I was taking Pfizer Celebrex 200mg celeccoxib capsules one at night but also one in the morning on bad days. Their benefit was not that obvious until I stopped taking them. Ron.

I took Celebrex briefly...

for arthritis as well (only after failing two other NSAIDs, and only because my rheumatologist could pull some strings, otherwise my HMO simply won't rx Pfizer drugs).  It worked great for the pain, but caused horrendous cramping and nausea.  From Marie's stuff that she posted, it looks like fudging on side effects is one of the issues in these law suits.  I wonder if you have "leaky gut syndrome" contributing to your arthritis, as seems to be the case with my problems (I posted about that today)?   Or do you have osteo-arthritis?  

• annalexandria
    janie1 said:

Thanks all.
    Ann....that is

Thanks all.

What's really interesting

is that I would never have gotten the full story if I wasn't friends with the rheumatologist I see at the HMO.  He was willing to give me the background story on the whole thing and it was pretty fascinating, getting an inside look at this stuff.  I'll bet Pfizer hates HMOs, because they can't meet with individual docs and talk them into rx'ing their drugs by flashing their legs (I mean, for real?  What year is this, 1952??).

• tanstaafl

What's really interesting

is that I would never have gotten the full story if I wasn't friends with the rheumatologist I see at the HMO.  He was willing to give me the background story on the whole thing and it was pretty fascinating, getting an inside look at this stuff.  I'll bet Pfizer hates HMOs, because they can't meet with individual docs and talk them into rx'ing their drugs by flashing their legs (I mean, for real?  What year is this, 1952??).

The nature of the beast: younger with equal opportunity

Several years ago, one of my kids, a college sophomore and not a science major, was interviewed by P. This was for a summer sales job at double monthly pay for double the hours.  P was looking for literally certified, high ability kids with charming personalities.   This kid finished calculus several grades earlier than most students, can have a magnetic influence on people, pegged out most of the military fitness categories, and is considered reasonably good looking.  

Immediately after the first interview, on a mid-Thursday, they flew him half way across the country to a hotel for more interviews.   That night he called me since he had pressed me to dig out, scan and email all those certificates, starting from elementary school. He had politely demurred about who or what all the fuss was for.  

"Hey dad, guess where I am?"  Me: "I hope you're in school."  

"Guess again." I named the locations in a 100 mile radius. "Nope."  Me, more worried: "Where the Hell are you?"      

So finally he fessed up where, discussed the flight, the hotel, and the second interview. For P.   I simply said, "I hope you didn't mention me."  Son: "No, it's okay.  I mentioned your [recent, active] interest in nutrition and vitamins and just joked about it."   Me:  "They won't think it's funny, and you're probably toast." [Yep]   So he spent the summer more productively elsewhere, closer to his major.   And P, thanks for the sightseeing trip.