12 days and arm pits don't need shaved

herdizziness
herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member

Well, it's happening, no need to shave arm pit hairs in shower this morning, I had them yesterday but gone today.  And the nether region is next on the agenda it appears.  Ha! Don't have to pay money for a Brazilian wax!

May have to have a hair today gone tomorrow party next weekend at this rate.  second Irinotecan infusion is the 4th.

i think I'll be off scarf and hat shopping soon.

sun is shining and it's a beautiful day, so putting off worries for later and enjoying the sunshine!

Winter Marie

Comments

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hi Marie:

Geez, I'm sorry this has happened.  The exact thing happened to George, hair came out after first or second treatment.  He lost everything both north and south of the border.  Just keep in mind that this drug, as hard as it is, does work very well.   If you feel the need for a wig the American Cancer Society can help with that.  Whatever you do decide to do you are beautiful, with or without hair, just remember that.  If you want to know about George's experience with this drug, the good, the bad and the ugly, send me a pm. 

Hugs - Tina

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    That Didn't Take Tooooo Long...

"One and Done?"

Yep...everything with hair MUST GO! 

When that area south of the border begins to dry up...that's a little disconcerting in some way...not too sure why...but it's clear why hair was invented:)

LOL!

Arm pits we can live with...

What got to me more was when I lost my eyebrows...and my eyelashes...the eyes just don't look right...since you see that everyday, it begins to wear on you, at least it did me.  Because, it's the face of cancer...and the face that everybody sees...in the end, no big deal...but it's just a visibile reminder of the concessions that we begin to make when in the throes of treatment.

And beside, I got great lashes (especially for a guy)...pretty hazel green eyes too...the best of both worlds!  Cool

You'll probably lose your nose hair, your ear hair...and you could lose most or all of the hair on your legs and arms....the hair on your head will undoubtedly thin and may completely out...I never could shave it off...kept convincing myself that the "comb over" was working so well:)

I'm glad you're doing well on it so far...it was very hard for me...I think you just do chemo better than me:)  No matter what brand or flavor it is:)

Hoping for a positive response to treatment for you...

-Me

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Sundanceh said:

"One and Done?"

When that area south of the border begins to dry up...that's a little disconcerting in some way...not too sure why...but it's clear why hair was invented:)

LOL!

What got to me more was when I lost my eyebrows...and my eyelashes...the eyes just don't look right...since you see that everyday, it begins to wear on you, at least it did me.  Because, it's the face of cancer...and the face that everybody sees...in the end, no big deal...but it's just a visibile reminder of the concessions that we begin to make when in the throes of treatment.

And beside, I got great lashes (especially for a guy)...pretty hazel green eyes too...the best of both worlds!  Cool

You'll probably lose your nose hair, your ear hair...and you could lose most or all of the hair on your legs and arms....the hair on your head will undoubtedly thin and may completely out...I never could shave it off...kept convincing myself that the "comb over" was working so well:)

I'm glad you're doing well on it so far...it was very hard for me...I think you just do chemo better than me:)  No matter what brand or flavor it is:)

-Me

Winter,  my first time on

Winter,  my first time on Folfiri I lost hair south of the boarder,  but  the hair on my head thinned,  no one could tell but me,  my hair is very long.    So, maybe the hair on your  head won't be affected,  but everyone seems to be different.    When I started back on folfiri  I had 4 infusions and haven't noticed any hair loss anywhere, who knows maybe as time goes on when I get back on it I'll lose some.    Dealing with a UTI right now,  so back on an anti-biotic for the next 10 days.  Have a CT scan on Friday, and onc. appt.  and supposed to be back on chemo. next week.....

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Sundanceh said:

"One and Done?"

LOL!

-Me

Winter,  my first time on Folfiri I lost hair south of the boarder,  but  the hair on my head thinned,  no one could tell but me,  my hair is very long.    So, maybe the hair on your  head won't be affected,  but everyone seems to be different.    When I started back on folfiri  I had 4 infusions and haven't noticed any hair loss anywhere, who knows maybe as time goes on when I get back on it I'll lose some.    Dealing with a UTI right now,  so back on an anti-biotic for the next 10 days.  Have a CT scan on Friday, and onc. appt.  and supposed to be back on chemo. next week.....

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Hi Marie, Steve has lost
    Hi Marie,

Steve has lost about half his hair. Just like last time. I think it bothers him a bit. His hair has always seemed important to him. He would be a lot more upset if he could see the red bumps (look like boils) that have developed only on the back of his head. Most of his hair loss is towards the back of his head. Kind of looks like the measles. Unfortunately, his nose and ear hair continues to grow. This is hair he would not mind parting with. He has just informed me that all hair everywhere has " thinned out considerably". Oh, the joys of cancer. My cousin, who is also doing chemo, ordered a wig off the internet for $60.00. It looks very realistic and it also looks like it's good quality.

Hang in there!

Chelsea

How is it going otherwise? Any diarrhea or nausea? Do they give you a steroid in pill form with your chemo? Steve gets one. They say it is to increase his appetite. It must be working as he's put on about 20 lbs. since starting. Same as last time.
  • herdizziness
    Sundanceh said:

"One and Done?"

LOL!

-Me

hey Craig

I had my eyebrows tatooed as well when I had my eyeliner tatooed on a couple of years ago in preparation for this day if it ever came, so good there when the eyebrow hair falls out at least I'll see and know where they were.

I plan on learning how to put on those fake eyelashes, go for the over the top 60's look LOL!

As of this afternoon I can take two fingers and gently pull on my hair and my fingers come away with mucho hair, it is definitely going.

Rather then deal with the slow death of hair on head I'm having a party this Sunday, and the beneficiary of this party will be locks of love, so some little girl can have blonde hair.  I qualify with well over the ten inches in length of hair required.

My daughter-in-laws mom is a proficient crocheter and will be crocheting me so hats, so good there.

So far doing well under the Irinotecan, I can even pronounce it now.  My oncologist actually called me today to check on me, asking about diarhea, etc., since he hasn't heard from me, guess he thought I would call with a complaint and since didn't he better check and see if I was still alive. LOL.  Gotta love him.

Winter Marie

• herdizziness
    Chelsea71 said:

Hi Marie, Steve has lost
    Hi Marie,

Steve has lost about half his hair. Just like last time. I think it bothers him a bit. His hair has always seemed important to him. He would be a lot more upset if he could see the red bumps (look like boils) that have developed only on the back of his head. Most of his hair loss is towards the back of his head. Kind of looks like the measles. Unfortunately, his nose and ear hair continues to grow. This is hair he would not mind parting with. He has just informed me that all hair everywhere has " thinned out considerably". Oh, the joys of cancer. My cousin, who is also doing chemo, ordered a wig off the internet for $60.00. It looks very realistic and it also looks like it's good quality.

Hang in there!

Chelsea

How is it going otherwise? Any diarrhea or nausea? Do they give you a steroid in pill form with your chemo? Steve gets one. They say it is to increase his appetite. It must be working as he's put on about 20 lbs. since starting. Same as last time.

Chelsea

I had nausea once and threw up on day 5 I think, also threw up blood and got scared but it went away on the next dry heave, so felt better, no problems since.

Had diarhea every day since day 4, so took one immodium every day and that seems to have stopped it each time so good there.

I have a steroid infusion with the Irinotecan.

You had me laughing with tears in my eyes over your well written words on Steve's hair loss.  Thank you for that!!

Winter Marie

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Coverings

I have recently done a search on the net for the wig/scarf/hats for my sister who is in treatment for stage 4 uterine cancer.

One of the sites I found that was impressive as well as reasonably prices was:

http://www.tlcdirect.org/Default.aspx

I also got her to sign up for the local Look Good-Feel Good program sponsored by the American Cancer Society.  We go a week from Sat.  Apparently they help with make-up tips and even show you how to pencil in the eye brows.  It seems the major cosmetic manufacturers donate all the supplies that they send you home with.

While sis doesn't need the wig just yet, she got her hair cut to the same lenght and style as the one she wants, so that the transition won't be so noticable.  I also talked her into a cap that has hair attached to the rim...so she can toss it on for quick trips out when she doesn't want to do the wig.

Here is hoping for every hair you lose, that a multitude of cancer cells are dying!

Hugs and love,

Marie who loves kitties

• Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Hair

When i was overweight and doing water aerobics to shed the pounds, I'd shave arms, legs, chest and pits to cut down on ressitance.  Now days when I want that body hair it just ain't there except for a small patch on the chest.  The Rhino in a teacan did make the hair on my head start to fall out, but not all of it.  After going off of it for awhile, the hair did start to grow back but after I re-started it the hair on my head is still coming back in, just very slowly.  My hair now is about the length it is in my new avatar photo and I haven't had a haircut since September 2011.

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    goodluck winter

i hope this works and you find a way to  manage the sides.

hugs,

pete

• herdizziness
    smokeyjoe said:

Here's hoping

your UTI gets taken care of quickly, are you drinking cranberry juice (that always helped me)?

I'm definitely suffering the hair loss, each day is worse, Woke up this morning and it was really coming out, hope it stays in until my "Hair today, Gone tomorrow" party on Sunday!!!

Hoping for an improved scan for you on Friday.

Winter Marie

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    I'm glad you're able to see the bright side of things, Winter...

hopefully the leg hairs will be the next to go.  Only good thing about losing my hair was getting to skip shaving (not that I do much anyway, especially in the off-season).  On a more serious note, I'm truly sorry you have to go through this again.  I didn't lose my hair on FOLFOX, but when I was on carbo-taxol, I did lose it, and the night it all fell out in a big, horrible clump was actually one of the most upsetting of the whole, sucky process.  Not sure why, it's just hair...but holy cow, I cried my eyes out, and I rarely cry.  So hugs to you...you're a strong lady, and I know you'll be ok, but this is a hard thing to have to go through.  AA

• Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Ilost most of my long hair to

Ilost most of my long hair to thinning.  I do have some small bald patches here and there.  I it most of my hair off...still hoping to keep what I have left....I cut it to about 3" long ...it used to be more than 12" from the nape of the neck.   I did go out and get a wig...I feel more confident...less like a cancer patient when I am wearing it.   I still have some hair north and south...but a lot finer and much less than I had before.  I still have to shave the arm pits ... But it is a lot less.

Your hair will grow back...so I have been teased my husband that the dr told me that when it comes back it will be straight and red!

Alex

• k44454445
    k44454445 Member Posts: 494
    Winter Marie

i have never been a vain person about my hair but when mine started coming out after 4 tx of folfiri plus avastin i was very upset! it came out in huge clumps & i clogged the shower drain several times! so far that is the only place i have lost hair & i completed on monday my 12tx out of 12 !( surg is in feb)  my leg & pit hair did grow but very slow. i did get a wig & i just wear it when i go out. all my grandkids think it is funny how i can wear it then go to almost no hair when i take it off! even the granddaughter who is 10 months laughs when i take it off. when i talk to the 2 yr old granddaughter on the phone,  she always ask "do you have hair today grandma''?. at first i felt weird wearing the wig but it makes me feel good & somewhat normal. if i was younger i might not have bought the wig. one thing that helped me adjust was that the drug that took my hair was giving me life. hang in there & goodluck!

hugs

judy

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Bummer

Sorry you are going through this and I'm sure this is hard but you have had such a great attitude towards everything you are going through.  Hope that the treatments are going well for you.  My one daughter shaves all the time down south and could never figure that out but guess that is the sexy thing to do nowadays so you are right in line with the new generation.

Hugs!  Kim

• Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    Hi Winter,
    I'm just catching

Hi Winter,

I'm just catching up on posts and saw this one. I love your take on things and  your sense of humor is wonderful. I wish everything for you and pray for NED.

GOD bless you

Brenda

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Up

Up

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member

Hi Winter,
    I'm just catching

Hi Winter,

I'm just catching up on posts and saw this one. I love your take on things and  your sense of humor is wonderful. I wish everything for you and pray for NED.

GOD bless you

Brenda

winter

you crack me up i am sitting here laughing my arse off but you know its better to laugh at the situation than cry.im glad you are coping well with the falling out hair thing.i cried a bit about it but hey the bald look kind of grows on you after awhile.since i have been on xeloda my hair has really grown back.so many people comment on how nice it looks and bla bla bla but in reality i just say thanks and just go with the flow of things because i know someday i maybe right back on the irrinatecan and whoops the hair will go bye bye again.one day at a time girl thats all we can do.keep on fighting....Godbless...johnnybegood

• belindahill
    belindahill Member Posts: 144
    Hair gone?..

Hi, my husband started this drug on the 3rd of Jan. Heard so many bad things, so was preparing for the worst! So far so good, early days yet though. Reading all the comments about hair loss, made us so much see the funny side, so bring it on!!! Wishing everyone lots and lots of good news 2013 .