Can someone help?

DogRescuer
DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member
Since my diagnosis I have been volunteering with Iberman Angels.

http://www.imermanangels.org/

The organization matches volunteers with someone newly diagnosed with the same kind of cancer you have/had. I've been matched with 2 ladies with kidney cancer so far and one really needs help. They found 2 spots on her lungs and she had cat scans today to see if it's spread to other areas but won't get the results until Mon or Tues. So poor thing is extrememly upset and crying. I've talked to her and it's helped, but she mentioned that she'd love to talk to someone whose kidney cancer has spread. I told her about this message board but she doesn't do the computer. Her husband died a year ago from colon cancer so she's by herself.

To top it off, she initially saw a surgeon who was incredibly cold. First he told her he didn't want to take out the kidney (tumor is the size of a baseball). When she said she wanted it out of her body, he replied but you might die on the table. (!!) She began crying and said she didn't want to die and he incredibly replied, Well, we all have to die sometime. Unbelievable. I told her she needs a new surgeon.

JoAnn lives in Kansas City. Is there one of you whose cancer has spread, and who would be willing to talk to her? She said she needs hope. I've told her about the many trials out there, but it's nothing like someone who has been through it.

If you PM me, she said I could give her phone # out. So hopefully, one of the 'regulars' on the board will respond to this post.

Thanks!
Linda

Comments

• growler9
    growler9 Member Posts: 48
    Help.
    Hi - Linda.

Nice of you to offer yourself to such a worthy cause. Thank you.

I am about 35 miles from K.C.. I had 2 open partials done in 2011. I also have class 4 heart failure. Because of the heart failure my urologist told me to take my cancer and go home as he fully expected me to die during the procedure. He figured it was better to live 2 years with cancer than to die in 2 weeks during surgery. I told him my only chance for survival was to get the crap out of me and that's what he was going to do. Obviously I'm not dead and am NED so far.

I also have 2 spots in my left lung and have X-Rays every 6 months. So far the spots aren't changing so I'm not really worried about them.
    60% of spots in the lung are not cancer.

Does your lady have some other chronic problem that would make the Dr. not want to operate? Does she know for certain that the lung spots are cancer?

If you haven't found someone to give her a call, send me her number. Alan
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    growler9 said:

Help.
    Hi - Linda.

I am about 35 miles from K.C.. I had 2 open partials done in 2011. I also have class 4 heart failure. Because of the heart failure my urologist told me to take my cancer and go home as he fully expected me to die during the procedure. He figured it was better to live 2 years with cancer than to die in 2 weeks during surgery. I told him my only chance for survival was to get the crap out of me and that's what he was going to do. Obviously I'm not dead and am NED so far.

I also have 2 spots in my left lung and have X-Rays every 6 months. So far the spots aren't changing so I'm not really worried about them.

Does your lady have some other chronic problem that would make the Dr. not want to operate? Does she know for certain that the lung spots are cancer?

Generosity
    These two messages could belong equally on Fox's Karma thread - so lovely to see - well done Linda and Alan - excellent work.
  • DogRescuer
    growler9 said:

Help.
    Hi - Linda.

Thank you!
    I just sent you a PM with her phone number. Bless you for doing this, Alan. I can sure remember when I was first diagnosed and knew no one in my situation. That's why you and the others are so helpful by posting on this message board. You'll never know how folks you've helped and who are breathing a sigh of relief after reading your words.

Linda
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Thank you!
    I just sent you a PM with her phone number. Bless you for doing this, Alan. I can sure remember when I was first diagnosed and knew no one in my situation. That's why you and the others are so helpful by posting on this message board. You'll never know how folks you've helped and who are breathing a sigh of relief after reading your words.

Linda

Yep, Karma
    Nice work! What goes around, comes around.
  • DogRescuer
    growler9 said:

Help.
    Hi - Linda.

Thanks!
    Thanks so much for calling Joann, Alan! I talked to her afterwards and you provided the information and relief she needed.

You rock!

Linda