Insufficiency fractures of the sacrum after radiation

Test111
Test111 Member Posts: 21
Has anyone had insufficiency fractures of the sacrum after pelvic radiation? If so, did these fractures ever heal or new ones develop?
«1

Comments

  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    Please explain what this is
    Please explain what this is and maybe we can respond. I have several bone issues, but not sure I;ve heard of this. Best, debrajo
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,619 Member
    debrajo said:

    Please explain what this is
    Please explain what this is and maybe we can respond. I have several bone issues, but not sure I;ve heard of this. Best, debrajo

    I googled this but didn't
    I googled this but didn't find what I read very helpful.
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51
    I suffered an insufficiency
    I suffered an insufficiency fracture of my right sacrum about 1 year post surgery = awoke to a mild discomfort and treated with alleve - pain worsened for a week = spoke to primary care and she prescribed a muscle relaxer = after another week saw an ortho = diagnosed sciatic and prescribed heavier meds = saw gyn/onc about 6 weeks from onset = convinced I was having a recurrence = after exam he said he doubted anything to do with cancer, and sent me for a CAT - result: suggestive of fracture and recommended a MRI = this confirmed sacrum fracture = I was healing by now = had horrific pain whenever I walked or changed position for 8 weeks - have not had any further fractures and believe that radiation post-surgery weakened the sacrum

    I still have pain in my right lower back after extended periods of walking or standing and it is now 6 years ago that I was diagnosed. Swimming has been a great relief as well as physical therapy. I have not followed through on stretching/bending exercises from PT -- my own stupidity -- PT did help and I am sure I would feel better if I continued the exercise routine. Have you been diagnosed with this condition?
  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    kellyw314 said:

    I suffered an insufficiency
    I suffered an insufficiency fracture of my right sacrum about 1 year post surgery = awoke to a mild discomfort and treated with alleve - pain worsened for a week = spoke to primary care and she prescribed a muscle relaxer = after another week saw an ortho = diagnosed sciatic and prescribed heavier meds = saw gyn/onc about 6 weeks from onset = convinced I was having a recurrence = after exam he said he doubted anything to do with cancer, and sent me for a CAT - result: suggestive of fracture and recommended a MRI = this confirmed sacrum fracture = I was healing by now = had horrific pain whenever I walked or changed position for 8 weeks - have not had any further fractures and believe that radiation post-surgery weakened the sacrum

    I still have pain in my right lower back after extended periods of walking or standing and it is now 6 years ago that I was diagnosed. Swimming has been a great relief as well as physical therapy. I have not followed through on stretching/bending exercises from PT -- my own stupidity -- PT did help and I am sure I would feel better if I continued the exercise routine. Have you been diagnosed with this condition?

    I have not...mine seems to
    I have not...mine seems to be from massive new bone growth or bone spurs. I am having a time with spinal spurs in my neck and very low in both sides of my hips. They seem to be punching into the siatic nerve in my hips and down one leg. I did the six rounds of chemo and five internal radiation, no external and I am not quite 2 1/2 years out of chemo. Hope you feel better soon! For me, this has been a real pain in the butt!! Best, debrajo
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,619 Member
    debrajo said:

    I have not...mine seems to
    I have not...mine seems to be from massive new bone growth or bone spurs. I am having a time with spinal spurs in my neck and very low in both sides of my hips. They seem to be punching into the siatic nerve in my hips and down one leg. I did the six rounds of chemo and five internal radiation, no external and I am not quite 2 1/2 years out of chemo. Hope you feel better soon! For me, this has been a real pain in the butt!! Best, debrajo

    Debrajo
    So is your problem related to ca treatment ?
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,619 Member
    debrajo said:

    I have not...mine seems to
    I have not...mine seems to be from massive new bone growth or bone spurs. I am having a time with spinal spurs in my neck and very low in both sides of my hips. They seem to be punching into the siatic nerve in my hips and down one leg. I did the six rounds of chemo and five internal radiation, no external and I am not quite 2 1/2 years out of chemo. Hope you feel better soon! For me, this has been a real pain in the butt!! Best, debrajo

    Debrajo
    So is your problem related to ca treatment ?
  • Test111
    Test111 Member Posts: 21
    kellyw314 said:

    I suffered an insufficiency
    I suffered an insufficiency fracture of my right sacrum about 1 year post surgery = awoke to a mild discomfort and treated with alleve - pain worsened for a week = spoke to primary care and she prescribed a muscle relaxer = after another week saw an ortho = diagnosed sciatic and prescribed heavier meds = saw gyn/onc about 6 weeks from onset = convinced I was having a recurrence = after exam he said he doubted anything to do with cancer, and sent me for a CAT - result: suggestive of fracture and recommended a MRI = this confirmed sacrum fracture = I was healing by now = had horrific pain whenever I walked or changed position for 8 weeks - have not had any further fractures and believe that radiation post-surgery weakened the sacrum

    I still have pain in my right lower back after extended periods of walking or standing and it is now 6 years ago that I was diagnosed. Swimming has been a great relief as well as physical therapy. I have not followed through on stretching/bending exercises from PT -- my own stupidity -- PT did help and I am sure I would feel better if I continued the exercise routine. Have you been diagnosed with this condition?

    Insufficiency Fracture
    Kelly, thanks for your response. Yes, have insufficiency fractures. I finished radiation end of April and chemo end of August. Using a walker, on pain meds and a sacral belt since early October. How long did it take for the fracture to heal? I cannot get a straight answer from any of the docs. Did you have chemo in addition to the radiation? Have you been tested for osteoporosis which may be a result of radiation?

    Good to hear that swimming helped.

    Again, thanks.
  • Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    Test111 said:

    Insufficiency Fracture
    Kelly, thanks for your response. Yes, have insufficiency fractures. I finished radiation end of April and chemo end of August. Using a walker, on pain meds and a sacral belt since early October. How long did it take for the fracture to heal? I cannot get a straight answer from any of the docs. Did you have chemo in addition to the radiation? Have you been tested for osteoporosis which may be a result of radiation?

    Good to hear that swimming helped.

    Again, thanks.

    Fractures
    Sorry been outta touch.
    Yes, last Pet showed 'stress fracture' contra lateral to pelvic side where I am now having third round of rad treatment. As if sword. Goes in on diagonal and comes out of back.
    Some pain but bearable.
    We're kinda in a War mode now (Israel) with sirens going off and about one and a half minutes to get to safety. All else seems minor, but going in to hospital 5x per wk for Rad Tx.
    Everything pales to pain of seeing our and your children in such dire straits. We can only pray that God has a plan and we'll all get out of this mess, each his or her own, in safety and in peace.

    Sara
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51
    Dear Test,
    My sacrum healed

    Dear Test,

    My sacrum healed within about 8 weeks, but it was most uncomfortable during that 8 week period = I found being in bed to be unbearable and had my greatest comfort when sitting in a recliner chair = actually slept in a recliner for several weeks even after healing as it was very tender to roll over in bed - once 8 weeks had passed I could move from a sitting position and walk without excruciating pain -- have had lingering back issues over 6 years as standing/walking for more than 30 minutes is uncomfortable == alleve does help
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51
    kellyw314 said:

    Dear Test,
    My sacrum healed

    Dear Test,

    My sacrum healed within about 8 weeks, but it was most uncomfortable during that 8 week period = I found being in bed to be unbearable and had my greatest comfort when sitting in a recliner chair = actually slept in a recliner for several weeks even after healing as it was very tender to roll over in bed - once 8 weeks had passed I could move from a sitting position and walk without excruciating pain -- have had lingering back issues over 6 years as standing/walking for more than 30 minutes is uncomfortable == alleve does help

    I had only 27 external
    I had only 27 external pelvic radiation treatments - no chemo - did have bone density test after this issue and it was fine
  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095
    ConnieSW said:

    Debrajo
    So is your problem related to ca treatment ?

    Connie, some people in my
    Connie, some people in my family do have a tendency to produce bone growth, but it seems mine has gone into over-drive! I assume the chemo had something to do with it or at least caused my body to over respond. I even have them in the long bone in my lower right leg to the point that they put me on hydrocodine for the worst of the pain. It also seems to have made what little arthritis I had a lot worse really quickly.All in all through,a small price to pay for being NED! Best, debrajo
  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095

    Fractures
    Sorry been outta touch.
    Yes, last Pet showed 'stress fracture' contra lateral to pelvic side where I am now having third round of rad treatment. As if sword. Goes in on diagonal and comes out of back.
    Some pain but bearable.
    We're kinda in a War mode now (Israel) with sirens going off and about one and a half minutes to get to safety. All else seems minor, but going in to hospital 5x per wk for Rad Tx.
    Everything pales to pain of seeing our and your children in such dire straits. We can only pray that God has a plan and we'll all get out of this mess, each his or her own, in safety and in peace.

    Sara

    Dear Sara, praying for your
    Dear Sara, praying for your health,recovery, and safety, and that of Israel. Best, debrajo
  • sunflash
    sunflash Member Posts: 197
    kellyw314 said:

    I had only 27 external
    I had only 27 external pelvic radiation treatments - no chemo - did have bone density test after this issue and it was fine

    Sara,
    Praying for you as

    Sara,
    Praying for you as well. Praying for peace and safety for you and your entire family. I can't even imagine having to deal with all of this stress and trauma while undergoing treatment. Praying for God's peace and guidance for Israel.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Test111 said:

    Insufficiency Fracture
    Kelly, thanks for your response. Yes, have insufficiency fractures. I finished radiation end of April and chemo end of August. Using a walker, on pain meds and a sacral belt since early October. How long did it take for the fracture to heal? I cannot get a straight answer from any of the docs. Did you have chemo in addition to the radiation? Have you been tested for osteoporosis which may be a result of radiation?

    Good to hear that swimming helped.

    Again, thanks.

    Test111
    I didn't have insufficiency fractures in sacrum area, but did have chemo and external radiation to the pelvic area. I completed my treatments July '09 and by Dec '09 I was having lower back pain. Did speak with my oncologist who told me NOT CANCER, YOU'RE JUST GETTING OLD. Thanks doc!

    Finally this year had an MRI done, which showed "bulging disk, in lowest part of back. Today doing fine as had chiropractic treatments.

    What I can tell you, chemo and especially radiation to the spine simply dries up the joints and ligaments. If I ask my radiologist and chemo doc, neither will admit this, but lots of research showing otherwise and I'm proof with back issues....never had them before treatments. Lastly my DEXA showed "normal" last year, whereas 2 years prior showed thinning of the lower back or tip of hip area. As well no osteoporosis.

    What helps -- weight bearing exercises such as walking, weights, running, etc. Suggest a consult with a qualified doctor prior to start of any of these movements, especially running, as very jolting to the body.

    Best to you my friend,
    Jan
  • Test111
    Test111 Member Posts: 21
    kellyw314 said:

    Dear Test,
    My sacrum healed

    Dear Test,

    My sacrum healed within about 8 weeks, but it was most uncomfortable during that 8 week period = I found being in bed to be unbearable and had my greatest comfort when sitting in a recliner chair = actually slept in a recliner for several weeks even after healing as it was very tender to roll over in bed - once 8 weeks had passed I could move from a sitting position and walk without excruciating pain -- have had lingering back issues over 6 years as standing/walking for more than 30 minutes is uncomfortable == alleve does help

    Fracture healing
    Thank you for responding. Are you able to drive, grocery shop, and do errands, etc. If so, how long from time of fracture until you were able to do so. It has been 3 months and I am still on narcotics for the pain and unable to do much except sit in a recliner and go to doc appointments. It is very painful to sit so I cannot drive. Still using a walker.
  • Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    fractured pelvic bones
    I rarely post but thought this would be a good subject for me to comment on. I was diagnosed with stage 2A, grade 3 endometrial uterine cancer Dec 2008.I had 3 chemos, 25 radiations, 1 36 hr internal radiation, then 2 more chemos,My treatments ended June 2009.
    One month after treatments ended my back started hurting really bad and I could hardly walk upstairs. I had to lift my legs up with my hands to get clothing on or to even get in a car., by Sept. of 2009 the pain was worse and I could barely walk. My doctor gave me Hydro codene and ibuprophen 800 . I took them together and they eased the pain. Slowly but surely after about a year I was almost back to normal. When I get tired my back burns really bad, my stomach stays swollen and always feels uncomfortable. I had a pet scan in 2010... the doctor asked me if I had fractured my pelvic bones in a car accident.. I've never been in any accident.The only thing that could have caused my fractured pelvic bones was chemo and or radiation. Hope this info helps someone...Teresa
  • Test111
    Test111 Member Posts: 21
    kellyw314 said:

    I had only 27 external
    I had only 27 external pelvic radiation treatments - no chemo - did have bone density test after this issue and it was fine

    Fractures
    Kelly,

    Thanks for your response. Please see my post questions on 12/19/12. Would appreciate your comments/experiences in response to my additional questions. Thanks.
  • Test111
    Test111 Member Posts: 21
    Teresa 61 said:

    fractured pelvic bones
    I rarely post but thought this would be a good subject for me to comment on. I was diagnosed with stage 2A, grade 3 endometrial uterine cancer Dec 2008.I had 3 chemos, 25 radiations, 1 36 hr internal radiation, then 2 more chemos,My treatments ended June 2009.
    One month after treatments ended my back started hurting really bad and I could hardly walk upstairs. I had to lift my legs up with my hands to get clothing on or to even get in a car., by Sept. of 2009 the pain was worse and I could barely walk. My doctor gave me Hydro codene and ibuprophen 800 . I took them together and they eased the pain. Slowly but surely after about a year I was almost back to normal. When I get tired my back burns really bad, my stomach stays swollen and always feels uncomfortable. I had a pet scan in 2010... the doctor asked me if I had fractured my pelvic bones in a car accident.. I've never been in any accident.The only thing that could have caused my fractured pelvic bones was chemo and or radiation. Hope this info helps someone...Teresa

    Fractures
    Teresa,

    What did the pet scan indicate..why did the doc ask if you fractured your pelvic bones? Fractures are usually confirmed with an MRI? Are you able to drive and do shopping now? Thanks for your response.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Test111 said:

    Fractures
    Teresa,

    What did the pet scan indicate..why did the doc ask if you fractured your pelvic bones? Fractures are usually confirmed with an MRI? Are you able to drive and do shopping now? Thanks for your response.

    Bones
    What I've learned thru a few docs and research, the treatments such as chemo/radiation deplete our bones of calcium. This can cause breaks and fractures very easily. One thing I've beefed up, working out or more weight-bearing exercise. Movement helps keep our bones strong, less susceptible to breakage.

    One thing you might want to add to your diet, vit D....had it checked lately? Helps build bones and good cancer preventative.

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080714162515.htm

    Best to you,
    Jan
  • Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    Test111 said:

    Fractures
    Teresa,

    What did the pet scan indicate..why did the doc ask if you fractured your pelvic bones? Fractures are usually confirmed with an MRI? Are you able to drive and do shopping now? Thanks for your response.

    scan
    pretty sure it was a ct pet scan, my obgyn ordered the scan as part of my post cancer check up in 2010 and noticed the fracures to my pelvic bones.I know how bad you are feeling but there is hope. Took along time, but I'am pretty much back to normal and do all my own shopping and housekeeping,plus I have a 38 year old daughter , she's in my picture, that Is totally handicapped from a brain injury and I'am her care giver. In the begining I took 1 hydrocodene and 1 ibuprophen800 as soon as I woke up and had to wait for it to work on me before I could move. After a few months I just took the ibuprophen800. I no longer take either medication. Teresa