Chemo portable pump

80_80
80_80 Member Posts: 16
I am about to start chemo treatment and I have read about a portable chemo pump that administers chemo over a few days . My doctor says it is available and it tends to minimize adverse side effects. Has anyone used this device and do you recommend it.

Comments

• have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    Is the drug 5-fu (flouracil)?
    My mom has gotten the drug. It was very doable for her, but just annoying because you're hooked to a pump that makes some noise.
  • 80_80
    80_80 Member Posts: 16

Is the drug 5-fu (flouracil)?
    My mom has gotten the drug. It was very doable for her, but just annoying because you're hooked to a pump that makes some noise.

Thanks for the response. Yes
    Thanks for the response. Yes the drug is 5 FU (appropriately named). I have learned more about it since my post. The pump is a balloon device which administers the chemo over a 5 day period. It is believed the gradual administration will lesson some of the chemo side effects. I hope that is true. I wish your mom positive results from her treatment.
  • GaryOlson
    GaryOlson Member Posts: 17
    80_80 said:

Thanks for the response. Yes
    Thanks for the response. Yes the drug is 5 FU (appropriately named). I have learned more about it since my post. The pump is a balloon device which administers the chemo over a 5 day period. It is believed the gradual administration will lesson some of the chemo side effects. I hope that is true. I wish your mom positive results from her treatment.

Chemo Pump
    I used the chemo pump to adminster 5 FU. It was mostly annoying when showering, but overall wasn't that bad. My chemo symptoms were mild, which may have been due to the pump. I would recommend it.