Dizzy Blonde, tumor markers and that darn ol onc doc

bluwillo
bluwillo Member Posts: 113
Hope all are having a tolerable weekend. I have a quick confession and question.

About 10 days ago, I fell. I "tipped over" as I used to tell my MIL before she died (alzheimers). Problem: I told hubby, ER personnel, and work folks that I tripped on the cord to the iron. Really, I just got a dizzy spell and didn't have anything stable to grab for. Now, how would I know to look for a stable grab? Cos it's happened before! I just get dizzy. Never fell before. Ended up breaking rib # 8 (take my advice-get a root canal instead!). So, I've been having these dizzy bits for a while now...never mentioned them to anyone.

My twice yearly onc doc apt. is Monday. Yes, I am going to tell him the truth. My questions? If he just poo-poos me, is it ok to go postal on him? To tell him I feel like crap most days, take naps on my lunch hours cos I'm so tired, and still, 2 years out from mast, chem and rads don't feel like I'm getting back to speed. I know, aging has a certain part to play, but geez, I'm only 56! I feel worse than my 87 yr. old mother. so, can I let it rip?

2nd question: all my onc doc does, twice a year, is take blood, look at the tumor markers, and poke a few places. A couple of those places have been tender before, one now actually hurts, and I'm going to tell him that. I think I'm just worn out from being the tough girl.

(Oh, and please don't tell my hubby about the not really tripping thing. This is the first time in over 37 years of marriage that I've actually hollered for help...I'm pretty independent. I knew before I got up that I had broken a rib (did the deep breathing tests..Epic FAIL on intake and outflow!)

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    On quesions
    number one. Yes tell the doc. There could me other things going on not related to the cancer too you know. (Like low blood pressure). Let him know. If he poo poos you so be it. It is your health not his.

Number two. Yes tell him about the previous tenderness and now the hurt. He may already have known about the tenderness but said nothing. I think many have had some level of tenderness after surgury especially if we have had some more than one incision or have had a seroma (fluid in our breast that must be removed). However there could be other issues involved from the tenderness such as lymphedema. At times women get lymphedema even in thier breast. So be truthful with him about this as he might not know that there is a chance of lymhedema in breast tissue if it is in it's early stages and if you have no lymph fluid showing up in other areas of your body yet.

Actually it is kind of nice that he only has to check tumor markers and poke around a bit. It is kind of nice that he doesn't have to figure out what kind of chemo to give you. Hope he takes the news serously and doesn't treat you like you are a hypochondriac or something.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

On quesions
    number one. Yes tell the doc. There could me other things going on not related to the cancer too you know. (Like low blood pressure). Let him know. If he poo poos you so be it. It is your health not his.

Number two. Yes tell him about the previous tenderness and now the hurt. He may already have known about the tenderness but said nothing. I think many have had some level of tenderness after surgury especially if we have had some more than one incision or have had a seroma (fluid in our breast that must be removed). However there could be other issues involved from the tenderness such as lymphedema. At times women get lymphedema even in thier breast. So be truthful with him about this as he might not know that there is a chance of lymhedema in breast tissue if it is in it's early stages and if you have no lymph fluid showing up in other areas of your body yet.

Actually it is kind of nice that he only has to check tumor markers and poke around a bit. It is kind of nice that he doesn't have to figure out what kind of chemo to give you. Hope he takes the news serously and doesn't treat you like you are a hypochondriac or something.

Yes to everything! Please
    Yes to everything! Please tell your doctor! Wishing you well on Monday. Post an update.

Hugs, Diane
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    DianeBC said:

Yes to everything! Please
    Yes to everything! Please tell your doctor! Wishing you well on Monday. Post an update.

Hugs, Diane

Yes, do tell Oncologist about
    tenderness.. and Yikes, to the dizzy blonde moments.

I would mention to Onco .. dizzy spells, perhaps you may have an inner ear
    infection, or something that can be resolved with medication.

Post when you can. Keeping my fingers crossed, all is well.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    I agree with what's been
    I agree with what's been said. It's important you tell onc everything because of the many things it could be. Best of luck to you and please update us. BTW, I wouldn't tell hubby either:-) (snicker snicker, that's naughty)
    Miles of Love
    ~Kari
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Definitely tell your doctor what's going on.
    Sometimes they need to hear you say something's not right before they can order scans to further investigate. I would not waste any time telling my doctor if I was having dizzy spells. I hope everything turns out okay for you but please tell your doctor and be careful until you know what is causing them.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. Although, personally, I would save "going postal". I would try to explain calmly first, then 'go postal' only if I need it to get my message across. But that's my approach, you know your doc how he's likely to respond better than I do. And yes, there are things I don't tell my hubby...he already worries and stresses about stuff. There are some little things I just don't need to add to his plate.

I also think you should be prepared for your onc to order some additional tests, once he understands how you are feeling. Based on what you describe, my onc would likely order a bone scan, CT scan, maybe an MRI.

Do you do an annual physical with your primary care doc? That might also be a route to consider...especially for the non-cancer explanations, like low BP.

Please let us know how the onc appointment goes.

Hugs,

Linda
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. Although, personally, I would save "going postal". I would try to explain calmly first, then 'go postal' only if I need it to get my message across. But that's my approach, you know your doc how he's likely to respond better than I do. And yes, there are things I don't tell my hubby...he already worries and stresses about stuff. There are some little things I just don't need to add to his plate.

I also think you should be prepared for your onc to order some additional tests, once he understands how you are feeling. Based on what you describe, my onc would likely order a bone scan, CT scan, maybe an MRI.

Do you do an annual physical with your primary care doc? That might also be a route to consider...especially for the non-cancer explanations, like low BP.

Please let us know how the onc appointment goes.

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks all
    Thanks for all your support. It means a lot.

Saw onc doc today, he was pretty concerned about my major fatigue. He said we could do a bunch of tests, but let's start small. I like that idea, as I don't want to miss anymore time at work (they can get pretty frosty when they realize all I do around there). So, he decided to take me off Tamoxofin for a month and see how I'm feeling. If that seems to help, we'll try another drug (probably the dreaded A one that makes bones ache). About the dizziness, he had not much to say.

In all honesty, today is the first time I've ever let him see the "down" me. I used to wear red cowboy boots to chemo, to kick cancer's azz. I was always up. I think my "up" button got worn out, LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know that I was honest with him, he gets it, and I didn't have to go postal! That's always good, since I work with law enforcement, and it would be very awkward to have to be the defendant, instead of taking care of the plaintiff! Thanks for listening, you pinks ROCK!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    bluwillo said:

Thanks all

Saw onc doc today, he was pretty concerned about my major fatigue. He said we could do a bunch of tests, but let's start small. I like that idea, as I don't want to miss anymore time at work (they can get pretty frosty when they realize all I do around there). So, he decided to take me off Tamoxofin for a month and see how I'm feeling. If that seems to help, we'll try another drug (probably the dreaded A one that makes bones ache). About the dizziness, he had not much to say.

In all honesty, today is the first time I've ever let him see the "down" me. I used to wear red cowboy boots to chemo, to kick cancer's azz. I was always up. I think my "up" button got worn out, LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know that I was honest with him, he gets it, and I didn't have to go postal! That's always good, since I work with law enforcement, and it would be very awkward to have to be the defendant, instead of taking care of the plaintiff! Thanks for listening, you pinks ROCK!

Dear Dizzy Blonde-
    Just what is going on with you, tipping over and all? And the fatigue? I'm almost 10 years older than you (shhhhh) and once I got my mojo back (about 2 months after chemo), I've been good to go. I don't have the stamina I did at 56, but I'm 65!

I didn't realize Tamoxifen caused fatigue, but I hope whatever is causing it, it's an easy "fix". Try not to worry about the aromatase inhibitors, I'm one of the lucky ones with no side effects. I've recently been experiencing some joint pain, but I think that's because of weight gain since it's in my hips, knees, ankles - plus it is relieved with anti inflammatories. Old age? Never!

So - let's get to the bottom of what's up with that and I'm proud of you for being honest with your oncologist. I understand withholding the full story from your family. Sometimes it's just best not to tell them everything we worry about because it either scares them or they think you're being paranoid. Starting small is a good start, but don't allow yourself too much down time if the small stuff doesn't work.

Hugs,
    Suzanne
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Yes tell your Dr every
    Yes tell your Dr every thing. You need to know what is going on. I know some times fear stops us from asking but you really need to know. And if need be get assertive. I'm keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.Let us know how it goes. Take care Kay,
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    bluwillo said:

Thanks all

Hoping that your month off
    Hoping that your month off from tamox will help you to feel better. I am so glad you really talked to your doctor! Just keep doing it as he needs to know how you are feeling!

You rock too!