Reflection

MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
I sit here and reflect upon this time last year when I learned I had breast cancer.

Hearing the word cancer .... what an awful, scary, horrible word to hear! I remember feeling this lump while in bed. Everyone in the house was asleep. Except for me. My daughter and son in law had just flown in from Israel to spend a few months with me and my husband. I laid there in bed frozen with fear. I couldn't wake up my husband. I was alone ... alone with fear and this lump. Waiting til morning was the most difficult thing I had to do. Somehow, I managed to get a few hours of sleep. It was blissful. When I awoke, I thought it is was a dream. But when I brushed my hand across my chest, the lump was right there. As real as I am.

I tried hard not to look too upset as I looked at my husband walking towards me. He knew something was wrong right away. I choked back tears as I grabbed his and placed it on my chest. He didn't know what I was doing. I moved his hand gently over the lump and he just stared at me. He didn't know what to say. SO I said "Can you feel the lump?" He nodded. I cried. He wanted to be reassuring and tells me to call the doctor and not make any rash opinions before seeing him.

By now, my daughter is up. She sees my red eyes and asks what's wrong? I couldn't speak. Pete (my husband) tells her about the lump. She grabs me and we both crumble to the floor , embracing one another ... crying. No words. Just tears.

That's how my first day of cancer was. So much has changed since then. I did the surgeries, radiation and started Arimidex in March. I am dancing with NED. My youngest daughter graduated from college in May, my husband is planning his retirement for April 2013 and I just got to celebrate another birthday.

I've shared happiness and joy along with the sadness on this board. I've learned how gracious, strong, persevering and giving each one of you are. You have brought me through the most difficult period of my life (thus far). I honestly do not know how I could have gone through this without you all.

From the bottom of heart ...

I love you all and pray that all of us can help pave the way to a cure for this dreaded disease. It will be our legacy. (Not meaning to sound like death is knocking on our door right now) I know I pray that my daughters will not have to experience this. But if it happens, I certainly hope that they won't have to go through the heartache and pain that each of us has endured.

Please smile for me. I am smiling as I write this. Brighter days are ahead. I can feel it!!!

xoxo
Mary

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Oh, Mary, So Eloquently Put
    We all remember "the day". It's amazing to think what we've been through, how strong we've been and the things we did that we never thought we could ever do.

And here we are--months, years later--still hanging in and fighting the good fight.

I love the phrase from "Winnie the Pooh" --"You are smarter than you think, stronger than you seem and braver than you believe." That's all of us here.

Thanks for sharing, Mary

Hugs, Renee
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    missrenee said:

Oh, Mary, So Eloquently Put
    We all remember "the day". It's amazing to think what we've been through, how strong we've been and the things we did that we never thought we could ever do.

And here we are--months, years later--still hanging in and fighting the good fight.

I love the phrase from "Winnie the Pooh" --"You are smarter than you think, stronger than you seem and braver than you believe." That's all of us here.

Thanks for sharing, Mary

Hugs, Renee

Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your experience. you wrote so eloquently, I could visualize it. I believe that better days are indeed ahead!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    carkris said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. you wrote so eloquently, I could visualize it. I believe that better days are indeed ahead!

My eye filled with tears!
    Your feelings at discovering you had bc are universal. So glad the outcome has been so promising. Blessing!

Roseann
  • AnnieTherese
    AnnieTherese Member Posts: 67
    roseann4 said:

My eye filled with tears!
    Your feelings at discovering you had bc are universal. So glad the outcome has been so promising. Blessing!

Roseann

Pulled muscle...
    Oh Mary, how terrible it was for you, what a long, long night of fear, thank God you were surrounded by your beloved family in the morning.

On Dec.23rd it will be 2 yrs since my diagnosis. But I'd had a fall and broken a rib and thought I'd also pulled a muscle...that's what I thought the lump was...a pulled muscle. So I didn't really take mine too seriously, till I saw the doctor about a week later about the pain in my rib, and just as a side thought mentioned the ... muscle !! He immediately told me it wasn't a muscle...could be benign, but should get it checked out properly...IMMEDIATELY. Of course he really knew what it was, but couldn't tell me till I'd had proper tests. I think I was numb when I first found out...then the next few weeks were a blur of appointments and the mastectomy. But it is amazing how time passes, I can hardly believe it's been so long since it happened. I'm looking forward to Christmas to celebrate 2 yrs. Keep healthy and be gentle with yourself.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Thanks for sharing..
    Denise

Thanks for sharing..

Denise
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

I am smiling Mary! I also
    I am smiling Mary! I also pray for a cure daily.

Hugs, Angie
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377

Thanks for sharing..
    Denise

Thanks for sharing..

Denise

Yes, thanks for sharing your story. Such a paralyzing fear that only someone with cancer can ever fully understand. And maybe that's the hardest part of all. But we get it here, we really do! =)

This smile's for you!!! Watch out, I hear they're contagious! =)

//edit// [Tried to post an ASCII smile - didn't work out]

(((Hugs)))
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Beautiful, just beautiful.

Terry