Breast reconstruction...

Just wondering how many of you have had breast reconstruction and what sort and what was the experience like for you. If you've had it done, are you pleased or not ??

For the first year after my mastectomy I wasn't going to have it, but last March I heard of an 80 yr old lady who had one when she was in her 70s and she was very pleased with the result.

In April I saw my surgeon and decided on a silicone implant. I had the inflator inserted in June. I was told it was a simple operation, I'd be in hospital about 3 days and I'd just feel pressure, no real pain. Well....I was in AGONY for 2 days of my stay in hospital, it was pure hell. Not was I or the surgeon expected at all. Such pain was very rare my surgeon told me. A month later I went to have the first lot of saline inserted and the surgeon couldn't find the port, she tried two different size needles. The second one she tried was long and actually hurt. So she stopped and said it couldn't be done...then asked what I wanted to do. I was totally devastated....but not wanting to quit too soon, decided to go back and try once more. If it didn't work the second time I was going to have the inflator removed and just go back to the way I was. The second time it worked...different doctor did it. I now have 100 mil and next Monday go for the second infusion and they're going to try and put in 150 mil. They expect to put in at least 600 mil or possibly 700 mil to finish the job hopefully by Christmas.

That's my story so far....tell me what's happened to you ...

Cheers, Annie

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Hi Annie! I had a
    Hi Annie! I had a lumpectomy, so, can't comment on reconstruction. I just wanted to get your post up where the pink sisters that have, can see it and post to you.

Sorry for all that you went through, but, I am sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Hugs, Lex
  • AnnieTherese
    AnnieTherese Member Posts: 67
    Alexis F said:

Hi Annie! I had a
    Hi Annie! I had a lumpectomy, so, can't comment on reconstruction. I just wanted to get your post up where the pink sisters that have, can see it and post to you.

Sorry for all that you went through, but, I am sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Hugs, Lex

Thanks Alexis. :-) Yeah,
    Thanks Alexis. :-) Yeah, they said what happened to me as far as the discomfort inserting the expander was pretty rare...but hey, just my luck. I get the next infusion Monday and am starting to feel a bit nervous about it....just hope it goes well without any problems this time. Have to have about 4 of them done. :-)
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670

Thanks Alexis. :-) Yeah, they said what happened to me as far as the discomfort inserting the expander was pretty rare...but hey, just my luck. I get the next infusion Monday and am starting to feel a bit nervous about it....just hope it goes well without any problems this time. Have to have about 4 of them done. :-)

No recon here
    Annie, I just wanted to say that I lost both breasts (one in '86 and one in '88).
    I chose not to have recon and have been 'breastless' ever since.
    I am now 64 years old, with a man who loves me dearly and am living almost as if I had never had cancer.
    The point of all this is that, if the recon doesn't work out for you, PLEASE do not assume that the rest of your life will be somehow 'less' than you deserve. Life can be GOOD in many circumstances that we would never choose willingly for ourselves.
    Best of luck and God bless.
  • AnnieTherese
    zahalene said:

No recon here
    Annie, I just wanted to say that I lost both breasts (one in '86 and one in '88).
    I chose not to have recon and have been 'breastless' ever since.
    I am now 64 years old, with a man who loves me dearly and am living almost as if I had never had cancer.
    The point of all this is that, if the recon doesn't work out for you, PLEASE do not assume that the rest of your life will be somehow 'less' than you deserve. Life can be GOOD in many circumstances that we would never choose willingly for ourselves.
    Best of luck and God bless.

Thanks Zahalene for your
    Thanks Zahalene for your kind comments. I already often forget that I've had BC. And at first didn't want a reconstruction, I only first really thought about it seriously in March. I'm taking it one step at a time, I'm really keen to see it through now, but if during the process something goes wrong, then I'll just go back to the way I was and be ok with that, but I want to give this a good chance first. My breasts don't define me as a woman, but they are part of me. I've met other women who have had doubles and haven't had reconstructions and aren't interested either. :-)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks Zahalene for your
    Thanks Zahalene for your kind comments. I already often forget that I've had BC. And at first didn't want a reconstruction, I only first really thought about it seriously in March. I'm taking it one step at a time, I'm really keen to see it through now, but if during the process something goes wrong, then I'll just go back to the way I was and be ok with that, but I want to give this a good chance first. My breasts don't define me as a woman, but they are part of me. I've met other women who have had doubles and haven't had reconstructions and aren't interested either. :-)

Just my experience
    A little late .. but I am going to add my 2 cents ...
    TE (tissue expanders) inserted at the time of my bilateral mastectomy. 3 weeks later, I had my first fill of 120cc per breast. There is a pinch when the needle enters each breast -- and later there is a tightness due to the increase of fluids.

Ibuprofen taken 1 hour before fill helps, as well as frozen peas (lighter than an ice pack) placed on each breast to help with the inflammation due to fill.

Ask Plastic Surgeon staff what they recommend.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

======
  • AnnieTherese
    VickiSam said:

Just my experience
    A little late .. but I am going to add my 2 cents ...
    TE (tissue expanders) inserted at the time of my bilateral mastectomy. 3 weeks later, I had my first fill of 120cc per breast. There is a pinch when the needle enters each breast -- and later there is a tightness due to the increase of fluids.

Ibuprofen taken 1 hour before fill helps, as well as frozen peas (lighter than an ice pack) placed on each breast to help with the inflammation due to fill.

Ask Plastic Surgeon staff what they recommend.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

======

What a wonderfully simple
    What a wonderfully simple idea... :-) Tomorrow (Monday 20th) I go for what I hope will be my second successful infusion, 150mil they suggested last time. I had 100mil put in the first time. Last time I felt nothing and in the 2 weeks since it was done, I haven't had any discomfort at all, so so far, so good !! As you probably read, the first attempt with mine was a total disaster....anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow. I must admit I'm a little nervous, just hoping it will go ok.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member

What a wonderfully simple
    What a wonderfully simple idea... :-) Tomorrow (Monday 20th) I go for what I hope will be my second successful infusion, 150mil they suggested last time. I had 100mil put in the first time. Last time I felt nothing and in the 2 weeks since it was done, I haven't had any discomfort at all, so so far, so good !! As you probably read, the first attempt with mine was a total disaster....anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow. I must admit I'm a little nervous, just hoping it will go ok.

Good luck
    to you with this. I had a lumpectomy so I have no experience with this. I did however get a prostesis a month or so ago that I might use if I go swimming. Looking normal in a bathing suit would be nice, otherwise I can disguise the size difference well.
  • AnnieTherese

Good luck
    to you with this. I had a lumpectomy so I have no experience with this. I did however get a prostesis a month or so ago that I might use if I go swimming. Looking normal in a bathing suit would be nice, otherwise I can disguise the size difference well.

It's strange I've lived 5
    It's strange I've lived 5 minutes from the ocean for more than 20 years and I think I've been swimming about 5 times, if that. Just before I was diagnosed I bought a nice pair of bathers (swim suit) and rather than buying a new pair after the mastectomy, I cut a piece of foam out to fit where the right breast would have gone. I still haven't been to the beach...and this year, I'm likely to have the breast reconstructed, so I'll have to take the foam out anyway. :-) And I probably still won't go to the beach. :-)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I can understand your being
    I can understand your being nervous about Monday. Praying it goes well for you. Let us know, ok?

Hugs, Lex
  • AnnieTherese
    Alexis F said:

I can understand your being
    I can understand your being nervous about Monday. Praying it goes well for you. Let us know, ok?

Hugs, Lex

Thanks Alexis (( hugs ))
    Thanks Alexis (( hugs )) :-)
  • AnnieTherese

Thanks Alexis (( hugs ))
    Thanks Alexis (( hugs )) :-)

Second infusion today (Monday 20th)
    Hi Girls,

Well, I've had my 2nd saline infusion today...now got 200 mil (200cc) of saline and I've even got a "mini cleavage" already. :-) Which I think looks really cute. :-) Was quite anxious, but it all went very well, felt a little pressure but that's all. Go back on Sept. 3rd for the next one. I'll need at least 600ml, maybe 700, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to have the final implant put in before Christmas....fingers crossed. !! :-)