is chemo causing me double hearing on right ear?

jr2012
jr2012 Member Posts: 67
edited August 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I started to hear double from this morning - anytime someone speaks louder than normal, I hear a different frequency sound. I am on xeloda and radiation for the last 3 weeks and wondering if this is a side effect ... I am an editor and work with sound, so this is definitely a new challenge ... tried to clean with a cotton swab but no effect. Anyone else had this?

Thanks for all your help
Trisha!

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Trisha -

One of the known side effects of Xeloda is "hearing problems",
    and noted in numerous websites dealing with the chemicals
    used for therapy.

EMC Medical Guide

Gemcitabine and capecitabine (GemCap) chemotherapy

Could Xeloda cause Sudden hearing loss?

Xeloda can also raise the side effects of other medications that
    one may be taking.

I would report any and all side effects or changes in health to
    the one prescribing the medication(s). The physician may be able
    to make needed corrections to avoid any increased discomfort.

Better health to you!

John
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    John23 said:

Trisha -

One of the known side effects of Xeloda is "hearing problems",
    and noted in numerous websites dealing with the chemicals
    used for therapy.

EMC Medical Guide

Gemcitabine and capecitabine (GemCap) chemotherapy

Could Xeloda cause Sudden hearing loss?

Xeloda can also raise the side effects of other medications that
    one may be taking.

I would report any and all side effects or changes in health to
    the one prescribing the medication(s). The physician may be able
    to make needed corrections to avoid any increased discomfort.

Better health to you!

John

Yes ! I'm on Xeloda and listen my self every time I speak!
    Hope it helps.
  • jr2012
    pepebcn said:

Yes ! I'm on Xeloda and listen my self every time I speak!
    Hope it helps.

Thanks John. I have meeting
    Thanks John. I have meeting with my rad onc tmrw so I will inform him about this. And also mention this to my med onc to see what to do about it
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    jr2012 said:

Thanks John. I have meeting
    Thanks John. I have meeting with my rad onc tmrw so I will inform him about this. And also mention this to my med onc to see what to do about it

I have this constant
    I have this constant annoying ringing in my ears.
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    smokeyjoe said:

I have this constant
    I have this constant annoying ringing in my ears.

tinnitus
    I've had constant ringing in my ears for several years but I've noticed that it gets a lot worse after chemo. Sometimes so loud that it's hard to hear a conversation or listen to TV, music etc. When it's at its worst I feel like it's going to drive me nuts.
  • jr2012
    Doc_Hawk said:

tinnitus
    I've had constant ringing in my ears for several years but I've noticed that it gets a lot worse after chemo. Sometimes so loud that it's hard to hear a conversation or listen to TV, music etc. When it's at its worst I feel like it's going to drive me nuts.

I asked my uncle who is an
    I asked my uncle who is an onc about this being a side effect of xeloda and he said what I am experiencing is certainly not - and according to him, it maybe water thats stored in the back of my ear - I have to get it checked by my own onc tomorrow - Once I find out, I will update here - hope it helps all of us
  • jr2012
    jr2012 said:

I asked my uncle who is an
    I asked my uncle who is an onc about this being a side effect of xeloda and he said what I am experiencing is certainly not - and according to him, it maybe water thats stored in the back of my ear - I have to get it checked by my own onc tomorrow - Once I find out, I will update here - hope it helps all of us

I let my ear dry all day and
    I let my ear dry all day and didnt listen to music or watched tv - didnt put pressure on my ear and when i woke up today the sound was gone
    My onc checked my ear today and said there was no infection nor water
    but did confirm that its not a chemo effect and to get the eardrum checked if it happens.

Prayers for all of us fighting every little thing - we rock!
  • joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    jr2012 said:

I let my ear dry all day and didnt listen to music or watched tv - didnt put pressure on my ear and when i woke up today the sound was gone
    but did confirm that its not a chemo effect and to get the eardrum checked if it happens.

thank you
    thank you for sharing.

i have been through 24 weeks of FolFox, Erbitux, Leucavorin & 5FU... and beginning Sept 10th I am going to begin Xeloda + Avastin for "maintenance chemo".

i was concerned about your hearing issue and have been reading from the sidelines... so happy to hear the good news (all puns intended).

whenever i swim a bunch, i have to use Swimmers Ear drops to prevent swimmers ear. It dries out the water in my ears... and i have some hearing issues from having swimmers ear so many times... so i was a bit worried as i followed your post.

thanks again for sharing and i wish you the best in your continued treatments.

YOU Rock!!!

thanks

JoeMetz
  • Doc_Hawk
    joemetz said:

thank you
    thank you for sharing.

i have been through 24 weeks of FolFox, Erbitux, Leucavorin & 5FU... and beginning Sept 10th I am going to begin Xeloda + Avastin for "maintenance chemo".

i was concerned about your hearing issue and have been reading from the sidelines... so happy to hear the good news (all puns intended).

whenever i swim a bunch, i have to use Swimmers Ear drops to prevent swimmers ear. It dries out the water in my ears... and i have some hearing issues from having swimmers ear so many times... so i was a bit worried as i followed your post.

thanks again for sharing and i wish you the best in your continued treatments.

YOU Rock!!!

thanks

JoeMetz

Swimmers ear
    Hey Joe,

I enjoy SCUBA diving and the thing I've found best to get water out of the ear is a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol. It stings a little bit, but as soon as you tilt your head down, all the water comes out and the alcohol dries right up. Best of all is that you can get a bottle of it for a buck instead of price for a "brand name" product.

Doc
  • Doc_Hawk
    jr2012 said:

Thanks
    Thanks for doing the leg work, jr. I'm sure after reading your posts that my tinnitus gets worse because of the fatigue after treatment and not a result of the drugs.

Doc