Just diagnosed

Last week I felt a lump and since then I have been to my gyno, sent for my first mammo and ultrasound. Got my biopsy on the same day, pathology results the next day and got my breast MRI done tonight. I was diagnosed with IDC with a positive result in my lymph node. I am 43 any advice? What questions should I ask my Dr on the 23rd when he goes over all my films?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Welcome to this site. this
    Welcome to this site. this is an active caring group with lots of info. I am sure many people will respond.
    First of all your doctor will, discuss your pathology, your surgical options and treatment you will need. If you see a surgeon, you will be referred to an oncologist. A surgeon does not prescribe chemotherapy. Iam sorry you are here but we will support you and answer your questions. Better days are coming. Hugs
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Sorry you need to ask
    us these questions. I am glad you found this group! So much support and love here. You have a lot to absorb right now. Just accepting that big C word is part of your life is a huge emotional drain. Please try not read any statistics on the internet while you wait to see your doctor. Much of what is out there is old and so much does not apply to most people. Everyone of us here has cancer had cancer or knows someone who has or had cancer. Every one of us has a different story or side effect or outcome etc..Cancer and the treatment of cancer affects each person differently because we are all unique. But we are all the same in our fears and concerns. If you throw a question out to these ladies, you will be assured almost immediately by someone who has or is experiencing what you are.
    Again, I am sorry that you have to go through this and please know that I am saying prayers and sending positive thoughts your way.
    {{{Hugs}}}
    Sandy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry you had to find
    sorry you had to find us...but great place to be IF IN NEED of advice or venting..

Denise
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

sorry you had to find
    sorry you had to find us...but great place to be IF IN NEED of advice or venting..

Denise

Oh, Darleen--sorry you're here,
    but this is definitely the place to be in your situation. Your mind is probably going a million miles a minute now. One of the best things I did when I saw the doctors initially was to take another pair (or two) of ears. It's amazing how much you miss with the emotions flying high. Also, I wrote down questions and brought them in--such as: what are my treatment options regarding surgery--lumpectomy, mastectomy, chemo, radiation. Once the doctors get the pathology report (regarding if the tumor is ER, PR + or - or HER2 negative), they will more clearly be able to determine treatment choices. How long will these take, what outcomes can I expect. It is so important to build a team of doctors (surgeon, oncologist) who you can talk to, feel free to ask questions of and have the utmost confidence in.

My surgeon gave me a really good recommendation: buy Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. It is like the breast cancer Bible. I am 2 1/2 years from diagnosis and still refer to that book.

I also have to say that this forum has been a Godsend--full of knowledgeable, caring, encouraging women. I still come here very often and find it a blessing.

Take good care and please let us know what is going on. We care.

Hugs, Renee
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Darlene, I'm so sorry you
    Darlene, I'm so sorry you have the need for us. I have found this group so supportive and caring...they have kept me sane through my journey. I hope you find being here as helpful as I have.

I suggest you starting putting your questions on paper as they pop into your mind. I agree that a second set of ears is helpful, and they will have questions that might not come to you. When I was first dx'd, I created a notebook, just a three ring binder with tabs. Some samples...pathology reports and test results, questions for doc, leave of absence, insurance, calendar, etc. It has changed and flexed over time, but it worked for me. Others here have used a laptop in the same way.

Also, you might want to check out this link. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/DetailedGuide/breast-cancer-talking-with-your-doctor

Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

sorry you had to find

Denise

Sorry you are here, but,
    Sorry you are here, but, you've got the pink sisters now that will help you however we can. I am sure your doctor will talk to you about your treatment, chemo, rads and/or hormone therapy. Take a tablet or tape recorder and someone with you as it is hard to remember everything said.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Jan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

Welcome to this site. this
    Welcome to this site. this is an active caring group with lots of info. I am sure many people will respond.
    First of all your doctor will, discuss your pathology, your surgical options and treatment you will need. If you see a surgeon, you will be referred to an oncologist. A surgeon does not prescribe chemotherapy. Iam sorry you are here but we will support you and answer your questions. Better days are coming. Hugs

Darlene, want to welcome you
    Darlene, want to welcome you and to wish you good luck at your doctor's appointment. Your doctor will go over your path report with you and give you his opinion on the best treatment in your fight.

We offer you our support and help as another pink sister.

Hugs, Angie
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Like every one else
    Happy to meet you, sorry you're here. Try to have that other listener and/or tape recorded. Also talk to yourself and see where you are at: if it doesn't feel right, if you don't think you have the whole picture, get a second opinion. You are trusting these doctors with your life, literally, so you better trust them.

And we are always here for questions, venting, screaming and bad jokes.

Maureen