LAR Surgery on Thursday

omrhill
omrhill Member Posts: 125
Surgery for rectal tumor is in two days and my previously confident self is now drowning in questions. My tumor is low in the rectum (although it responded really well to chemo & radiation) so i am expecting to come out of this with a tempoary colostomy. My questions-
- really 5 - 7 days in hospital?
- how long til I can return to work?
- what is diet like post surgery, how quickly do i progress back to normal food?
- will i have a naso gastric tube for feeding? Urine cathreter?
- does the hospital send me home with stoma supplies or should i stock up?
- tips on what i should take to the hospital?
- will i be sble to manage the stairs in my house (bedroom up, kitchen down)?
- i have read tips on walking ( as much as possible) and not being afraid to ask for pain meds ( yeah, no problem there). Anything else?
Thanks!!!!
Robin

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Robin
    My surgery was different then yours, so can't help on most of it, However, just one thing I think I can, when you mentioned you knew to do the walking, I discovered a walker (the kind with four wheels and a seat)was really useful, I could walk as far as I could around the block, and take a rest when I needed it while on that walk, it's really what helped to get me back on my feet so quick, doing all that walking, having that walker to lean on and rest on gave me the confidence to keep walking. You can find one at the Senior thrift store if you have any around there fairly cheap, or the medical store rents those on a temporary basis. If you can't find one, you can craig's list that you need to borrow one, I have actually loaned the one I had out several times to people asking for one on a temporary basis (they had surgeries as well) on craig's list, they have always brought it back and it's free, so check that as well if you want to.
    Will be thinking of you on your surgery date and sending you all the possible good vibes I've got.
    Winter Marie
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Good Luck Robin!
    And now to the entrees...

"really 5 - 7 days in hospital?"

Yep - and maybe more...it takes 5 days or so usually for the bowels to even wake up...they will put you on NPO, no food by mouth...you'll start at the bottom of the food chain with refreshing ice chips, which BTW, never tasted this good:) They will work you up to liquids and then to some kind of solid. When you have a BM, that will be a sign that it's about time to go home.

"how long til I can return to work?"

I'd write off 12-weeks right off the top. This is a big surgery and there is alot of associated pain and unexpected things can happen...like a trip back to the ER for a twisted bowel or a fever or infection or something like that. This is a time to rest. Also, your bowels will be upset, because they don't like to be tinkered with, so even with an ostomy, there are going to be some troublesome times where you'll be glad you are at home.

"what is diet like post surgery, how quickly do i progress back to normal food?"

This is an individual thing since we all vary with our results and our recoveries. Start out slow and simple. They say that fruits and veggies are what's good for you...BUT, for a colon cancer patient who's just had their wiring re-done, those types of edibles will eat you up in a heartbeat, because your bowel has not had the proper time to retrain itself - it's urges and how it process things. Keep in mind that we've had some of our insides removed - parts that used to do the things we needed them to do - takes time for the bowel to relearn and compensate correctly. I ate some vegetable soup not too long after I was out - it had barley, corn, and other good stuff. I suffered miserable for awhile after that one.

"will i have a naso gastric tube for feeding? Urine cathreter?"

You'll have the tube in when you wake up and probably for about 2-3 days...it's busy sucking the stomach acids out so they don't have to pass through the colon - they want to keep that are calm for several days out of the surgery.

Urine catheter? Absolutely! And in all honesty, it makes it so much easier and I hate those things. But, having to get up from that big slice and move around to get up and pee is a lot of work in the early days....they will probably pull it a couple of days after surgery, unless its needed.

"does the hospital send me home with stoma supplies or should i stock up?"

Ask for a stoma nurse who specializes in this and she will get you where you need to be.

"tips on what i should take to the hospital?"

Whatever makes you feel comfortable...

"will i be sble to manage the stairs in my house (bedroom up, kitchen down)?"

My best advice is to take this on a baby step basis...not for the first couple of weeks anyway...you're going to find that while you're pumped up on the morphine at the hospital, you'll think you're a sprinter at this year's Olympics...you'll be buzzing people as you walk the halls... BUT when you get home, and the morphine wears off....reality.

You'll be in a lot of pain - my best advice is for the first couple of weeks at least, to walk with a pillow around your stomach and walk slightly bent over....this will help cushion the blows of just putting your feet one in front of the the other.

Trying to climb up or down stairs is not something I'd recommend, until you are walking on flat ground pretty good....it's a big strain on the groin areas and such.

And you got it, walk as much as you can...my only other tip to you are two words - Time and Patience.

You'll need both of them - don't set the bar so unrealistically high for yourself...this is major trauma and it takes time and patience to recover from this...

I had this surgery - and it was by far the hardest one of the so far. you're liable to wake up and see some ugly scars and stuff - you may see the outside of yourself all stapled together and resembling Frankenstein. Its normal and a couple of weeks after surgery they will be removing them. I actually had one come loose and caused me some bleeding issues, but they got it back out with an impromptu scope.

There's just no telling what you will face...the bowels themselves will be your biggest challenge...no timetable for when that will be right....I did not have a temp ostomy and I see now why they do them. Not having one gave my intestines no rest as they were used all the time from the radiation through to the surgery.

I lost 2-years right off the top where all I could do was go to work...and come home....lots of days where I had to leave work...and many days when I could not go to work...I had alot of bleeding and pain issue from anal fissures and all sorts of junk.

It was about 4-years for me before things really stabilized and got to where the new me was going to be. And there are still times and days where things get unhinged and I have a bad day....they are not as frequent but every bit the adventure they used to be.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Hate to overload you, Robin...but I prefer letting someone know about possibilities, like I wish I had been afforded the opportunity when it had been my time. All the best and believe me, you'll have more questions:)

"Has anyone ever experienced this?"

And the answer is yes, we have:)

take care - Craig
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dear Robin
    Everyone's experience seems to differ a bit. I had more extensive surgery than you are expecting (removal of rectum, anus and total hysterectomy along with a perm colostomy).

I was in the hospital nearly 3 weeks because I had a twisted bowel before I even got home. I was out about 2 weeks then back in for a couple of days due to a urinary infection.

It will be a while before going back to work. 6 weeks before even considering driving the car in my case. Your doctor will know best on time frame depending on how you heal and the type of work you do. I would plan on short days to start if your employer will go for it, since the entire process will drain your reserves.

I was being offered 'normal' foods before I left the hospital. I was not given any cautionary advice on things to avoid. With the pain meds food just didn't have any real taste. I was told to concentrate on proteins to help with the healing process...eggs, cheese, peanut butter (smooth kind) and that sort of thing. Plan on small portions until your system seems to want more. I also used Boost with added protein...a juice glass full several times a day.

I did not have either a naso gastric tube or urine catheter. I was up very quickly following surgery just remember to plan ahead on the bathroom trips as they don't want you up on your own for a few days and it may take the aid a while to get to you. You may also have drain tubes from the surgical site...I had 3. This is to help remove any fluids in the abdominal cavity. They don't hurt, but are just one more thing to manage when walking. They were removed before I left the hospital. I also had heparin shot daily, in the stomach, to help prevent blood clots.

Have you met with the stoma/wound nurse regarding marking for the temp colostomy? If not as your doc about it. Even a temp one can cause you discomfort with your clothes if not properly located. This nurse will also help you get hooked up with some start up supplies and discuss the various types (one piece, two piece, one use, drainable). I was lucky enough to have a local hospital supply store to get more, and then changed to a mail order later. Check with your insurance. My supplies are covered by Medicare as "durable equipment". If you have more detailed questions about supplies, just PM me and I will try to answer.

I took the usual stuff to the hospital as you would if going away, but didn't need most of it. I was in hospital gown for the duration because of ease of getting to incision site. For the trip home make it something comfy and easy to get into...I did sweats. Slip on shoes if you have them. I also took a snuggie. I for one get very cold in hospital and it was a blessing....also wore it backwards for the walks down the hall.

Stairs will be a no-no for a while. Doctor will advise you when. You will find that until the staples are out that there is lots of pulling. I found that laying out flat on the bed was painful so used a recliner for sitting and sleeping for some weeks. I put an extra pillow in the seat to add comfort. Doctor advised against the donut hole pillow.

A walker is a good idea. You will find yourself a bit unsteady on your feet for a while due to effects of surgery and pain meds.

You will also want a caregiver with you for a while. Again the amount of time will vary. Someone who can do meals and make sure you get your meds on time. My mother came to help me and we found that my having a small bell was helpful. She could be in another part of the house and if I found I needed help or something I could just ring for her.

Wishing you good surgical results and a speedy recovery. Just remember, don't overdo it in the beginning because you will pay for it later. Oh, and no lifting of anything heavier than a jug of milk!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Hi Robin...
    My husband had LAR surgery last Jan. He did spend 7 days in the hospital. His appetite took a few weeks to return and he did lose weight. It's best to start out with "light" eating, frequent smaller meals, to build yourself back up. No feeding tube but he did have a catheter for a few days. The hospital did send us home with some colostomy supplies but he was fortunate enough to have a visiting nurse when we came home. She walked us through and ordered supplies that were much better than the hospital offerings. Stairs were a no-no for a few weeks and he did use a walker to get around. When the doc gave the OK, he started back on the stairs a few steps at a time. He also had his little pillow that he would clutch to his belly when needed. The incision site was very tender and I would clean it everyday and put on a new gauze bandage because it was weepy. Don't lift anything too heavy! My husband has not gone back to work, because of other health issues not related to the surgery. He hopes to get back to work one day! He still has his colostomy too. We're still not sure if it is reversible but his quality of life is so much better that he doesn't care if it is permanent.

And yes, the pain meds helped greatly!

Best of luck with your surgery! Take care!

Ellen
  • Coppercent
    Coppercent Member Posts: 158
    My experience......
    Robin,

Below was my experience with the surgery....I had a tumor low in my rectum. I had surgery back in the end of November. I also had a complete hysterectomy along with the LAR. We will all have a different experience due to our age, the skill of the surgeon, our health pre-cancer and honestly our attitudes.

- really 5 - 7 days in hospital?

It does take this long because they want to make sure everything is working well with you. I have a temporary ileostomy so they did not have to wait on a BM for me. I will say I had an additional complication from a non-cancer issue so it added a little to my time. We are all a little different. I ended up staying a few extra days for an additional non-cancer related surgery.

- how long til I can return to work?

My surgeon told me 3 weeks I could return to work prior to the surgery and he repeated 3 weeks was good for after the surgery as well, even with the additional surgery. I could have easily returned to work in 3 weeks but where I work we have a two week break for Christmas and I scheduled my 3 weeks prior to the 2 week Christmas break. So I went to the beach for a week to relax while I was off.

- what is diet like post surgery, how quickly do i progress back to normal food?
    My diet went back to normal within a couple of days. My surgeon recommended starting with a low residue diet. I honestly did not have much of an appetite so I was good with any food.

- will i have a naso gastric tube for feeding? Urine cathreter?

Never had a NG tube I ate regular food. I did have a urine catheter for a couple of days after surgery but I think that was mainly so that I did not have to get up to go to the bathroom while I healed.

- does the hospital send me home with stoma supplies or should i stock up?

Your hospital should have a Stoma Nurse that will work with you on everything you need to know. They send you home with some supplies but the companies that you will get supplies from will be very helpful. The flanges and bags are based on the size of your individual stoma. If you have to get an ileostomy it is not that bad. I was pretty freaked the first couple of times I changed it but now it is easily manageable and sometimes better then a BM cause you don't have to wait! LOL

- tips on what i should take to the hospital?

Vaseline for dry lips! And lotion. Things to keep you busy. I felt well and needed a computer to play and books to read. Or crossword puzzles. Slippers because you will want to start walking right away. It really helps keep you from getting sore and stiff.

- will i be sble to manage the stairs in my house (bedroom up, kitchen down)?

I did not have any issues climbing stairs or walking. I had a great surgeon. I moved slower but I could do everything that I did before. I made sure to continue walking after I got home. I made millions of laps around my block after surgery before returning to work. I was cautious not to walk too far from my house just in case so I made the same laps.

- i have read tips on walking ( as much as possible) and not being afraid to ask for pain meds ( yeah, no problem there). Yes, walk as much as possible! Honestly, I had a dilaudid pump for pain that I controlled. On the 3rd day after surgery my surgeon came in and said I see you are not using the pump guess we should get it disconnected. I said, I only need what the pump puts out automatically I don't need the extra. He laughed. He said you only get pain meds when YOU push the button. I really didn't need pain meds! My discharge orders said to take tylenol as needed. I never picked up any tylenol and never really needed any. If you get an ostomy here is a website that has some hints for the little things that can go wrong. http://www.ostomy.org/ Just remember that people come to the blogs because they are having issues and there are many, many people who get along just find with out needing any questions answered. The blogs are mostly the worst case scenarios.

Anything else? For the first few day of getting out of the bed a pillow held to your stomach is a great idea. Not sure how much it really helps but it was quite comforting mentally. Your biggest thing after surgery is trying to remember not to lift.

My tumor was completely gone from the chemo/radiation prior to the surgery so it made the surgery easier.

Good luck on your surgery! You will do well!
  • omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    Thank you all
    This is just what i needed and exactly why i think this site is so helpful and important. Good advice from others who have "been there, done that." I'll let you know how it goes.

Robin
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    omrhill said:

Thank you all
    This is just what i needed and exactly why i think this site is so helpful and important. Good advice from others who have "been there, done that." I'll let you know how it goes.

Robin

Ask surgeon about chewing gum after surgery as it allegedly
    speeds up the awakening of digestive juices,etc.....
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery
    Sorry for responding so late, but all the above answers should help you. I'm hoping that all went well for you today and that your recovery is speedy. Let us know how you are feeling.

Kim
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Surgery day
    Just wanted to let you know, thinking about you on your surgery day.

Winter Marie