I'm sorry if i post too much

gwj7
gwj7 Member Posts: 21
I am so sorry if I post too much on here about my mom who found out she has colon cancer two weeks ago. I am also sorry at how long this is but I don't know who else to talk to and i am about to shut down. i am the 18 year old son who is about to go to college as a freshman next month and suddenly this gets thrown into my families' face and I don't know anything anymore.

I thought everything was good and under control. I was hopeful and positive up until an hour ago when I was on the computer and saw my mom's email up so I couldn't help but read what she was saying to her friends about her cancer because I want to know everything about this. She is planning on receiving care at memorial sloan kettering hospital in NYC and they are planning to do chemo for some time and then surgery. I asked her a few days ago about if her liver was involved or not and the response she gave me was that doctors were looking into it because that is likely with colon cancer, but she never said yes or anything so i was hopeful. In her email she mentioned a doctor for her colon and a doctor for her liver. That definitely means she has mets to her liver right? Why else would there be a doctor for her liver if that wasn't the case? Also, the fact that they are doing chemo first is alarming to me. Although I am ignorant about this all, I feel like they can't operate or something as it is right now, and they are hoping that chemo will hopefully make my mom be able to have surgery. true? is there any reason chemo would be given other than that?

I suddenly broke down after seeing that and my entire body sunk and i haven't stopped sobbing since. it really made me lose hope about this whole thing and the reality that people die from this horrible disease set in. this was not in my life plan. i was always the person looking at other peoples' situations saying "wow, thank goodness that my family is okay". That isn't the case anymore.

What kills me the most is that things will never be the same ever again. You don't know what you have until something like this happens. i would do ANYTHING to take my mom's place and have the cancer instead. Her entire life she has helped people and she doesn't deserve this. no one does. this past year she has been helping her friend pick her life back up after her friend's husband died of cancer....now this happens to my mom. This has made me lose hope in the world we live in. How can I EVER be happy in life if my mom were to die? Why would i go to college when i could spend time with my mom who might not be around for long? She made it a point for my brother and i to go to college but i feel guilty because i don't want to anymore. I don't even care about my future if my mom isn't in it. I feel so horrible writing that because my mom would be crushed to know that but it is true and i can't help it. I have no motivation for school work right now and college is coming up. How the F am i supposed to study and take exams knowing my mom is throwing up with chemotherapy at home? Picturing my family without my mom terrifies me and i don't know how i would live without her.

I watched her cry for hours today even while she took anti-depressents that her doctor gave her. Her mind is racing and she is thinking of every possible bad scenario. I was holding back the tears trying to calm her down as she was talking about the most random stuff because the drugs made her off. Seeing her like that made me feel so f***ed up because she is my mom and she is supposed to protect me and not the other way around. She is supposed to be in my life for so many more years and we are supposed to have so many more memories together. I don't want to see my mom wither away and die within a few years if that. I am SO scared about coming back from college and seeing her look sick. Right now she looks completely fine but I am sooooooooo scared to see her in true pain. The worst part of these past two weeks have been waking up and realizing that the horrible nightmare is happening in real life.

I know i have said it before but I just need someone who has maybe experienced this to help me calm down and be strong for my mom. I feel so horrible because I feel like i am making this about me BUT I CAN'T HANDLE THIS

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Never too much
    Please don't apologize for even thinking you post too much, there is no such thing as posting too much, please continue on posting however much you need to post, we're here for that, for each other, for the cancer patient, and the cancer patient's family, you become our family as well.
    As to the chemo and the surgery let me tell you my story.
    It took over a month before I got my first chemo, snafu's and all, and yes, I thought because they were waiting I was going to die any minute, that of course isn't the reality, a month is not going to make any difference, so try not to fret over it. Plus I wanted the cancer cut out of me, I wanted it gone, but they told me "no surgery", maybe never. So I got my chemo, and it was in my liver and a few other places, but it shrunk and some of it calcified and then 11 months later I got my surgery and they cut out all they could find. A lot of people never get their surgery, but their still here, still loving life, still watching children graduate from college, get married etc. Two and a half years later I'm here, enjoying my life, and am seeing the oncologist every three months and I am so happy to be here and live normally. Cancer sometimes spreads, but it isn't a death sentence, but when you're first diagnosed, that's how you feel, you go through a process, grieving, sometimes anger, sometimes depression, and eventually acceptance and the attitude that you'll do what needs done and enjoy life as much as anyone can. It takes a while to get used to the idea that you have cancer (or in your case, your mom has cancer)there are a lot of tears, a lot of why me, why us, a lot of fear. You will overcome those obstacles that make things seem bleak at this moment, hearing cancer is scary to anyone that has to come in contact with it. We'll be here to help you and your mom as best we can.
    And as for chemotherapy, I never threw up from it, never lost weight, still have my original hair, your mother is still young and will probably do very well with chemo, they have drugs if needed to to help with nausea and other symptoms. The unknown is always scarier then the known, isn't it? It'll be okay.
    And you will find you can handle it, eventually, you really will dear, it just takes time.
    Winter Marie
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Try to stay calm
    I know this is a terrible time for you and your family. While you are most welcome here to post and request help, I also encourage you to call the local American Cancer Society in your area and request a support group which you can attend. They have them for patients as well as family. There you can meet others who have been where you are now. It may help for you to have a local network of folks on hand.

It is not uncommon for them to do chemo and or radiation prior to any surgery, so don't assume the worst.

Take care of yourself so that you can be of help to your mom.

Marie who loves kitties
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    it's OK...
    give yourself time to adjust...and you will. You mother is no doubt carrying a huge psychological load. There is much for her and your family to learn, and you need time, so please don't assume the worst, even if there is liver involvement.

Sloan is one of the top rated cancer centers in the US. Chemo first is often done to prepare the patient for better surgical outcome. In fact, if the doctors know enough at this point to characterize your mother as a likely candidate for surgery (colon and liver) post chemo that is a very good thing, but generaly one must wait to see how the chemo works.

Also, many people are able to function fairly well despite chemo, even continue to work, so you will have to see how it goes for your mother. severe nausea and vomiting is not common.

you'll get through this. My wife's stage IV was a shock to her and our 3 children, the youngest of which is a senior in high school now. But life settled back down into a routine after treatement started. We have a good doctor who, despite my wife's poor prognosis, encouraged her to focus on living.

You can help your mother by making sure you do not put your life on hold.

hang in there..
  • scareddaughter24
    scareddaughter24 Member Posts: 68
    peterz54 said:

it's OK...
    give yourself time to adjust...and you will. You mother is no doubt carrying a huge psychological load. There is much for her and your family to learn, and you need time, so please don't assume the worst, even if there is liver involvement.

Sloan is one of the top rated cancer centers in the US. Chemo first is often done to prepare the patient for better surgical outcome. In fact, if the doctors know enough at this point to characterize your mother as a likely candidate for surgery (colon and liver) post chemo that is a very good thing, but generaly one must wait to see how the chemo works.

Also, many people are able to function fairly well despite chemo, even continue to work, so you will have to see how it goes for your mother. severe nausea and vomiting is not common.

you'll get through this. My wife's stage IV was a shock to her and our 3 children, the youngest of which is a senior in high school now. But life settled back down into a routine after treatement started. We have a good doctor who, despite my wife's poor prognosis, encouraged her to focus on living.

You can help your mother by making sure you do not put your life on hold.

hang in there..

Never be afraid to post too
    Never be afraid to post too much or too often!!!

I am not too much older than you and remember all too well the feeling of positve hope and then for one thing to change and it all comes crashing down.

Mine was when i read in my mums district nurse notes " pallative intent" i couldnt understand why they were treating her when they thought she was going to die.
    It wasnt until i came on here that i learnt that term really refers to the fact that they dont feel like there will be a cure but it doesnt mean an immediate death sentence.

Some days are tougher than others. Make sure you find someone to confide all these feelingsin. I find it is better to talk them through to someone on here than my family but again i realise this a just a personal choice. I tend to try and stay strong around my family and let it all out on here and with other friends :)

Please feel free to post away

Here if you need me!
  • mommyandme
    mommyandme Member Posts: 12
    Similar experience, 9 months down the road
    Dear you

I’ve until recently only been lurking on this forum, but your post made me feel it was really urgent to reply to you. Though I’m older than you (in my 30s) I’m in a similar situation, and recognized all the feelings you described. This will be really looong (sorry!), but I hope you read all of it. It’s important to me to let you know that all the shock, terror, grief you are feeling in the beginning of such a diagnosis is not how it will feel all the time. And just by reading what you write here, I am sure that yes, you CAN handle this. It's just what we have to do, for our mothers.

In October last year my dearest mom was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, with mets to the liver and lungs. We were told the mets were too extensive so surgery on both colon and liver was out of the question, she would never be cured and all they could do was give palliative treatment with chemo. We were devastated. And the more I researched on the internet (which I'm sure you have too) about the consequence of stage 4 cancer, the more shocking and depressing it was. The doctors told us people were lucky if they lived for a year. Yet here we are, in august, 9 months later, the cancer is stable and my outlook has changed completely. Last Christmas we thought it would be our last one, but now we are sure of many more to come!

I love my mom more than anything in the world, she is my best friend. For months I thought only about all the things we would never experience. I mourned her upcoming death, while she was still here with me. I felt guilty for not having married, given her grandkids, and instead prioritizing a really busy career. So I ended up stopping my life; I changed my priorities at work, stopped working overtime and travelling, stopped hanging out with my friends, and all my life was, was cancer. My message to you is DON’T do that. My mom became very down when she saw what I was doing with my life, she felt guilty and depressed on my behalf, and I felt guilty and depressed for not being with her enough. I just wanted to show her I loved her. She didn’t want me to be unhappy and only have cancer in my life. Guilt is overwhelming in this, but we are now trying to ditch the world guilt all together. Why feel guilty when none of this is our fault?

Now we have tried to accept that OK, the cancer is here, and yes, it changes everything, and we are both affected by it, but we can’t let it take over our lives while we are still capable of living. Yes, there are really hard times in this, and I’m not always able to listen to my own advice, but it helps just to remember it now and then. Especially when I try to comfort my mother. She has good days when she feels like a fighter, and she has bad days when she just feels depressed. The best advice I got was when a doctor told me that it is not my job to change that. I cannot be responsible for changing her mood when she is down, it is an impossible task. But - I can talk to her and listen to her signals; if she wants to “be little” and be comforted, I try. If she wants to just wallow and cry and be left alone, I let her. I’ve also told her that just because she sees me cry, it does not mean I can’t be strong for her.

I am so sure your mom wants you to go to college. She does not want you to stop your life because of her. She knows you love her, but don’t you think it would be an even heavier burden for both of you, if you take all the sorrows and grief on your shoulders – before she is even gone?

My biggest lesson these months is that you can’t take all of that in advance, because your mom could end up being here for many, many years to come. Maybe even be cured! And can you imagine putting your life on hold for 4, 5, 6… years? And remember, if she does get worse or needs you to be around at some point, you can always put things on hold. College will always be there, and is something that you can always postpone for the time being that your mom needs you. But you cannot do it in advance - do it when you have to.

I feel for you that the shock of all this is coming while you are about to embark on such a big and important step in your life. But believe me, the shock will pass and, though the grief’s still there, gradually this will (unfortunately) become something that is part of your family, part of your life. But this is a phase that will probably last for years and years. That is what I cling to now, when I see people here write about how much longer you live with stage 4. I no longer listen to statistics, I listen to real people.

Also it’s important to know that all chemo isn’t the same. My mom had no nausea or hairloss. In fact she had increased apetite, weight gain and a kind of hyper activity the days of the chemo. She did have other side effects, like neuropathy and fatigue, but she was in surprisingly good shape. Maybe your mom will be too? Maybe you can join some treatments while you are home from college, send her little care packages (if you are going far away from home)?

I’m sure it would help your mom a lot knowing that you are getting your education and living life, because it could also be a sign to her that you BELIEVE she WILL be around for several years. Tell her everything that you obviously do know about the disease, tell her to give you all the facts and not to hide anything. But also tell her that you believe in her, that you believe she can beat this. That you have searched forums where people write how they have lived MANY YEARS with stage 4 cancer, even though the doctors told them it wasn’t possible. That was a huge revelation to me, you see. And that’s what I do with my mom, I tell her these things because she does not have the strength to believe it herself. But gradually the cancer has become a routine in our lives, and now 9 months later, I have realized I can’t live in the future anymore, waiting for her death. It makes both of us so sad. I have to live my life now, and so do you.

It warms my heart to read how much your mother means to you, and you seem like such a bright and resourceful young man that can give your mother lots of comfort and hope. I have thought like you, that if my mom isn’t here anymore, I have no reason to live. That thought still comes back sometimes, but I know it would crush my mom. And I can’t comfort you there, because I am likewise terrified about the day I will lose a parent, regardless of how old they become. But I can tell you not to think that far ahead. And I can tell you that people can be capable of the most amazing strength in these situations, I’m sure you will even surprise yourself, though you might not see it now. By living your life, you are showing that you love your mom just as much as if you put it all on hold for her. Because living through this, THAT takes an enormous amount of strength to do. Show her not to give up, by not giving up yourself.

I know it must be so hard and devastating now, when this is all so new and fresh. But I think whatever you decide to do, it will make you a stronger person, and stronger for your mom. So poke a hole in this cancer bubble, enter it with your head held high and embark on this journey, one step at a time. NO running And put a lot of patience and courage in your backpack, as it will be a long, long trip.

The day I lose my mom will break me, but that day is somewhere far off in the future. And I don’t know what happens or how I will handle it, until it actually happens. That is why I cannot deal with that day now. Now, we live.
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    I understand
    I am caregiver to my wife, and the diagnosis and fast pace of appointments, exams, and treatments was a lot to deal with. But:
    1. She never threw up from chemo
    2. She never lost weight from chemo
    3. She didn't go bald, it just thinned
    4. Most people thought I was lying about her diagnosis she looked so good
    5. We went on trips, and basically set about living.

Now, I won't lie to you, there were some rough times, but they pass. The doctors really know how to handle side effects. Trust them and follow their directions.

Take it one step at a time is easy to say, but it is what you HAVE to do. Be the son, be the man, and be there for her when she needs it. She is probably worried about you more than herself. Go to school, honor her life's work by becoming the son and man she wanted you to be. Steel sharpens steel.

Best to you.
  • scared99
    scared99 Member Posts: 72
    GWJ, As you can see there
    GWJ, As you can see there are plenty of people that are in the same boat as you. Everything happens very fast and before you know if your thrown into a fight you never wanted to take part in.

As you saw from the other posters we all go through the same reactions. I went snooping through my moms paper work. I saw the doctors notes saying chemotherapy to provide palliative treatment and I went into a deep depression. Then I found this board and I found people who were living full lives with this condition and it gave me hope.

In June when she was diagnosed I was dreading the upcoming months. I figured my mom would be 50 pounds, bald, yellow skin... fading away. Instead shes actually put weight on, has not lost her hair, continues to function.. even better than when she was first diagnosed. She has had some bad days. Yesterday she went for her 2nd chemotherapy session and the doctors admitted her to the hospital because her blood work was off and she was running a fever. Turns out she had a nagging bladder infection that was there prior to her treatment. She called me today from the hospital and feels better than ever.

The doctor told her when he looked at her scans, " Well more than likely you wont live to be 100", " But I can keep you going for a good while yet, we can treat this like diabetes"

About a month ago I was sitting at my moms house. She could see I was depressed and it was prolly the 10th straight day I went to sit with her. She looked at me and asked me to stop coming over ! She said I will let you know when I am dying.. you are more depressing that I am. Your sitting with your mom on a beautiful 85 degree day... would you please go do something fun. I laughed and said you know what your right. When the initial shock of this starts to fade your mom will want you to live your life. Every parent has the dream of their child going to college or starting their career. Your part of your mom and dads dream and I do not think they would want you sitting there holding her hand. You will feel pretty awkward ten years from now when your mom is still going strong and your 28 years old still living with them :-)
  • SharonVegas
    SharonVegas Member Posts: 189
    Advice
    Everyone has replied with such good advice. Let me add that we had great success when we contacted "Navigate Cancer Foundation." They are so experienced and compassionate and give great advice. Do a web search and you can contact an oncology nurse consultant on their website.
    Our best wishes and prayers are with you and your family.
    SharonVegas
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Our thoughts and prayers go
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family. The Big C is an unknown journey. Until one has faced it, they really have no idea of what we have gone through.

Ask questions and blow off anger here. We will understand.

Best Always, mike
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    My advice
    When I was diagnosed, my children were just turning 15, 17, 20 and 23. The oldest had graduated from college, the next one was starting her junior year of college, and the two youngest were starting freshman and senior year of high school. So my kids have all been where you are now. The difference - they are now turning 18, 20, 23 and 26! Now two are out of college, one has a year left (he'll finish early), and the "Baby" is starting his final year of high school.

My oldest daughter was in a position that she could easily move home and help me. At first I was against that, but then realized that if it were my mother, I would insist. But my other daughter who was in college talked about taking the semester or year off. I told her absolutely NOT! The best thing she could do for me was to stay in school and get her degree, so that IF things didn't go well for me, I knew she was prepared for life. Her last semester senior year she worked things out to live at home and commute to school for her couple of classes while she wrote her thesis. Both of my daughters had some time of role reversal with me - they took care of me instead of the other way around. I needed drivers for chemo due to allergic reactions and the meds I had to be on. And I needed help with my business and errands.

You are entering the life of an adult now and will find that sometimes you may have to reverse roles. Your mother needs you to be mature and supportive. You need to let her process this just like you would if you got the news you have cancer. She can't be expected to be strong and positive 24/7. Give her the space to be sad, angry, or whatever needs to come out, without expecting her to be focused on mothering you right now.

Your mother will have a lot less stress if you go to school as planned. If you don't, you'll be making things worse for her. She'll be worrying that she is ruining your life, and that is the last worry she should have right now. She needs to focus her energy on fighting the cancer.

I looked way beyond sick - I did not do well on the treatment plan I had at first, and looked like death. Please do NOT worry about what you think your mom looks like compared to what you are used to. Treatments can be rough. But you do NOT want people telling you how bad you look - you already know. At the same time you don't want them saying you look good, because you know better! ;) Just stay away from the topic.

I don't know if he'd be open to it (he is kind of private and doesn't talk about feelings a lot), but if you'd like to talk with my son who is turning 20 next week, I can ask him and try to hook you two up. I think it could be beneficial to both of you (I've just had pretty major disease progression after a long treatment break.) I can also suggest contacting Imerman Angels and asking to be paired up with another college age person who has a parent with cancer.

If you want me to try to connect you and my son together, please email me. I don't always get back to this board quickly, and I've got a lot of medical appointments the next two weeks. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you if you post here.
    Kathryn @ KathrynsTravel DOT Com.

I know you CAN handle this! You aren't the first to be in your position, and unfortunately you won't be the last. Finding support systems will help you through this.