Mom admitted to hospital

My mom went for her second chemotherapy session today. It was cancelled last week due to low platelets. She has been feeling pretty good the last few days. She just called me and told me they were keeping her at the hospital for tests. Her platelets did not come back up. She is also running a fever of 101 her and my dad are pretty calm about it.

I am not so calm... I know many of you have said low platelets are common with chemotherapy is this normal to admit someone ? I am also worried this is two weeks now she has not been able to get chemotherapy.

Comments

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    I was the same. After chemo
    I was the same. After chemo 2 I developed a fever. It went from 100.5 to 103.7 in the 10 minutes it took to get the th ER. I was admitted and tested for every infection known to science. All negative. Just my body's reaction to one of the drugs. They assumed TPA (given when flushing out the port so it doesn't clot). Now I get the heparin and no troubles. I had two delays of 1 week each for platelet issues. Mine always came back strong after the wait. This is common as she progresses through chemo. The chemo will kill cancer cells but also like to get some WBC, RBC, platetlets, stomach cells, nerve cells (neuropathy/numbness hands and feet). That's why we always get labs before each treatment.

Fever in a chemo patient is important. She needs to watch that. We are immuno-compromised with the chemo and are more apt to get sick (from a cold, germs), just be careful.

I will be thinking good thoughts for your Mom and family.
  • scared99
    scared99 Member Posts: 72

I was the same. After chemo
    I was the same. After chemo 2 I developed a fever. It went from 100.5 to 103.7 in the 10 minutes it took to get the th ER. I was admitted and tested for every infection known to science. All negative. Just my body's reaction to one of the drugs. They assumed TPA (given when flushing out the port so it doesn't clot). Now I get the heparin and no troubles. I had two delays of 1 week each for platelet issues. Mine always came back strong after the wait. This is common as she progresses through chemo. The chemo will kill cancer cells but also like to get some WBC, RBC, platetlets, stomach cells, nerve cells (neuropathy/numbness hands and feet). That's why we always get labs before each treatment.

Fever in a chemo patient is important. She needs to watch that. We are immuno-compromised with the chemo and are more apt to get sick (from a cold, germs), just be careful.

I will be thinking good thoughts for your Mom and family.

Thank you..I honestly have
    Thank you..I honestly have no idea what I would do without this board. In talking with my dad it seems they are planning on testing her and keeping her overnight then giving her the 2nd session of chemotherapy if all tests come back good.

When I get news like this I tend to assume the worst and when you guys respond It calms me down alot.
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    being careful
    Sounds like your moms Dr is being extra careful which is good. Its good they can monitor her closely especially since she is just starting chemo. Ill be praying everything is good. Jeff
  • scareddaughter24
    scareddaughter24 Member Posts: 68

being careful
    Sounds like your moms Dr is being extra careful which is good. Its good they can monitor her closely especially since she is just starting chemo. Ill be praying everything is good. Jeff

Good to hear they are
    Good to hear they are keeping such a close eye on her.... sometimes it takes a couple of sessions to get it right... my mum was a mess after her first two chemo sessions and when they finally got it right it was much more tolerable... this was of course after two very stressfull hospital stays where they had to dose up the anit nausea and pumps thru lots of fluids

Take care
    Best Wishes to your mums speedy recovery
    Carla
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    scared99 said:

Thank you..I honestly have
    Thank you..I honestly have no idea what I would do without this board. In talking with my dad it seems they are planning on testing her and keeping her overnight then giving her the 2nd session of chemotherapy if all tests come back good.

When I get news like this I tend to assume the worst and when you guys respond It calms me down alot.

scared99
    If you can,try assuming the best results until you actually get the answers. It's much less stressful!!!
  • scared99
    Just alittle update. I spoke
    Just alittle update. I spoke to her earlier today and she is feeling great. She had a bladder infection that has been lingering for awhile. They also found she was pretty anemic and dehydrated. She has a clot in her leg which she was taking a shot for daily for the last month. The doctor wants to get her off the blood thinner and is putting a stint in the leg where she has the clot. She will start Avistan next monday.
  • scared99
    Just alittle update. I spoke
    Just alittle update. I spoke to her earlier today and she is feeling great. She had a bladder infection that has been lingering for awhile. They also found she was pretty anemic and dehydrated. She has a clot in her leg which she was taking a shot for daily for the last month. The doctor wants to get her off the blood thinner and is putting a stint in the leg where she has the clot. She will start Avistan next monday.