Ended up having MRI-guided biopsy-4 hr. ordeal-SHEESH

missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
The area in question was around 6 o'clock--adjacent to the edge of the seroma which has been there for 2 years, just about on the rib. So--it was very, very difficult to image. They could not see it on ultrasound, so I had to be moved to MRI, get an IV started, get a few MRI pix. And then came the positioning for the biopsy. There were 2 radiologists and 2 techs trying to get my left breast at the right angle with compression on both sides so that they could do the biopsy. When I say this took over 30 minutes, I am not exagerating.

Finally, the radiologist said that she could do it "free form" but had not done one like that before. Well, I sat up and said, "Wait, wait, wait. I had a miserably painful biopsy the first time and this makes me very nervous. If you feel you can't get it, I'd prefer to come back, have anesthesia and do this in the OR." It was then that they decided to go through the seroma with the needle and try it that way. More painful positioning. After the Lidocaine injections (which hurt like holy hell), all went well and she obtained the biopsy. Then they put a clip in and did another MRI image.

Then I had to go back to mammo and get a couple of views of the clip in place. Well, after about 10-12 images and 2 different techs with the help of the radiologist, they could not get the clip showing on any of the images. This clip is so on the edge of the breast, it is impossible to have my breast positioned to be able to see it. So, they decided I'd had enough and just quit.

I have to say, the techs and radiologists were great. They explained everything every step of the way, were compassionate and caring. I just had the bad luck of having whatever that "something" is in a very difficult location.

Sorry to be so whiney. It was a very frustrating experience and I'm glad it's over. I pray that it is benign and I can once again breathe and move on. I should know in a couple of days.

By the way--I took the Xanax! Can't imagine the state I would have been in without it!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Yikes!
    Oh Renee what a miserable time! Glad it's over for you and hoping for negative results....let us know when you know....
    And you're not whiney and have every right to vent!

Hugs, Nancy
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Good grief
    Sounds like they thought you might be Gumby! So sorry you had a long day~ hope you can relax the rest of the afternoon. Prayers and positive thoughts for negative results!
    Hugs
    Sandy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    OMG...what an ordeal!
    I am

OMG...what an ordeal!

I am so sorry you went through all of that...just goes to show how strong you are. And as Chen would say..."we do what we have to, so we can do what we want to."

I hope you're feeling more recovered and relaxed now. I'll be watching for the results.

Hugs,

Linda
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    What a long miserable day!
    I am so sorry that this was such an prdeal... aren't ypu just waiting for a.day wjen something just goes right. Hope yoy didn't get too bruised and Renee, I will be praying for great news.

Hugs,
    Carol
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    camul said:

What a long miserable day!
    I am so sorry that this was such an prdeal... aren't ypu just waiting for a.day wjen something just goes right. Hope yoy didn't get too bruised and Renee, I will be praying for great news.

Hugs,
    Carol

Iam so proud of you to sit
    Iam so proud of you to sit up and state your thoughts. Kudos girl!!!!!!
    sorry it sucked , hoping for good results and this behind you!!!!
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    So glad they were able to do the biopsy.
    The average person would not understand what we go through but we all totally understand and we "feel" for you Renee! I'm glad you gave credit to the radiology techs; I don't think the average person realizes they do much more than just take x-rays. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just leave our body parts wherever needed for test or scans and pick them up later. Of course if we had detachable body parts, we wouldn't need surgery or chemo because we could just replace the bad part. Okay, I'm getting a little out of touch with reality but when reality sucks sometimes it's good to use a little imagination. I am hoping and praying you get good news!

HUGS!!!
    Jamie