Leg cramps - Xelox infusion #8 - anyone have them? Feeling very down too

barbebarb
barbebarb Member Posts: 464
Yesterday, I had my lest infusion for this part of adjuvent treatment. However, today, I think the oxalyp. is hitting me hard.
My calves can hardly stand pressure to walk.

Has anyone had this occur? What did you do?

I am so down today and cant pull myself out of the trenches. I have a scan end of month and every question I had was, "We wont know
until after the scan". I was only able to see the APN and it left me with no peace of mind. I understand there are call-ins etc., but all was running on time and this happened last time.
I did speak to my oncologist via phone (previously) and she is good with returning calls but she had mentioned she would meet with me yesterday. Ugh....

Maybe I am over reacting.
I already had a frustrating cry release this am.

I keep wondering what maintenance chemo I will be on after this. I have a lung nodule that they thought was a shadow between Ct slices in March and remained stable through June scan, when I was off chemo. I had two surgeries Feb. and April
for lung nodules and a liver tumor.

I am trying to take it a day at a time but the fear is paralyzing for me at times.

Thank you for letting me express my feelings

Comments

• lepperl
    lepperl Member Posts: 39
    leg cramps
    Hi there,

My name is Lori and I am new to the site. I did have some leg cramps with oxi. Woke me up at night. It may be nothing but you do need to tell your Dr. Leg cramps can indicate problems like low potassium, low calcium, or even blood clots. Your heart is a sodium/potassium pump and these numbers need to be right on. So no you are not over reacting. I hope you feel better soon.
  • lepperl
    lepperl Member Posts: 39
    leg cramps
    Hi there,

My name is Lori and I am new to the site. I did have some leg cramps with oxi. Woke me up at night. It may be nothing but you do need to tell your Dr. Leg cramps can indicate problems like low potassium, low calcium, or even blood clots. Your heart is a sodium/potassium pump and these numbers need to be right on. So no you are not over reacting. I hope you feel better soon.
  • barbebarb
    lepperl said:

leg cramps
    Hi there,

leg cramps
    Hi Lori-
    Thanks for your reply.
    I had this 2nd or 3rd infusion. My bloodcounts were good yesterday except for my hemoglobin but I may call the oncologist after lunch.
    Hope you are feeling well.
    Barb
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Leg Cramps
    I had them on the oxi too. But, the oncologist prescribed potassium pills for me and it worked wonders. However, the first couple of days after the oxi is was still difficult to walk normally because my muscles just didn't seem to work right, (it would be the same for my arms and hands, like they pulled back at the wrong angles and I didn't have control over it) on occasion I used a cane and got around fine. The oxy is tough stuff, but remember, you're tougher!!!
    Here's hoping to better days soon for you.
    Winter Marie
  • barbebarb

Leg Cramps
    I had them on the oxi too. But, the oncologist prescribed potassium pills for me and it worked wonders. However, the first couple of days after the oxi is was still difficult to walk normally because my muscles just didn't seem to work right, (it would be the same for my arms and hands, like they pulled back at the wrong angles and I didn't have control over it) on occasion I used a cane and got around fine. The oxy is tough stuff, but remember, you're tougher!!!
    Here's hoping to better days soon for you.
    Winter Marie

leg cramps
    Thanks Winter Marie:
    I know these infusions all vary. It's worse when they mess with ones emotions and that's happening too.
    This is the last chemo until scan at end of the month. Then we'll see what new plan is....I should be happy I have made it this far.
    Guess we all have to or have worked through these moments...

So appreciate the support from this board.

Applying warm washcloths to the calves and staying strong.
    Tomorrow is a new day!
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    barbebarb said:

leg cramps
    Thanks Winter Marie:
    I know these infusions all vary. It's worse when they mess with ones emotions and that's happening too.
    This is the last chemo until scan at end of the month. Then we'll see what new plan is....I should be happy I have made it this far.
    Guess we all have to or have worked through these moments...

So appreciate the support from this board.

Applying warm washcloths to the calves and staying strong.
    Tomorrow is a new day!

cramps/stiffness
    Hi bbb.

When I was on oxy last year, had cramps and stiffness in the calves the day that I came home from infusion.
    I don't know if this will help or not, but for me, I walked about .5 mile. It was slow at first, and the last thing I wanted to do was walk, but by the .25 mile mark or beyond, I was walking pretty normal. Just seemed like I needed to push thru that period of stiffness, kind of like when we haven't exercised in a while. (That is is if everything else is ok....i.e. potassium)

If you can, see if that may help, but don't go it alone. I started walking a lot after diagnosis last year. I go with a (new) friend who talks constantly and is pretty funny. It kept my mind off of things and I didnt have to think of things to say. Before I knew it, 5 miles were behind us. It kept me from getting too depressed.

I know you have been exercising, but anytime you can do it with somebody you enjoy being around....it helps. It's a whole mind-body game, and a heck of a roller coaster ride.

Take care!!
  • barbebarb
    janie1 said:

cramps/stiffness
    Hi bbb.

When I was on oxy last year, had cramps and stiffness in the calves the day that I came home from infusion.
    I don't know if this will help or not, but for me, I walked about .5 mile. It was slow at first, and the last thing I wanted to do was walk, but by the .25 mile mark or beyond, I was walking pretty normal. Just seemed like I needed to push thru that period of stiffness, kind of like when we haven't exercised in a while. (That is is if everything else is ok....i.e. potassium)

If you can, see if that may help, but don't go it alone. I started walking a lot after diagnosis last year. I go with a (new) friend who talks constantly and is pretty funny. It kept my mind off of things and I didnt have to think of things to say. Before I knew it, 5 miles were behind us. It kept me from getting too depressed.

I know you have been exercising, but anytime you can do it with somebody you enjoy being around....it helps. It's a whole mind-body game, and a heck of a roller coaster ride.

Take care!!

still stiff
    Thanks Janie:
    Yes, its nice to have company to walk with and laugh. I agree. I have been recooperating and off from work but my neighbors are all retired and I've been doing chair yoga and riding my bike. Most of my friends are working and I haven't made an effort to go to lunch because I haven't felt well.
    Calves are still stiff this evening. If I put pressure on one it wants to go into a Charlie Horse -ouch.

Going to see how I fare in the am.
    If its not this its bathroom episodes!!!

Thanks for the positive suggestion. Exercise really helps keep the mind away from cancer thoughts!
    Barb
  • mskautz
    mskautz Member Posts: 30
    barbebarb said:

still stiff
    Thanks Janie:
    Yes, its nice to have company to walk with and laugh. I agree. I have been recooperating and off from work but my neighbors are all retired and I've been doing chair yoga and riding my bike. Most of my friends are working and I haven't made an effort to go to lunch because I haven't felt well.
    Calves are still stiff this evening. If I put pressure on one it wants to go into a Charlie Horse -ouch.

Going to see how I fare in the am.
    If its not this its bathroom episodes!!!

Thanks for the positive suggestion. Exercise really helps keep the mind away from cancer thoughts!
    Barb

leg cramps
    Hi, I had a leg pain in my calf for 4 days back in April, could barely walk on it. Went in for an ultrasound and it was a blood clot. You want to get that eliminated right away, I don't know why I waited so long. So I'm on a blood thinner, warforin and I'm glad I am right now as a note on the chemo door this week said how people on chemo tend to get blood clots. Don't rub it till you find out, found that out later too. Best Wishes, Kathy