Question about Chemo

My mom was scheduled to get her second session of Chemotherapy today. She is on an every other week schedule. After her first session she reacted pretty bad... was very lethargic for over 6 days and suffered pretty bad mouth sores. Her oncologist sent her home today after recieving her blood work from yesterday. He said the dosage was to high and sent her home until next Wed. I am freaking out... do things like this happen often ??? Will missing her chemo session like this worsen her cancer ?

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    My question would be "could he have adjusted the dosage and allowed her the treatment, as opposed to waiting?"

What he may be thinking is that her bloodwork will rebound in another week, and thus allow her to receive the full dosage he prescribed.

I'm thinking that's probably the reasoning.

Folks do miss chemo all the time due to blood counts and whatnot...generally it can be a week or even two.

Many times this can help the patient feel a little bit better before the infusion...but the role of chemo is systemically administering at the time frames determined by the doctor.

A week here - a week there is going to happen over many months of treatment...if it looks like it would be a pattern, the onc will need to lower the dosage and/or increase the infusion time to make it tolerable and doable.

Stay calm...I've read your story and know you're pretty young...cancer is alot for anyone at any age...but you're doing fine...

For her mouth sores, have her onc prescribe MAGIC MOUTHWASH...it will help with those sores...fatigue is unfortunately part of chemo...we all get that at some point, especially as the cycles continue.

Hang in there and keep posting questions:)

-Craig
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    not abmormal..
    how old is

not abmormal..
    how old is your mom.. do you know what the blood counts were showing.. You need to be strong for the chemo not to destroy more of you so she needs to build back up and that is why they sent her home. though I do agree could they have adjusted the amounts to give something.. Remember Chemo kills good cells as well as bad cells and her good stuff has to be strong to help fight.. I would not be concerned till this becomes the routine..
    Don't fret the unknowns. chemo is cumulative so if it breaking her down.. this much probably better to miss a round.. Is she eating. keep help her keep her protein up.
    as for the mouth sores. I get them too... Listerine works wonders for me..even the Crest non alcohol has been helping.. experiment with which she likes. mine go away in a couple of days usually.. though I have a few lingering..
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    It happens. Nothing to freak
    It happens. Nothing to freak out about.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Bloodwork
    As Craig said it's probably a factor of her bloodwork and it's happened I think to all of us. So I wouldn't worry too much at this point, and again as Craig said, if it happens again, then the Onc will probably lower the dose, and if he doesn't then your mom needs to ask him about it directly and see what he says. You sometimes have to be your own advocate when it comes to these things, just have her write down how she's been feeling, for how long, symptoms, etc., and present that to the onc on next visit after the next chemo, may help some with addressing the dosage amount.
    Winter Marie
  • druidshadow
    druidshadow Member Posts: 85
    chemo question
    scared, relax i went thru the same thing when i got my new onc. he came in and saw my reaction to the high dose and sent me home and lowered the dose the next week. they probly sent her home so she can work thru the bad side effects that way when they restart the chemo next week it will not be as bad on her and that is a good thing trust me.
    john
  • scared99
    scared99 Member Posts: 72

chemo question
    scared, relax i went thru the same thing when i got my new onc. he came in and saw my reaction to the high dose and sent me home and lowered the dose the next week. they probly sent her home so she can work thru the bad side effects that way when they restart the chemo next week it will not be as bad on her and that is a good thing trust me.
    john

Thank you guys I feel alot
    Thank you guys I feel alot better. I started to get worried since it was only her first session that led to the messed up blood work. The doctor told her to relax and get better for next week. Hopefully her bloodwork improves by then.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Skipping
    or deferring a week happens often. Has happened to my George several times. Giving her a week off if her blood counts are off will help get them back in the normal range. Not to worry, it happens.

Take care - Tina
  • scareddaughter24
    scareddaughter24 Member Posts: 68
    geotina said:

Skipping
    or deferring a week happens often. Has happened to my George several times. Giving her a week off if her blood counts are off will help get them back in the normal range. Not to worry, it happens.

Take care - Tina

Hi
    Hey there, been reading through some of your posts and your story sounds a lot similar to mine!! It seems like our mothers are both wonderful people who we love and want to support!
    Cancer isnt fair, it picks on anyone without a second thought.... I have "friended" you... not sure how to private message but im hear if you wana chat :)
  • scared99
    scared99 Member Posts: 72

Hi
    Hey there, been reading through some of your posts and your story sounds a lot similar to mine!! It seems like our mothers are both wonderful people who we love and want to support!
    Cancer isnt fair, it picks on anyone without a second thought.... I have "friended" you... not sure how to private message but im hear if you wana chat :)

Scareddaughter, I sent you
    Scareddaughter, I sent you a PM message.
  • marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Don't be scared. I am
    Don't be scared. I am approaching chemo #11 next week and I have had alot of wacky things happen. I was delayed twice because platletets were low, had rashes, fevers, neuropathy (numbness) in hands, feet, face, teeth and tongue, and weight loss of 60 pounds. Expect some odd stuff, just make sure the labs are done before treatment so the Onc can see overall health. It does even out a bit after a while. The beginning is a bit bumpy.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Our thoughts and prayers are
    Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

This is not unusual. How ever, one can postpone a week without any worries. (Obviously get your Oncologists opinion.) I delayed my chemo a couple of times. The objective of chemo is to create a toxic environment for cancer not to grow. One has to tell the Oncologist that their health is good or bad to help the oncologist adjust the dose of chemo.

Best Always, mike
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Missing a treatment
    Early last year my white blood cell (WBC) count dropped very low. I'd already been hospitalized for a week because of it a few months earlier, so my onc wasn't taking chances. I ended up missing treatment for two months until it came back up to a healthy level. Other than pain in my bottom from a muscle in spasm which needed surgery, it was the best I'd felt since my dx.