First Folfox Down....

Maxiecat
Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
I just finished my first Folfox today...started it on Monday and disconnected this afternoon. I came home and slept for almost 3 hours this afternoon. I think I am starting to feel some of those lovely side effects... fatigue, some nausea, a little trouble swallowing, and mouth sores. The Onc called in a Rx for Magic Mouth Wash. If that doesn't help then they will try some sort of a pill. I just got a call from the Wegman's Pharmacy.... the insurance doesn't cover the magic Mouth Wash. :( Has anyone tried the Magic Mouth Wash before? We won't be able to P/U the Rx until tomorrow morning... what else can I try tonight just to soothe the mouth?

Alex

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    My onc had me use a home concoction for mouth sores
    equal parts salt and baking soda. Put a heaping teaspoon into about 5 oz of lukewarm water (stir well) and rinse and spit. Repeat frequently.

By doing that at least 4 times a day every day throughout my 6 months of chemo, I managed to avoid most mouth sores. I did it even on my "off" week.

However, for quick soothing, maybe your onc can call in a lidocaine mouth rinse. That might be covered by insurance, and will mask the pain.

Note: do not use standard mouthwash, as they contain alcohol.

Good luck.
  • Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    abrub said:

My onc had me use a home concoction for mouth sores
    equal parts salt and baking soda. Put a heaping teaspoon into about 5 oz of lukewarm water (stir well) and rinse and spit. Repeat frequently.

By doing that at least 4 times a day every day throughout my 6 months of chemo, I managed to avoid most mouth sores. I did it even on my "off" week.

However, for quick soothing, maybe your onc can call in a lidocaine mouth rinse. That might be covered by insurance, and will mask the pain.

Note: do not use standard mouthwash, as they contain alcohol.

Good luck.

Thanks...mouth is still
    Thanks...mouth is still sore. Today i have diarreha...oh lovely. I feel like crap and this is just the first round of chemo for me. Today is day 5 for me.

Alex
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Maxiecat said:

Thanks...mouth is still
    Thanks...mouth is still sore. Today i have diarreha...oh lovely. I feel like crap and this is just the first round of chemo for me. Today is day 5 for me.

Alex

Please treat your bottom gently!
    Keep nupercainal handy, or use diaper creams. I developed an anal fissure from the "activity" down there (mostly straining, as I suffered more from constipation.) I was told that the fissure would not heal until I was done with chemo, and it was horrifically painful. Better to use protective creams than have to deal with the pain.
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Maxiecat said:

Thanks...mouth is still

Alex

Diarrhea
    Get a presciption for LOMOTIL. It will control the diarrhea and is stronger than immodium. For bottom soreness try RADIAGEL available at Wallmart. Good luck to you!