giving up alcohol?

2»

Comments

• George_Baltimore
    George_Baltimore Member Posts: 303
    ratface said:

The theory of "Cancerization field"
    exists and you can google it. It pretty much states that once bitten you are pretty much screwed or at least at much increased risks. It is however a theory. That said I still enjoy my cold beer!

Skiff, I'm shocked
    I guess you ground pounders hung around us Fly Boys too much! I didn't realize that we were that much of a bad influence (wink). I think CivilMatt has been teleporting into my monthly poker games.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member

Skiff, I'm shocked
    I guess you ground pounders hung around us Fly Boys too much! I didn't realize that we were that much of a bad influence (wink). I think CivilMatt has been teleporting into my monthly poker games.

Zoom...Zoom
    Marines are excellent at adapting to their environment....

JG
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Zoom...Zoom
    Marines are excellent at adapting to their environment....

JG

Beer
    My late father in law had oral cancer at58 with some extra rads added because "he took it so well". This was back in the 80's and his main complaint was that his beer tasted flat for two years. He still enjoyed his cocktail at 5pm and his beer at night and it never did come back. Oh and he also continued to smoke right through rads and up until he passed from pancreatic cancer at 74.

Go figure.

T
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member

Beer
    My late father in law had oral cancer at58 with some extra rads added because "he took it so well". This was back in the 80's and his main complaint was that his beer tasted flat for two years. He still enjoyed his cocktail at 5pm and his beer at night and it never did come back. Oh and he also continued to smoke right through rads and up until he passed from pancreatic cancer at 74.

Go figure.

T

i gave up alot....cheers
    i gave up all bad habits of this cancer, and road the laws for 2 years out.....I have to agree, i started drinking a nice cold beer, I'm walking again, watch what i eat, and on these hot Tenessee days, I grab a long neck, life is too short, I've been down on myself to long and Doc says I got 20 more years to go!!! of life....
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    dennis318 said:

i gave up alot....cheers
    i gave up all bad habits of this cancer, and road the laws for 2 years out.....I have to agree, i started drinking a nice cold beer, I'm walking again, watch what i eat, and on these hot Tenessee days, I grab a long neck, life is too short, I've been down on myself to long and Doc says I got 20 more years to go!!! of life....

Oh my ....no more for me :)
    In a distant galaxy far, far away ..(I think that is how it goes) ...I used to drink wild turkey 110 proof straight out of the bottle ....If I had a dime for every silly (that's polite for stupid, though I don't like to use that word) thing I did that was induced by the bottle...I could have paid for my cancer treatments 2 x over.

I was never the type to be able to handle "moderation" ....maybe that's why the good Lord saw fit to intervene in my life when He did.

Oh how I hope my kids take after their sweet mother :):):) .....

I got some good laughs out of this thread ... you guys are too much sometimes :)

Best,

Tim
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Tim6003 said:

In a distant galaxy far, far away ..(I think that is how it goes) ...I used to drink wild turkey 110 proof straight out of the bottle ....If I had a dime for every silly (that's polite for stupid, though I don't like to use that word) thing I did that was induced by the bottle...I could have paid for my cancer treatments 2 x over.

I was never the type to be able to handle "moderation" ....maybe that's why the good Lord saw fit to intervene in my life when He did.

I got some good laughs out of this thread ... you guys are too much sometimes :)

Best,

Tim

Turkey Fan
    OK - not all the time - but from time to time - I miss it. Course I had no choice BUT to like it - I'm a good Kentuckian. And I HAD mastered the moderation thing when it came to booze before we found the cancer. Sigh . . .
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Tim6003 said:

Best,

Tim

Alcohol
    Not that I ever had a drinking problem, or would do anything like Southern Comfort straight while behind the wheel, then find oneself in a cornfield, which one could get out of by crossing the road to drive over a wire fence into a cow pasture, which had a wooden gate that one just couldn't figure how to get open, so one might chose option #2 by blasting thru the danged gate with their car, then drive the one-flat wreck some 5-miles home and not realize until one pulled into the driveway that a squad car was what had those funny lights behind them...Or by not seeing the bend in the gravel road before it caused one to roll a Nova into another cornfield, then hoof it a couple miles to a farmhouse for help, and decide to take a nap on the front lawn...Nor would going thru a 5-week rehab program in Peoria back in '85 have any hint of a drinking problem...Nor would a gal that really mattered named Kim thinking someone was 90% water, 6% beer, and 4% BS! Nope- none of the above.

Seriously, I would think it wise to tote only tea for as long as you can post-tx. Body has enough to deal with in it's search for the new normal, I would think. Then again, back in '85 I did hear a Dr tell us that alcohol does have a cleansing effect on the blood- thought to be a virus killer, but that might only apply to the uh, uh, uh, heavy drinkers. To each his or her own, I reckon, but imbibing might be letting the guard down if done within the first couple months of post-tx. I have an unopened bottle of red wine in my house that's got almost 4-years of aging going-on. Was one of my options when I was diagnosed. Still there...unopened.

kcass
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Kent Cass said:

Alcohol
    Not that I ever had a drinking problem, or would do anything like Southern Comfort straight while behind the wheel, then find oneself in a cornfield, which one could get out of by crossing the road to drive over a wire fence into a cow pasture, which had a wooden gate that one just couldn't figure how to get open, so one might chose option #2 by blasting thru the danged gate with their car, then drive the one-flat wreck some 5-miles home and not realize until one pulled into the driveway that a squad car was what had those funny lights behind them...Or by not seeing the bend in the gravel road before it caused one to roll a Nova into another cornfield, then hoof it a couple miles to a farmhouse for help, and decide to take a nap on the front lawn...Nor would going thru a 5-week rehab program in Peoria back in '85 have any hint of a drinking problem...Nor would a gal that really mattered named Kim thinking someone was 90% water, 6% beer, and 4% BS! Nope- none of the above.

Seriously, I would think it wise to tote only tea for as long as you can post-tx. Body has enough to deal with in it's search for the new normal, I would think. Then again, back in '85 I did hear a Dr tell us that alcohol does have a cleansing effect on the blood- thought to be a virus killer, but that might only apply to the uh, uh, uh, heavy drinkers. To each his or her own, I reckon, but imbibing might be letting the guard down if done within the first couple months of post-tx. I have an unopened bottle of red wine in my house that's got almost 4-years of aging going-on. Was one of my options when I was diagnosed. Still there...unopened.

kcass

LOL Kent....
    are you telling war stories? You sound like you had a lot of the same type of "fun" I had....I've often wondered how I lived thru all that.

p
  • shoemandan1
    shoemandan1 Member Posts: 19
    CivilMatt said:

one down the tube
    You cats are wild. Next thing I am going to find out is you’re having PEG tube chugging contests. Tell me, can you pass a breathalyzer after using the PEG (or should I call it the KEG tube). I forgot all about the (no) taste buds and drinking beer, so I guess that is ruined now also. Matter-of-fact, how about iced tea, does it suck too.

Cheers,

Matt

Ice tea
    TO answer your question Matt. One year out of treatment and ice tea does taste good to me
  • longtime
    longtime Member Posts: 8
    teatotalers now?

Is it that big a deal? I mean, of all we have survived, how important is drinking, which doesn't contribute good to the body?

• longtime
    longtime Member Posts: 8

I can't even take pop.....
    I imagine a beer would be that times 5, considering there's alcohol in it. I've heard of some folks pouring a beer down their tubes, or drink...on special occasions.

I'm a teetotaler anyway.... did my lifetime allotment of alcohol by the time I was 35, and then did some more for another year...

p

not even pop

I changed my diet after cancer, became very active. After all these years with a laryngectomy, the last two have presented to me inability to drink even a little carbonation. I do get acid reflux now. But some of that may just be age. I had my total laryngectomy at 23 (second hand smoke), and am now 65. I totally changed diet and activity level after cancer. Never was much of a drinker. No reoccurance of cancer.

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    longtime said:

teatotalers now?

Is it that big a deal? I mean, of all we have survived, how important is drinking, which doesn't contribute good to the body?

I gave up drinking at 38 when

I gave up drinking at 38 when I bought my 57 chevy and needed every penny.I did smoke up to the time I went into surgery hummm a year ago now.Every time my surgen asks if I have still stopped he smiles.I asked if that caused the tumor uner my tounge he said it didn't help.He said they really don't know what causes cancer with the tounge or more.