Had to have radiation after reconstruction

pamcb3
pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
Hi all,
I went into my journey stage two invasive ductal breast cancer. The plan was mastectomy, with tram flap reconstruction. Nine hours of surgery. The next day I was informed there was more lympnode involvement and radiation was to be added to my treatment plan....and I went to stage 3 so, the possibility of scarring was now a concern. I did my 16 rounds of chemo with some nasty side effects but had to start28 rounds of daily chemo. I don't have any visible scarring but underneath my breast and almost in my armpit is hard and lumpy in som spots. It is mostly a big mass. It has been biopsied but it is fine. Narcosis from the radiation. It is six months since the end of radiation and it hasn't softened up and actually hurts at night and in the morning.....has anyone had this happen? What am I facing. I haven't been back to the plastic surgeon yet but I want to be mentally prepared...

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Is it scar tissue? That's
    Is it scar tissue? That's what it sounds like and it could be partly from rads, but, normally it just comes from surgery itself. I apologize as I don't know about narcosis from rads. I had rads after my lumpectomy, but, didn't have any hard lumps or anything from it.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to answer you better as to what it is and how he can help you. Wishing you good luck and please keep us updated.

Hgus, Diane
  • pamcb3
    pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
    Type o on my radiation after reconstruction post
    I meant to say 28 radiation treatments not chemo....I haven't contacted the plastic surgeon yet. I am still struggling with getting an anti-estrogen med that will work for me. But I may need to do something soon as I am experiencing pain inside the reconstructed breast.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    pamcb3 said:

Type o on my radiation after reconstruction post
    I meant to say 28 radiation treatments not chemo....I haven't contacted the plastic surgeon yet. I am still struggling with getting an anti-estrogen med that will work for me. But I may need to do something soon as I am experiencing pain inside the reconstructed breast.

Don't Wait
    Contact both doctors...your radiation doctor and your plastic surgeon. Don't wait. Make the appointments now. It far better to get the advice and opinion from the doctor rather than having you wonder what it is.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle