Had my break, back on Chemo

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
Started out feeling much better without the chemo. 3 weeks where food actually had flavor and tasted good. Lost most of the steroid weight again! That was all good. Had a great time with family and friends in California. Really enjoyed meeting Victoria....

By the end of the 2nd week of no chemo, started to have a lot of back pain in the Thoracic (middle part) of the spine, then in my left hip. No Problem, took a little more pain med, and slept a little more. Was home for 2 days and couldn't lay flat on my back to sleep, then my tailbone started throbbing, next, left collar bone /arm joint started throbbing.

Monday the 9th, went back on Navelbine, herceptin and the lovely bone shot. Talked to the doctor about the pain, MO thinks it is the tumors growing without chemo. Pain/hospice doctor thinks the same, but says the left hip might be a hairline fracture from all the walking. Will have mri to the hip if it doesn't get better. When I step a certain way with my left foot, pain shoots through the hip.

Monday and Tuesday, was sore but hyped up from the steroids, by Wednesday I was so exhausted, laid down and slept pretty much til Friday, was up for about 5 hours, then back in bed, totally exhausted. Actually said no to going to Nevada yesterday to play! Today, woke up with what feels like another UTI. Amazing how fast the s/e came back, especially the UTI!! Chemo again tomorrow, hoping that it won't be so hard without the bone shot!

Even with the pain, I am so thankful for the break. It was the first time in a year and a half that I was not nauseated! Now I pray that the chemo will slow down the tumor growth.

Hugs,
Carol

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Carol good luck tomorrow
    Sorry for the pain. Unfortunately, pain is a constant remainder at least to me about reality.I am wearing Lidocaine patch, however nuclear medicine doctor, who read and discussed my bone scan suggested pill over any patches as more effective way of manage bone pain.
    Sending positive thoughts for your Chemo infusion tomorrow, hoping for minimal side effects and reducing progression.
    Hugs
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Carol good luck tomorrow
    Sorry for the pain. Unfortunately, pain is a constant remainder at least to me about reality.I am wearing Lidocaine patch, however nuclear medicine doctor, who read and discussed my bone scan suggested pill over any patches as more effective way of manage bone pain.
    Sending positive thoughts for your Chemo infusion tomorrow, hoping for minimal side effects and reducing progression.
    Hugs

Wishing...
    Wishing you the best, tomorrow, Carol....hopefully the se's won't be as bad.....I think, I would agree, that oral pain meds would work better than the pain patch...maybe give it a try and see which works best for you...of course pain meds can have se's of their own....when I had to take them a good while back, constipation was bad..

Hoping things go well tomorrow....keep us posted when you feel up to it...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • camul
    MAJW said:

Wishing...
    Wishing you the best, tomorrow, Carol....hopefully the se's won't be as bad.....I think, I would agree, that oral pain meds would work better than the pain patch...maybe give it a try and see which works best for you...of course pain meds can have se's of their own....when I had to take them a good while back, constipation was bad..

Hoping things go well tomorrow....keep us posted when you feel up to it...
    Hugs, Nancy

HI Nancy,
    I am on Methadone now, and will start on a patch in 3 weeks. Didn't want to do it until I was use to the se again from chemo. I am going to be on Fentanyl patches again, this time I will be starting on at 12.5 mg. The last time they started me on 50 mg. I got up to use the restroom and fell, crawled into the bathroom then back to bed. He thinks that the even dose of pain meds will help with the bone pain. I will give it a try. The methadone is manageable but if I bump it up at all, I just sleep. So maybe this will give me more functional time.

Constipation is bad with any of the pain meds.

Carol
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    camul said:

HI Nancy,
    I am on Methadone now, and will start on a patch in 3 weeks. Didn't want to do it until I was use to the se again from chemo. I am going to be on Fentanyl patches again, this time I will be starting on at 12.5 mg. The last time they started me on 50 mg. I got up to use the restroom and fell, crawled into the bathroom then back to bed. He thinks that the even dose of pain meds will help with the bone pain. I will give it a try. The methadone is manageable but if I bump it up at all, I just sleep. So maybe this will give me more functional time.

Constipation is bad with any of the pain meds.

Carol

Carol...I'm hoping the pain
    Carol...I'm hoping the pain will subside for you...I have you in my thoughts and prayer

Tons of Hugs
    Eva
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    epark said:

Carol...I'm hoping the pain
    Carol...I'm hoping the pain will subside for you...I have you in my thoughts and prayer

Tons of Hugs
    Eva

Carol... You are in my prayers...
    I'm praying the growth Stops!!! and... Your pain subsides.

Sending positive vibes and thoughts your way.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi =)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

Carol... You are in my prayers...
    I'm praying the growth Stops!!! and... Your pain subsides.

Sending positive vibes and thoughts your way.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi =)

I am glad you got the
    I am glad you got the repreive. it stinks that you are going through this. I am sorry about the pain. I hope the fentanyl patch does the trick. ad you can get back to doing some things you enjoy. HUGs
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    carkris said:

I am glad you got the
    I am glad you got the repreive. it stinks that you are going through this. I am sorry about the pain. I hope the fentanyl patch does the trick. ad you can get back to doing some things you enjoy. HUGs

Oh, Carol, I'm with you in spirit today
    hoping things go well and you get what you need to feel better. It's good that you had your break and were able to do things without nausea and could actually enjoy some foods. I'm sorry you had all the pain, though. So not fair.

You are in my daily positive thoughts and prayers, dear lady.

Hugs, Renee
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Carol,
    Glad you got to have a break from the chemo. Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Carol,
    Glad you got to have a break from the chemo. Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you.

xoxo,
    Jean

Carol .. Just thinking about you, and those
    side efforts. How are you doing, dear Sister? Hoping s/e subside quickly, or
    that your Onc has new medication to help with your symptoms and discomfort.

I am keeping you in prayers, and sending my love via cyberspace.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • camul
    VickiSam said:

Carol .. Just thinking about you, and those
    side efforts. How are you doing, dear Sister? Hoping s/e subside quickly, or
    that your Onc has new medication to help with your symptoms and discomfort.

I am keeping you in prayers, and sending my love via cyberspace.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

Thanks everyone.
    On another antibiotic for the UTI, it is macrobid? Urologist suggested keeping me on a low dose as long as I am on this chemo. I think I may agree. Was up for about 2 hours today and that was hard, see onc on Monday am thinking about going on the patch sooner.
    I really feel bad for anyone with back pain. I think empathy for ohers is what I have really learned on this journey.

Went wih my kids and ex yesterday eve to the resavoir by Park City to fish. It was beautiful. They set up a chair for me and it was beautiful up there. Much cooler than the city and I saw a beaver! It was the first time ever seeing one and so good to get out and relax with them and the drive was about half an hour.

Hugs to all.
    Carol
  • StaceyPMD1121
    StaceyPMD1121 Member Posts: 65
    camul said:

Thanks everyone.
    On another antibiotic for the UTI, it is macrobid? Urologist suggested keeping me on a low dose as long as I am on this chemo. I think I may agree. Was up for about 2 hours today and that was hard, see onc on Monday am thinking about going on the patch sooner.
    I really feel bad for anyone with back pain. I think empathy for ohers is what I have really learned on this journey.

Went wih my kids and ex yesterday eve to the resavoir by Park City to fish. It was beautiful. They set up a chair for me and it was beautiful up there. Much cooler than the city and I saw a beaver! It was the first time ever seeing one and so good to get out and relax with them and the drive was about half an hour.

Hugs to all.
    Carol

Carol hope your pain & s/e subside quickly!

Hi Carol, I hope you begin to feel better soon, you are in my prayers. My remedy for constipation is to use Senokot-S and if that does not work I take 3 pericolace to do the trick. I have had moderate to severe constipation all my life and am now glad I have found remedies. I am also supposed to be taking Benefiber or some other fiber laxative daily,I will try to start that again to help myself. You rest as much as you need to because of the way you are feeling. Glad you got out to enjoy time with your family,please do that as much as you can & enjoy the company of your friends.

Peace, Blessings, Love, & Hugs,
    Stacey
  • camul

Carol hope your pain & s/e subside quickly!

Hi Carol, I hope you begin to feel better soon, you are in my prayers. My remedy for constipation is to use Senokot-S and if that does not work I take 3 pericolace to do the trick. I have had moderate to severe constipation all my life and am now glad I have found remedies. I am also supposed to be taking Benefiber or some other fiber laxative daily,I will try to start that again to help myself. You rest as much as you need to because of the way you are feeling. Glad you got out to enjoy time with your family,please do that as much as you can & enjoy the company of your friends.

Peace, Blessings, Love, & Hugs,
    Stacey

thqnks Stacey
    I do take senna. He said I can take 8 per day and I have aat times. They said tht is the only one they even wante to take. This hqs been new to me As I was aleays the oher way. This whole hing has really been a trip, and not always q good one althouh I have learned so much and have so many good people i my life.

Hugs and prayers to you too!
    Carol
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    camul said:

thqnks Stacey
    I do take senna. He said I can take 8 per day and I have aat times. They said tht is the only one they even wante to take. This hqs been new to me As I was aleays the oher way. This whole hing has really been a trip, and not always q good one althouh I have learned so much and have so many good people i my life.

Hugs and prayers to you too!
    Carol

You're in my thoughts and
    You're in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you're having a tough time. I hope the bone pain is managed soon.

Love,
    Suzanne
  • camul

You're in my thoughts and
    You're in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you're having a tough time. I hope the bone pain is managed soon.

Love,
    Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne
    Some days are better than others. I am so amazed how fast the pain worsened without chemo. But I still don't regret the 3 weeks off! That has made it possible to continue with the treatments. I see my onco tomorrow and if he agrees with going back on a lower dose of the patch, then I will start it on Tuesday. I am so bad with new pain meds... yesterday and today were both better, but then tomorrow it starts all over again with chemo.

I am accepting that this is my normal now, and am trying to find ways to still enjoy my life. Fishing has been wonderful! I go with the boys and whomever else (wife, girlfriend, ex) and we set up my chair, bring food and drinks and make an evening out of it. I have not caught anything, but the lakes and streams here are so beautiful that I am able to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Have lived here for 19 years and we keep discovering new places to fish all within an hour from home. I am the only one who hasn't caught anything...

Thank you for caring,
    Carol
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Carol, I read this while on
    Carol, I read this while on vacation and didn't have the chance to reply then. I'm so glad you got a break from chemo. The one I just took made a huge difference in my energy level and really helped me feel more like myself again. But the constant pain you're dealing with is another matter...I'm glad you and your docs are looking for the right way to get it under control.

I'm not a fisherman, but the peace, scenery, and time with family sounds like just what you need. I hope you keep finding new places to enjoy!

Hugs,

Linda