Happy "Port Day" for Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Just wishing you good luck on your port install today.
A little awkward at first, it will soon become your friend.
It will also make great "show and tell" for the kids and
others too ;).

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)

Comments

• COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Port
    Aaron,
    You will find the port will become your Bestest Friend when it comes to the infusions. It will feel odd at first and swollen. After a few days you will notice the swelling has gone down and you can feel the 3 little tips on top. They are in a triangle shape postion and the nurse knows where to place the needle for the chemo...right in the center. I would recommend some numbing cream to rub on it before the infusions to numb the sensation. John
  • Aaron
    Aaron Member Posts: 237
    Thanks Jim, thanks for the
    Thanks Jim, thanks for the encouragement. I must admit to being a bit nervous about it, I'm not sure if it's the procedure itself or the fear of chemo that's doing it. Either way, thanks again for all your kind words to me and everyone else. Everyone on this board has been so kind to me and all the other new folks that have come along recently, I surely do appreciate it. Aaron
  • Aaron
    Aaron said:

Thanks Jim, thanks for the encouragement. I must admit to being a bit nervous about it, I'm not sure if it's the procedure itself or the fear of chemo that's doing it. Either way, thanks again for all your kind words to me and everyone else. Everyone on this board has been so kind to me and all the other new folks that have come along recently, I surely do appreciate it. Aaron

John, odd, numb and swollen
    John, odd, numb and swollen is pretty much how I've felt sence my dx so this will fit in perfectly ;)
  • COBRA666
    Aaron said:

Nervous
    Aaron,
    I was a bit nervous myself. After getting my port put in I think then I realized all this was really happening and the road I had to travel ahead of me was for real.John
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Aaron said:

Port..
    Hi Aaron,
    I was nervous on "port day" also, but I'm soooooo glad I have it. Mine has been in for 2 years and hasn't given me one problem. The first few days after implant you will find it a bit tender and sore. I also knowtice that after each infusion and monthly flush it will feel tender that day, but fine the following day. I have the nurse use the numbing spray before poking it...(infusion, flush and labs) which works great for me. Best of luck today and again on Friday. Boy...Friday will be the day when your nerves are totally going to run wild on you, but it's only natural when getting the first round of chemo to feel this way. The pre-meds will help calm you down and make you drowsy..at least they do for me. The fear of not knowing how you will react is something we all experienced. You are going to do "GREAT" buddy...I just know it! Let us know how it goes today, if you feel up to it.
    Prayers and positive thoughts being sent to you! Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • ta8631
    ta8631 Member Posts: 40
    Good Luck
    Good Luck Aaron.... still trying to get used to mine i don't know if i ever will, but thankful it is there to help me along this journey :)
  • Aaron
    allmost60 said:

Port..
    Hi Aaron,
    I was nervous on "port day" also, but I'm soooooo glad I have it. Mine has been in for 2 years and hasn't given me one problem. The first few days after implant you will find it a bit tender and sore. I also knowtice that after each infusion and monthly flush it will feel tender that day, but fine the following day. I have the nurse use the numbing spray before poking it...(infusion, flush and labs) which works great for me. Best of luck today and again on Friday. Boy...Friday will be the day when your nerves are totally going to run wild on you, but it's only natural when getting the first round of chemo to feel this way. The pre-meds will help calm you down and make you drowsy..at least they do for me. The fear of not knowing how you will react is something we all experienced. You are going to do "GREAT" buddy...I just know it! Let us know how it goes today, if you feel up to it.
    Prayers and positive thoughts being sent to you! Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

I'm off to be ported, I'll
    I'm off to be ported, I'll check back in a few hours and let y'all know how it went. One upside to this is my wife wants to dress me up as a Borg for Halloween ;)
  • Aaron
    ta8631 said:

Good Luck
    Good Luck Aaron.... still trying to get used to mine i don't know if i ever will, but thankful it is there to help me along this journey :)

Thanks ta, how are things
    Thanks ta, how are things going for you? I hope your doing well.
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    Aaron said:

We get it
    Hi Aaron

We all get your feeling of fear. And being nervous about any medical procedure is just fine. You will do great. As others have mentioned, you may be sore for a bit, but over time you will hardly know it's there.
    Sending you tons of positive good thoughts as you start this part of your new journey.

Thinking of you
    Lisha
  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    Hi Aaron
    Hi Aaron,
    Good luck today, I didn't have to get one so can't really offer any advise but still hope that all goes well today and on Friday. Take care and keep us updated

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • Aaron

Hi Aaron
    Hi Aaron,
    Good luck today, I didn't have to get one so can't really offer any advise but still hope that all goes well today and on Friday. Take care and keep us updated

Sincerely,
    Liz

It's in
    Well they got it in and it wasn't bad at all. In fact the "twilight " drugs they give you are quite nice indeed. My appointment was for 11:30 and they didn't start on me until 2 . I was so hungry by the time we got out of there we went and had juevos rancheros (Seattle style) and pancakes. I ate way too much and am feeling pretty queezy right now. Worst part is I can't lay down for another 2 hours. Oh well it's in and this is all becoming very real in a big hurry. Thanks for all the good vibes y'all. Aaron
  • COBRA666
    Aaron said:

It's in
    Well they got it in and it wasn't bad at all. In fact the "twilight " drugs they give you are quite nice indeed. My appointment was for 11:30 and they didn't start on me until 2 . I was so hungry by the time we got out of there we went and had juevos rancheros (Seattle style) and pancakes. I ate way too much and am feeling pretty queezy right now. Worst part is I can't lay down for another 2 hours. Oh well it's in and this is all becoming very real in a big hurry. Thanks for all the good vibes y'all. Aaron

The Port
    Watcha wanna bet you won't be able to keep your hands off it ? John
  • Aaron
    COBRA666 said:

The Port
    Watcha wanna bet you won't be able to keep your hands off it ? John

I'll take that action
    I don't know John, I have barely looked at it yet. They left a needle in it so the nurses won't have to "access" it on Friday. Apparently it reduces the chance of infection. 7 days of sponge baths is going to make me a bit unpopular with my family but oh well. The trick will be sleeping through the night without touching it or rolling over on it.
  • COBRA666
    Aaron said:

I'll take that action
    I don't know John, I have barely looked at it yet. They left a needle in it so the nurses won't have to "access" it on Friday. Apparently it reduces the chance of infection. 7 days of sponge baths is going to make me a bit unpopular with my family but oh well. The trick will be sleeping through the night without touching it or rolling over on it.

OK,Lets see now
    I am sure you have a gauze and bandage over it right now. Afterall they did have to put some stitches in. Are you telling me you haven't even felt the bandage and the tape quite a few times. I did not have a needle left in mine because I waited 2 weeks before I got my first chemo. Mine is on the left side.Makes me wonder why some are on the opposite side.Why not make them standard.You know,the hell with why the country is going down the tubes.Whats really important is why the ports are not on the same side,LOL. John
  • allmost60
    COBRA666 said:

OK,Lets see now
    I am sure you have a gauze and bandage over it right now. Afterall they did have to put some stitches in. Are you telling me you haven't even felt the bandage and the tape quite a few times. I did not have a needle left in mine because I waited 2 weeks before I got my first chemo. Mine is on the left side.Makes me wonder why some are on the opposite side.Why not make them standard.You know,the hell with why the country is going down the tubes.Whats really important is why the ports are not on the same side,LOL. John

Right side...
    Hi guys,
    Mine was put on the right side because my rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder did not heal properly. I only have about 60% range of motion with my left arm, so my port surgeon didn't want to add a new problem to my left side. He said the left side is the most common place for port implant. BTW John,...I'm always touching my port...had to laugh when you said that to Aaron. Sue
    Glad all went well with your port surgery Aaron. That was a good idea leaving the needle in for Friday...one less stressor to deal with! :)
  • Aaron
    COBRA666 said:

OK,Lets see now

John, the irony of my port
    John, the irony of my port being on the right and yours on the left is not lost on me ;) and no I haven't touched it but I've looked plenty of times..... Jeez it reminds me of being a teenager.
  • Aaron
    allmost60 said:

Right side...
    Hi guys,
    Mine was put on the right side because my rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder did not heal properly. I only have about 60% range of motion with my left arm, so my port surgeon didn't want to add a new problem to my left side. He said the left side is the most common place for port implant. BTW John,...I'm always touching my port...had to laugh when you said that to Aaron. Sue
    Glad all went well with your port surgery Aaron. That was a good idea leaving the needle in for Friday...one less stressor to deal with! :)

My port
    Hey sue, I asked for the right side so it wouldn't interfere with my golf swing and the doc agreed. And your right one less stressor on Friday is a GREAT thing, I don't think there's enough Xanax in the world for me come Friday morning ;)'
  • Aaron
    Aaron said:

My port
    Hey sue, I asked for the right side so it wouldn't interfere with my golf swing and the doc agreed. And your right one less stressor on Friday is a GREAT thing, I don't think there's enough Xanax in the world for me come Friday morning ;)'

Sue
    btw sue, I think I remember you mentioning taking senekot to handle a " certain situation" I'm curious if you pre treated or took it after infusion or just took it all the time? Everyone else please chime on with your " tricks of the trade" as it were and any other products you may have used. Also sue, I mentioned it on another thread but I love the new pic, she is adorable.
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    Aaron said:

It's in

Hi Aaron

You said it! Glad that you sailed through the port placement. I'll be getting mine sometime after surgery. I did ask why not do it at the samt time. No such luck, involves different docs and different depts. Of course...

Anyway. sorry you are queasy. Me and queasy are still trying to work out our relationship.
    I now have another new anti nausea med on top of the one from a few hours ago. I am feeling a whole lot less of that yuck feeling.

We will be with you on Friday, be prepared for a long day.

((hugs))
    Lisha
  • allmost60
    Aaron said:

Sue
    btw sue, I think I remember you mentioning taking senekot to handle a " certain situation" I'm curious if you pre treated or took it after infusion or just took it all the time? Everyone else please chime on with your " tricks of the trade" as it were and any other products you may have used. Also sue, I mentioned it on another thread but I love the new pic, she is adorable.

Senokot
    Hey Aaron,
    Actually I learned the hard way about constipation from chemo. I didn't take the Senokot soon enough, so my first week of chemo was troublesome forsure! Day 4 of my first week I finally took 2 Senokot in the a.m and then 2 more that night and bam...the next morning everything started working GREAT! Normal BM and easy to go. From that day on(Aug of 2010) I always take one a day without fail. Now... during chemo weeks I would take 2 a day for the first 7 days and then fall back to 1 after that. Be sure to ask your Onc beforehand if it's ok to take the Senokot...can't imagine you couldn't because it's all natural with no harsh chemicals in it. Thanks about the new picture...thats my seetie pie granddaughter Lizzy...14 months old. Good luck on Friday...I'll be fishing on the coast that day for summer run steelhead in the lower Columbia river, but will be home late Friday afternoon, early evening and will check in to see how you did. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you!...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)