has anyone had a RF ablation of their renal mass?

suki731
suki731 Member Posts: 13
Hello

has anyone had a RF ablation of their renal mass? If so can you tell me if it has worked out well for you so far?

Comments

• robert_douglas_smith
    robert_douglas_smith Member Posts: 82
    Cryoablation (freezing) of the tumor
    On Oct. the 25th 2011 I went into the Rockdale hospital and had laproscopic nephrectomy surgery of my left kidney. My Urologist thinks all of mass was contained in kidney. The type of cancer is multifocal chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. My first post op cat scan was clear, the second 3 months later showed a 2 cm. mass on my right kidney. My urologist referred me to the radiology department at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Atlanta for a Cryoablation procedure on the mass. My doctors, wife and I decided that this is the least evasive procedure to preserve my remaining kidney. This procedure destroys less of the functioning kidney tissue. On May 16th they froze a 2.7cm. tumor. The procedure caused no pain to speak of and I was up and about the next day with no trouble at all. A June 29th follow-up visit at St. Josephs Hospital was with mixed feelings. The CAT scan confirmed the Cryoablation (freezing) of the tumor last month was successful, it is gone!! But the CAT scan also showed 2 more masses that are approximately 1 cm each. We will go and have those suckers frozen too this Friday July 20th. My radiologist will be my best friend for quite a while. Will have full body scan at next follow-up in about 4 to 6 weeks. Will be hoping for a NED!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

On Oct. the 25th 2011 I went into the Rockdale hospital and had laproscopic nephrectomy surgery of my left kidney. My Urologist thinks all of mass was contained in kidney. The type of cancer is multifocal chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. My first post op cat scan was clear, the second 3 months later showed a 2 cm. mass on my right kidney. My urologist referred me to the radiology department at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Atlanta for a Cryoablation procedure on the mass. My doctors, wife and I decided that this is the least evasive procedure to preserve my remaining kidney. This procedure destroys less of the functioning kidney tissue. On May 16th they froze a 2.7cm. tumor. The procedure caused no pain to speak of and I was up and about the next day with no trouble at all. A June 29th follow-up visit at St. Josephs Hospital was with mixed feelings. The CAT scan confirmed the Cryoablation (freezing) of the tumor last month was successful, it is gone!! But the CAT scan also showed 2 more masses that are approximately 1 cm each. We will go and have those suckers frozen too this Friday July 20th. My radiologist will be my best friend for quite a while. Will have full body scan at next follow-up in about 4 to 6 weeks. Will be hoping for a NED!

Cryoablation...
    Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear your latest news, you are a true warrior! Stay vigilant and stay on the attack, you're bound to get the last of it, hopefully this time is the charm. Praying for many years of NED.

Hang in there,

Gary
  • suki731

Dear Doug
    Im so very happy for you tht the Cryo worked! Does the Cryoablation get rid of the tumor all together? As for me mine was RF (Thermal) ablation, I know this type leaves the mass in but thought it was supposed to shrink it? mine has remained the same size for 2.5 yrs now.
    Sending many prayers for you and your family
    Suki
  • robert_douglas_smith
    robert_douglas_smith Member Posts: 82
    suki731 said:

Dear Doug
    Im so very happy for you tht the Cryo worked! Does the Cryoablation get rid of the tumor all together? As for me mine was RF (Thermal) ablation, I know this type leaves the mass in but thought it was supposed to shrink it? mine has remained the same size for 2.5 yrs now.
    Sending many prayers for you and your family
    Suki

Cryoablation of small tumor round 2
    Suki,

I had my second cryoablation procedure yesterday. My last ct showed where the first procedure killed the mass but it still shows up on x-ray. The first tumor they treated was 2.7 cm. The two treated yesterday were less than a cm each. The way Dr. Krebs, my interventional radiologist, explained it to me was the cryo only destroys .5mm of live kidney tissue outside of the tumor. With only the one kidney at this point I am very pleased with the treatment. They preformed the procedure at 9 AM yesterday and I was home by 4 PM. Today I graded my driveway, repaired my chainsaw, repaired some chairs, did some honey-dos, and now playing with grand boys. I'll recommend this treatment to all.

Thanks to all for your prayers and words of encouragement.

Doug
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    Good method, I just wasn't a candidate
    My doctor discussed cryo with me. At 2.5 cm, my tumor was a good candidate. However, my tumor had grown very close to the renal vein. Therefore, the doctors dismissed cryo as an option for me. Unfortunately, the proximity to the renal vein also meant I was not a candidate for a partial. I think ablation is a great option if it can help you fight the cancer and preserve as much kidney function as possible.
  • suki731

Cryoablation of small tumor round 2
    Suki,

I had my second cryoablation procedure yesterday. My last ct showed where the first procedure killed the mass but it still shows up on x-ray. The first tumor they treated was 2.7 cm. The two treated yesterday were less than a cm each. The way Dr. Krebs, my interventional radiologist, explained it to me was the cryo only destroys .5mm of live kidney tissue outside of the tumor. With only the one kidney at this point I am very pleased with the treatment. They preformed the procedure at 9 AM yesterday and I was home by 4 PM. Today I graded my driveway, repaired my chainsaw, repaired some chairs, did some honey-dos, and now playing with grand boys. I'll recommend this treatment to all.

Thanks to all for your prayers and words of encouragement.

Doug

Good news Robert!
    So Happy to hear that you are doing well!..it makes me happy to hear it. Im glad we have this option. Keep up the good work and enjoy those grandbaby's. I have 3 nephews ranging from 22 yrs all the way down to 8 months and they bring me a lot of joy!
    I was also told by my IR that the tumor will always show on scans and be read suspicious for malignacy even though its been killed. The enhancement they saw on my last scan was in the fat of the kidney and not on the ablation site. Not a new growth, no solids in the area. whew, that was scary, I thought I was dealing with a re-currence. Everday is a new day to be happy and thankful. My prayers for health and joy for you and your family Robert. Stay Happy!..its our best medicine of all

Many Thanks
    Suki:)
  • suki731

Good method, I just wasn't a candidate
    My doctor discussed cryo with me. At 2.5 cm, my tumor was a good candidate. However, my tumor had grown very close to the renal vein. Therefore, the doctors dismissed cryo as an option for me. Unfortunately, the proximity to the renal vein also meant I was not a candidate for a partial. I think ablation is a great option if it can help you fight the cancer and preserve as much kidney function as possible.

total nephrectoy
    Hi Minnesota

did you have total? .How far out are you?.
    I hope you are feeing well..u look great!

Suki