Has anyone used N-acetlycysteine before scans???

janie1
janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
Sorry, that spelling may be incorrect, but it's close.

Has anyone's doctor recommended this antioxidant supplement prior to CT/PET scans to avoid the kidney damage that scans create.
I just googled this. Don't see why we couldn't use.

Does anyone have dark urine for a while after scans?? Iodine is not good for the kidneys.

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Interesting, are they going
    Interesting, are they going to give it to you via I.V., oral, or are they suggesting dietary supplement?? Do you have kidney issues already?? Sorry for all the questions.....I think regular consumption of broccoli and broccoli sprouts, onions etc. perhaps would have the same effect. Unless of course they're giving you I.V. for some reason.
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

Interesting, are they going
    Interesting, are they going to give it to you via I.V., oral, or are they suggesting dietary supplement?? Do you have kidney issues already?? Sorry for all the questions.....I think regular consumption of broccoli and broccoli sprouts, onions etc. perhaps would have the same effect. Unless of course they're giving you I.V. for some reason.

Hi Smokeyjoe
    I searched for something that may help prevent damage and found this. Haven't talked to doctors yet. Doesn't seem like it could do any harm.
    (i got busy, and didn't read a lot about it yet)

It looks like you take it orally. I need to see how much and how soon prior to scan, but wanted to see if anyone else takes something either before or after scans.

My kidney function is good so far, but my urine is dark after scans. I wouldn't be so concerned about taking something if the scans were a year apart, but the every 3months.... can't be good.

(((( I'm thinking of you....your scan next week.....i know the anxiety......hoping you are just fine)))))
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    janie1 said:

Hi Smokeyjoe
    I searched for something that may help prevent damage and found this. Haven't talked to doctors yet. Doesn't seem like it could do any harm.
    (i got busy, and didn't read a lot about it yet)

It looks like you take it orally. I need to see how much and how soon prior to scan, but wanted to see if anyone else takes something either before or after scans.

My kidney function is good so far, but my urine is dark after scans. I wouldn't be so concerned about taking something if the scans were a year apart, but the every 3months.... can't be good.

(((( I'm thinking of you....your scan next week.....i know the anxiety......hoping you are just fine)))))

I take veggie greens every
    I take veggie greens every morning, contains broccoli etc....I know where I have my scans the nurses always put a bag of saline through my port, and tell me to DRINK LOTS of fluids to flush out the kidneys. They're always stressing to make sure you're drinking tons of fluids after the scan. I tend to drink more water than anyone I know!! Scan is on Thurs....yikes!!!
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    N-acetlycysteine
    Had a read around it as we use it in medicine mainly to treat paracetamol overdoses. I did find the below which suggests it has been trialled in people with renal impairment to protect against kidney damage from scans but in truth is probably no better than placebo. My own feeling would be that if you have normal renal function it would be of little use. Your urine being dark after may just be your body excreting teh contrast (especially if they use iodine)- it doesn't indicate any form of damage. natural things can change the colour of our urine- try eating a load of beetroot and see what happens!

Hope this is helpful- no harm having a chat with your doc though.

Oral acetylcysteine is used for the prevention of radiocontrast-induced nephropathy (a form of acute renal failure). Some studies show that prior administration of acetylcysteine markedly decreases (90%) radiocontrast nephropathy,[12] whereas others appear to cast doubt on its efficacy.[13][14] Data published in two papers in the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association. conclude:

"Intravenous and oral N-acetylcysteine may prevent contrast-medium–induced nephropathy with a dose-dependent effect in patients treated with primary angioplasty and may improve hospital outcome."[15]
    "Acetylcysteine protects patients with moderate chronic renal insufficiency from contrast-induced deterioration in renal function after coronary angiographic procedures, with minimal adverse effects and at a low cost"[16]
    A clinical trial from 2010, however, found that acetylcysteine is ineffective for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy. This trial, involving 2,308 patients, found that acetylcysteine was no better than placebo; whether acetylcysteine or placebo was used, the incidence of nephropathy was the same — 13%.[17][citation needed]

steve
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    steved said:

N-acetlycysteine
    Had a read around it as we use it in medicine mainly to treat paracetamol overdoses. I did find the below which suggests it has been trialled in people with renal impairment to protect against kidney damage from scans but in truth is probably no better than placebo. My own feeling would be that if you have normal renal function it would be of little use. Your urine being dark after may just be your body excreting teh contrast (especially if they use iodine)- it doesn't indicate any form of damage. natural things can change the colour of our urine- try eating a load of beetroot and see what happens!

Hope this is helpful- no harm having a chat with your doc though.

Oral acetylcysteine is used for the prevention of radiocontrast-induced nephropathy (a form of acute renal failure). Some studies show that prior administration of acetylcysteine markedly decreases (90%) radiocontrast nephropathy,[12] whereas others appear to cast doubt on its efficacy.[13][14] Data published in two papers in the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association. conclude:

"Intravenous and oral N-acetylcysteine may prevent contrast-medium–induced nephropathy with a dose-dependent effect in patients treated with primary angioplasty and may improve hospital outcome."[15]
    "Acetylcysteine protects patients with moderate chronic renal insufficiency from contrast-induced deterioration in renal function after coronary angiographic procedures, with minimal adverse effects and at a low cost"[16]
    A clinical trial from 2010, however, found that acetylcysteine is ineffective for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy. This trial, involving 2,308 patients, found that acetylcysteine was no better than placebo; whether acetylcysteine or placebo was used, the incidence of nephropathy was the same — 13%.[17][citation needed]

steve

nac to boost sluggish phase 2 liver detox
    thats why i take it based on functional liver detox profiles i have had done, as well as glycine and calcuim d glucarate.

now how this helps with minimising the damage from ct scans, i am not so sure, but the study above is interesting.

for what its worth i schedule my scans after iv vit c, been told it helps with mopping up; the free radicals.

now like smokeyjoe said, i live on broccoli powder, so a green juice cannot hurt.

why broccoli sprout powder is supposed to help with liver detox, and many many other anti cancer benefits is beyond the scope of this post, but i thinks its got merit, i have a good source and have documented what i use on my blog and why.

the main reason i got into NAC is for heavy metal chelation which requires a healthy liver.

I would also look at getting a low dose scan if you have not looked into this as yet. again see my blog about low dose scans.

now its just a query, but are you drinking enough water, the dark urine is a worry, as steve said see your doctor!

hugs,
    Pete