Zytiga and great result

ralph.townsend1
ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
I just got back from MD Anderson, ran CT, Bone scan, blood test. Tumor's hard to find, bones are clear and psa holding at 0.3. While in waiting room with other Vet's and found they had just started Zytiga and having the same result.

Found why my blood count was going down, because of diabetes medicine. Small test my doctor said to try. Friday went to VA hospital for blood test and blood count was 89,000. Stop diabetes med's for two days and went MD Anderson for blood test and blood count 125,000. Will go back to primary Doc's and maybe change med's.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Being stable is excellent
    Ralph

Congratulations for the Zero (yours of course). Being stable is excellent.
    The blood count is another aspect to celebrate for the improvement.
    Many guys here including me are following your reports with high expectancies on the results of Zytiga. You are helping us more than what you think, with your references.
    What is the drug’s name/mg you have stop taking?

I raise a glass of Esporao Reserve red to commemorate these great results.

Best
    VG
  • Celticroots2
    Celticroots2 Member Posts: 43
    Zytiga results
    I'm glad you are having good results Ralph. Hubby's PSA is still rising albeit slowly. He has an appt on Tuesday when we will find out how much it has risen since his last treatment 6 weeks ago. Doc has been holding off as long as she can on chemo. She has also talked about Zytiga for him, so maybe she will go that route. He has been really tired lately too. Not sure if this is due to the rising PSA or just from sheer boredom, since he hasn't worked for weeks. I just want it all gone from his bones and his body, just like I wish it for everyone. It's just a nasty disease, plain and simple.
  • ralph.townsend1

Zytiga results
    I'm glad you are having good results Ralph. Hubby's PSA is still rising albeit slowly. He has an appt on Tuesday when we will find out how much it has risen since his last treatment 6 weeks ago. Doc has been holding off as long as she can on chemo. She has also talked about Zytiga for him, so maybe she will go that route. He has been really tired lately too. Not sure if this is due to the rising PSA or just from sheer boredom, since he hasn't worked for weeks. I just want it all gone from his bones and his body, just like I wish it for everyone. It's just a nasty disease, plain and simple.

Chemo
    Back before I went on Zytiga, I ask the doctor about chemo and at the level of my metastasis of cancer that chemo does not work. He said that there is a new drug that is out there, which was Zytiga. At that time the studies would require you to go thru chemo first. They had just started testing without chemo, So here I'm 6 months down the road and the shinking of my tumor's and very low psa. I was down at MD Anderson an met a veteran like me, but his psa at 600 and it drop 20 psa and it was in his bone's, that also went down. He had been on chemo which he said was terrible and they were giving him raidation to stop it in the bones. The Zytiga has seem to stop or slow down the progress! :-)
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351

Chemo
    Back before I went on Zytiga, I ask the doctor about chemo and at the level of my metastasis of cancer that chemo does not work. He said that there is a new drug that is out there, which was Zytiga. At that time the studies would require you to go thru chemo first. They had just started testing without chemo, So here I'm 6 months down the road and the shinking of my tumor's and very low psa. I was down at MD Anderson an met a veteran like me, but his psa at 600 and it drop 20 psa and it was in his bone's, that also went down. He had been on chemo which he said was terrible and they were giving him raidation to stop it in the bones. The Zytiga has seem to stop or slow down the progress! :-)

Zytiga
    Ralph,
    Glad to hear that Zytiga is workingmso well for you. I am back on HT. Doc said it was my best shot. We will see. I figure if it fails I can try your drug. Seems like it works fairly well, judging from your results.
    How are you doing with diet and exercise? I am having trouble with exercise due to work. When I get done I am worn out. I hope to have my business behind me by end of July. Then I can get more involved.with cooking and a real exercise program. Been reading Dr. Myers new book and I hope to follow it.
    My body stopped producing B-12, and my doctor just ran a test and now I have something called Helicobacter pylori infection. Both these happened after my hormonal treatments. Now I have to be treated for this. Have a hunch HT is doing more harm but nodules disappeared on lungs, and PSA went to 0.000. So decision time. Zytiga's side effects can only be so bad.

Luck to you.

Mike
  • ralph.townsend1

Being stable is excellent
    Ralph

Congratulations for the Zero (yours of course). Being stable is excellent.
    The blood count is another aspect to celebrate for the improvement.
    Many guys here including me are following your reports with high expectancies on the results of Zytiga. You are helping us more than what you think, with your references.
    What is the drug’s name/mg you have stop taking?

I raise a glass of Esporao Reserve red to commemorate these great results.

Best
    VG

Glyburide
    This is the drug that is in question(glyburide). Zytiga is no silver bullet, but I will ride it as long as I can.
  • ralph.townsend1

Zytiga
    Ralph,
    Glad to hear that Zytiga is workingmso well for you. I am back on HT. Doc said it was my best shot. We will see. I figure if it fails I can try your drug. Seems like it works fairly well, judging from your results.
    How are you doing with diet and exercise? I am having trouble with exercise due to work. When I get done I am worn out. I hope to have my business behind me by end of July. Then I can get more involved.with cooking and a real exercise program. Been reading Dr. Myers new book and I hope to follow it.
    My body stopped producing B-12, and my doctor just ran a test and now I have something called Helicobacter pylori infection. Both these happened after my hormonal treatments. Now I have to be treated for this. Have a hunch HT is doing more harm but nodules disappeared on lungs, and PSA went to 0.000. So decision time. Zytiga's side effects can only be so bad.

Luck to you.

Mike

Diet and exercise
    Well dieting has not been one of the better thing I do, but I have drop about 9 pounds since 10/2011. It's not much, but my doctor was happy and so i only weight 230 now! :-) I was at 200 pounds 4 years ago, If i can get back to 200 pounds again, I'm going to shave my head so people will think I have cancer.

Now for the hard problem -- Exercise. I started walking in May about 3-4 times a week a mile to 1 1/2 mile. As I walk the problem's with neuropathy in my legs and lower back started giving me problem's. Now I have switch to stationary bike, and neuropathy has back off. I agree about HT, I think it's side effect are causing a lot of my problems.
  • Samsungtech1

Diet and exercise
    Well dieting has not been one of the better thing I do, but I have drop about 9 pounds since 10/2011. It's not much, but my doctor was happy and so i only weight 230 now! :-) I was at 200 pounds 4 years ago, If i can get back to 200 pounds again, I'm going to shave my head so people will think I have cancer.

Now for the hard problem -- Exercise. I started walking in May about 3-4 times a week a mile to 1 1/2 mile. As I walk the problem's with neuropathy in my legs and lower back started giving me problem's. Now I have switch to stationary bike, and neuropathy has back off. I agree about HT, I think it's side effect are causing a lot of my problems.

Exercise
    Ralph,

I think if you can walk any length you need to do it. If you need to take pain pills to do it, I would suggest you use them. I use my percocet to give me energy, and block the pain, so I can walk. We need to do whatever itntakes to keep our bodies strong. Kind of like training before going toViet Nam. Not sure if you had special training, but wehad six months of hard core training. Never quit, never give up.

I use percocet to help me walk. I am sure that is not on the recommended uses, but works for me. Do not give up the use of anything if you can help it.when you loose something it is hard to get it back. Fight every step of the way. Wish you well

Mike
  • Samsungtech1

Exercise
    Ralph,

I think if you can walk any length you need to do it. If you need to take pain pills to do it, I would suggest you use them. I use my percocet to give me energy, and block the pain, so I can walk. We need to do whatever itntakes to keep our bodies strong. Kind of like training before going toViet Nam. Not sure if you had special training, but wehad six months of hard core training. Never quit, never give up.

I use percocet to help me walk. I am sure that is not on the recommended uses, but works for me. Do not give up the use of anything if you can help it.when you loose something it is hard to get it back. Fight every step of the way. Wish you well

Mike

Obama
    Ralph,
    President Obama came by our VFW post 3219 Friday. I had a knife on me, pen knife. My dnaughter gave me, and did not want to give it up so I was in the second tier, about 15 feet away. The guys in the VFW said he was cool. One of the guys in there has anSilver Star with V for valor. President gave him one of those presidential coins? Another guy in there hadhis camera break so the presidential photographer said he would mail him a set of pictures.

It was pretty nice. The mayor of Hampton does not even come over here to Phoebus. We are kind of like outcasts in this little community. The local high school just won the state championship for second year in a row for football.

Not bad for a small village.

Mile
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

Diet and exercise

exercise
    it's all good

I developed a spine problem a couple of years ago, so I customized my exercise to comply with my physical therapist recommendation so I don't hurt myself...so I personally alternate between walking(but not on a tredmill, because of the bounce that affects my spine) on earth or rubber, but not on hard ground; I swim, and ride an indoor bike......I stretch everyday, for my core and spine, doing what I was taught. As far a resistance exercise, I limit to ones that do not affect the lower back, i am being conservative....I do a couple of times a week with light weights.

The things I do are somewhat different from what I had previously done, but this works well for me since i lost about 20 pounds in the last couple of years.

When getting physical therapy, the therapist emphasized that if anything hurt me during exercise to stop; this was expecially true during my therapy sessions.....now, when I walk, I get referred pain if I walk too much, so I stop......when I first started walking I was able to do only five or ten minutes, now I generally walk a little more than 2 miles 6 days a week, and on some days when I am in conversation with a walking partner, I walk three miles. (By the way, I bought very good pairs of walking shoes, that absorbs some of the shock of the pounding on the trail).

Lately, I've been emphasizing swimming since I feel that there is less of a negative effect on my spine when compared to walking.

I mention all this because I have customized exercise to what i can do, to enjoy the experience and not induce any pain from the exercise........when I go to the gym there are lots of strong people, in great shape....they each have different exercises that they emphasize...it's all good....as long as you are consistant.
  • ralph.townsend1

Exercise
    Ralph,

Mike

Core Training
    I was with the 1st aviation Bge., 179th Shimpboats chinook unit and a Crew chief station at Camp Eagle. So flew around picking up you hard core train type of guy's. I live in a world lost from that war for a long time.

Fighting back now for my rights and health!
  • ralph.townsend1

exercise
    it's all good

I developed a spine problem a couple of years ago, so I customized my exercise to comply with my physical therapist recommendation so I don't hurt myself...so I personally alternate between walking(but not on a tredmill, because of the bounce that affects my spine) on earth or rubber, but not on hard ground; I swim, and ride an indoor bike......I stretch everyday, for my core and spine, doing what I was taught. As far a resistance exercise, I limit to ones that do not affect the lower back, i am being conservative....I do a couple of times a week with light weights.

The things I do are somewhat different from what I had previously done, but this works well for me since i lost about 20 pounds in the last couple of years.

When getting physical therapy, the therapist emphasized that if anything hurt me during exercise to stop; this was expecially true during my therapy sessions.....now, when I walk, I get referred pain if I walk too much, so I stop......when I first started walking I was able to do only five or ten minutes, now I generally walk a little more than 2 miles 6 days a week, and on some days when I am in conversation with a walking partner, I walk three miles. (By the way, I bought very good pairs of walking shoes, that absorbs some of the shock of the pounding on the trail).

Lately, I've been emphasizing swimming since I feel that there is less of a negative effect on my spine when compared to walking.

I mention all this because I have customized exercise to what i can do, to enjoy the experience and not induce any pain from the exercise........when I go to the gym there are lots of strong people, in great shape....they each have different exercises that they emphasize...it's all good....as long as you are consistant.

Hopeful
    I'm trying to model my life after yours. The privite doctor said, that a pool to walk in, like a health club pool. So I decide to join a health club. I think that will solve my feet and leg problems. Plus this heat in Texas is tuff. Wait to the fall to try and walk outside again!
  • Samsungtech1

Hopeful
    I'm trying to model my life after yours. The privite doctor said, that a pool to walk in, like a health club pool. So I decide to join a health club. I think that will solve my feet and leg problems. Plus this heat in Texas is tuff. Wait to the fall to try and walk outside again!

Water aerobics
    Ralph,
    A friend of mine started water aerobics about eight months ago. He has lost 40 pounds, cramps stopped in his legs, and is alot more agile than he has been in years. He lives down in Chihuahua, Mexico so he prefers the pool at night. If you join a health club they should have someone to advise you on what you should pursue. When they put the stent in my heart they put me in physical theraphy. It was pretty nice. They monitored your hear, bp, etc. I liked it, but had a biopsy for lung and that ended.
  • Celticroots2

Zytiga results

Update on hospital visit
    Well it was one of those long days at the VA. His PSA is still rising so she has told him to stop taking his oral hormone meds. She says that sometimes, though it is weird, that the PSA comes back down when you stop the meds. She wants a new bone scan and ct scan and then in about 3 weeks more labs to check if the PSA is still rising, if it has stopped or is going back down. She did talk about Zytiga and also Provenge, but he would have to go to the VA in Oklahoma for it. Then after the blood has been treated in California it has to be re-administered back into the bloodstream within 2 hrs or the whole process has to start all over again.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

Hopeful

Words to the wise
    "don't model your life after mine", just ask my ex wife

By the way, I've done a lot of research about gyms, and I found that the best one is the one closest to where you live ...because that's the one that you will show up at.
  • ralph.townsend1

Words to the wise
    "don't model your life after mine", just ask my ex wife

By the way, I've done a lot of research about gyms, and I found that the best one is the one closest to where you live ...because that's the one that you will show up at.

Ex's
    Well maybe you model your life after mine.I have two Ex's, but the third time is the charm. After I got control of my evil twin, I thanks to the good Lord was watching over me, because my kids turn out great.

Thanks for the advice on the health club
  • ralph.townsend1

Update on hospital visit
    Well it was one of those long days at the VA. His PSA is still rising so she has told him to stop taking his oral hormone meds. She says that sometimes, though it is weird, that the PSA comes back down when you stop the meds. She wants a new bone scan and ct scan and then in about 3 weeks more labs to check if the PSA is still rising, if it has stopped or is going back down. She did talk about Zytiga and also Provenge, but he would have to go to the VA in Oklahoma for it. Then after the blood has been treated in California it has to be re-administered back into the bloodstream within 2 hrs or the whole process has to start all over again.

Provenge
    I would see if Zytiga works, before going on the provenge. With Zytiga there is no taking blood out, but provenge has a proven record. I beleive that Zytiga is the right choice, with my psa at 0.2 for 6 or almost 7 months. I have to go to VA once a month for psa test to get the drug and they send it to me evey month with the prednisone.
  • Celticroots2

Provenge
    I would see if Zytiga works, before going on the provenge. With Zytiga there is no taking blood out, but provenge has a proven record. I beleive that Zytiga is the right choice, with my psa at 0.2 for 6 or almost 7 months. I have to go to VA once a month for psa test to get the drug and they send it to me evey month with the prednisone.

Provenge
    A decision will be made after he has had the scans just to make sure that nothing else is going on. It could be the drug has just run it's course and needs to be changed. I just worry about his bones so much. It is so widespread and I pray that those tumors aren't spreading or getting worse. It's just one day at a time.
  • jogger
    jogger Member Posts: 47

Diet and exercise

exercise
    Hi,

I have a bad low back so to get moving this is what I do, and you could try it. Lie on your back, on a mat or a rug. You'll need a comfortable pillow. Tie weights to your ankles. (little bags of sand with velcro to attach them to your ankles which you get in the sporting goods store.) I started out with 3-pounders. Also hold weights (dumbbells) in your hands. I started out with three pounds, moved quickly to five pounds. All at the same time move your arms and hands back and forth like you're on a bicycle, while pumping your arms up and down. Every few minutes I will use use 15 pounders for a few beats.(I like to maintain the tempo of march music, you know, Sousa). Keep this up for half an hour, and you'll get modified aerobic exercise and modified resistance exercise. I do this twice a day. Good luck!

Jack
  • ralph.townsend1

Provenge
    A decision will be made after he has had the scans just to make sure that nothing else is going on. It could be the drug has just run it's course and needs to be changed. I just worry about his bones so much. It is so widespread and I pray that those tumors aren't spreading or getting worse. It's just one day at a time.

One day at a time.
    I saw down at Houston, MD Anderson There were 3 over Vet's with me that were a LOT worst than I. They have started Zytiga and their world has turn around for now. I think they beleive moreb than me!!
  • MLKisner
    MLKisner Member Posts: 14
    How long did it take to start working

Ny husband has been on zytiga for 9 weeks and his psa jumped significantly from14-41, however he says he feels great.  Praying for a turn around soon that it will start working effectvely.  We have a 3 year old and we both want to raise him together. Any advice you can provide would be great.

Marsha