Early stage DICS, Grade II

RituG
RituG Member Posts: 5
I am 59, and underwent Lumpectomy on May 30 2012.

The lump size 2.5 X 2 X 1.8 cm. (1" X 0.8" X 0.7").
Infiltrating Duct Carcinoma Grade II
Frozen Section Remains: All Margins Clear
Necrosis - not Identified
Axillary Lymph nodes isolated: Level I & II - 15, Level III - 5 - all Free
pSTAGE: pT2N0
Estrogen Receptor: ER +ve (90%) Intensity: Strong
Progestron Receptor: PR -ve
HER-2: Negative, PATHWAY Score "0"

As I am still recovering from Surgery further treatment is yet to start.

In the meantime we heard about ONCO-DX & MAMMAPRINT tests to indicate whether I would benefit from CHEMO-THERAPY.

I decided to go for MAMMAPRINT, whose results are awaited, expected this week.

I would appreciate your experiences, suggestions & comments on:

Accuracy and reliability of MAMMAPRINT Test results
Whether CHEMO would actually actually have any benefit for me
How do I reduce chances of recurrence
What is the new advances in Radiation Therapy. I am scheduled to undergo 28 sessions of IGRT/IMRT on Varian RAPID-ARC Equipment
Any advice

Thanks

RG

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    RG:
    I had DCIS but no clue

RG:

I had DCIS but no clue on #s like you said above or any other info...I was never told and I never asked...

I had lumpectomy and radiaion ..been on tamoxifen for almost 4 yrs..

when I got back to DRs..they just say all blood work/mammos look good...(HAPPY TO hear of course)

Denise
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    I had DCIS in situ stage 0
    I had DCIS in situ stage 0 last fall ..... I had radiation and because of the estrogen positive status, I am now on a 5 year tamoxifin pill which helps with the recurrence factor, or so I was told bymy oncologist ... radiation was no problem for me but the tamoxifin has some side effects ... but again, it is a personal issue with each person and every cancer is individual Ask the drs lots of questions and there are some good radiation tips on back pages of this site ...... I know nothing about Mammoprint ..... what is that exactly? GOOD LUCK AND HUGS AND PRAYERS WITH YOUR DECISIONS ...... I did not have chemo but you might consider getting another opinion to help with your decisions ... Sue D
  • Faith1122
    Faith1122 Member Posts: 46
    HI
    Hi RG! I was diagnosed with minimal stage 1 estrogen positive & opted for a dbl mastectomy because I did not want chemo or radiation & the actual cancer was not even seen on a mamo. I was having pre cancer cells biopsied & that is how a very small tumor was found. I also am going to start taking tamoxifen. Sorry I never heard of mamo print.
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    I have a similar stage and diagnosis
    I am stage IIa, ER/PR+ (both registered 98%), grade 2, no node involvement, 20% DCIS, cribriform and papallary invasive cancer. My tumor was 3 cm. Due to the size of the tumor, my onco offered chemo the very first day I saw her. I was/am a bit squeamish about having chemo and told her so. She ordered the Oncotype DX (an industry standard I hear) to decide if chemo was right for me. Well, I am glad she ordered the test because it showed that chemo would not work for me. So, I did the 7+ weeks for radiation which I finished in March and now take Arimidex for 5 years.

I did read about the Mammoprint test. The only difference that I can see is that this test can also be used on cancers that are hormone negative. Both tests help the doctor in deciding if chemo is right for you.

Radiation is an easy procedure. You will have a mock up run through. This is where the tech will use the CT scan to mark the area that is to be radiated. Your first radiation (as well as subsequent treatments) will last all of 5 minutes. Getting undressed and dressed takes longer! For me, week number 4 was the hardest. My skin started to get irritated and I was feeling sluggish. Adjusting to the irritation and getting lots of rest helped.

You will see your radiation oncologist every week. He checks the skin and looks at the xrays that are taken every week. The xray is done to make sure the technicians are staying on mark with the radiation machine. Very painless.

The hardest part for me was psychological. The first treatment day, I had tears in my eyes. I was upset about being there. But then, as I heard the beeps telling me the treatment has started, I simply relaxed and said "goodbye" to my cancer. Also, having to go through doors with signage that said "Cancer Center" was taking me down. I couldn't stand reading those words. It was a constant reminder of where I was (as if getting my treatments weren't enough)

The the personnel at my center were professional and always very caring. That helped so much. I love my radiation oncologist. Very caring and understanding.

It's a long process, but in the end, you will smile like you haven't since being diagnosed.

Good luck and let us know if we can help in any way.

xoxo
    Mary
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Faith1122 said:

HI
    Hi RG! I was diagnosed with minimal stage 1 estrogen positive & opted for a dbl mastectomy because I did not want chemo or radiation & the actual cancer was not even seen on a mamo. I was having pre cancer cells biopsied & that is how a very small tumor was found. I also am going to start taking tamoxifen. Sorry I never heard of mamo print.

Just want to welcome you and
    Just want to welcome you and to wish you good luck! I know several had the OncoType test to see if chemo would benefit them on this board. That helped them in making their decision as to have chemo or not.

Good luck,

Diane
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    You do not have just DCIS
    If you look at your diagnoses, it says Infiltrating Duct Carcinoma. This is NOT DCIS. DCIS is ductal carcinoma in situ, meaning the breast cancer is contained to the milk ducts and is always Stage 0. Chemotherapy is NOT standard treatment for DCIS becuase I believe chemo is a systemic drug, and since DCIS is contained within the milk ducts, chemo is not necessary and would be over treatment.

Infiltrating Duct Carcinoma, or IDC, is cancer that is outside the milk ducts and is stage 1-4.

You may have had a DCIS component to your IDC, but from what you wrote I don't see it on there.IDC is always located outside the milk ducts and is NOT the same as DCIS.

In the informational sections describing the basics of cancer and breast cancer on The American Cancer Society informational pages and at breastcancer.org, you will find very easy to read information on cancers.

I would also question your doctors further if I were you because you clearly have IDC but don't indicate what stage. Grades are not the same thing as stages. Grades 1-3 are based on something like how different the cells are from normal cells. Grade 1 would be less agressive and more similar to a normal cell, while grade 3 cells would be further from normal and more aggressive cancer cells.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MsGebby said:

I am stage IIa, ER/PR+ (both registered 98%), grade 2, no node involvement, 20% DCIS, cribriform and papallary invasive cancer. My tumor was 3 cm. Due to the size of the tumor, my onco offered chemo the very first day I saw her. I was/am a bit squeamish about having chemo and told her so. She ordered the Oncotype DX (an industry standard I hear) to decide if chemo was right for me. Well, I am glad she ordered the test because it showed that chemo would not work for me. So, I did the 7+ weeks for radiation which I finished in March and now take Arimidex for 5 years.

I did read about the Mammoprint test. The only difference that I can see is that this test can also be used on cancers that are hormone negative. Both tests help the doctor in deciding if chemo is right for you.

Radiation is an easy procedure. You will have a mock up run through. This is where the tech will use the CT scan to mark the area that is to be radiated. Your first radiation (as well as subsequent treatments) will last all of 5 minutes. Getting undressed and dressed takes longer! For me, week number 4 was the hardest. My skin started to get irritated and I was feeling sluggish. Adjusting to the irritation and getting lots of rest helped.

You will see your radiation oncologist every week. He checks the skin and looks at the xrays that are taken every week. The xray is done to make sure the technicians are staying on mark with the radiation machine. Very painless.

The hardest part for me was psychological. The first treatment day, I had tears in my eyes. I was upset about being there. But then, as I heard the beeps telling me the treatment has started, I simply relaxed and said "goodbye" to my cancer. Also, having to go through doors with signage that said "Cancer Center" was taking me down. I couldn't stand reading those words. It was a constant reminder of where I was (as if getting my treatments weren't enough)

The the personnel at my center were professional and always very caring. That helped so much. I love my radiation oncologist. Very caring and understanding.

It's a long process, but in the end, you will smile like you haven't since being diagnosed.

xoxo
    Mary

Saying welcome and good
    Saying welcome and good luck. I have heard of the onco type test for chemo, but, not the other. Can you tell us more about it?

Best of luck,

Kylez
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

If you look at your diagnoses, it says Infiltrating Duct Carcinoma. This is NOT DCIS. DCIS is ductal carcinoma in situ, meaning the breast cancer is contained to the milk ducts and is always Stage 0. Chemotherapy is NOT standard treatment for DCIS becuase I believe chemo is a systemic drug, and since DCIS is contained within the milk ducts, chemo is not necessary and would be over treatment.

Infiltrating Duct Carcinoma, or IDC, is cancer that is outside the milk ducts and is stage 1-4.

You may have had a DCIS component to your IDC, but from what you wrote I don't see it on there.IDC is always located outside the milk ducts and is NOT the same as DCIS.

In the informational sections describing the basics of cancer and breast cancer on The American Cancer Society informational pages and at breastcancer.org, you will find very easy to read information on cancers.

I would also question your doctors further if I were you because you clearly have IDC but don't indicate what stage. Grades are not the same thing as stages. Grades 1-3 are based on something like how different the cells are from normal cells. Grade 1 would be less agressive and more similar to a normal cell, while grade 3 cells would be further from normal and more aggressive cancer cells.

DCIS or IDC? Or both?
    I wondered when I read your post whether you had DCIS or IDC or both. Please get a copy of your pathology report and ask your oncologist to go over it thoroughly with you. Most (maybe all?) breast cancers originate in the ducts and if it would just stay in the ducts, there you likely be no problems. IDC means the sucker didn't stay in the ducts which also means it could have decided to go traveling to other parts of the body. Lower stages and grades make that less likely, but no guarantees.

I had IDC, Stage 1B, grade 2, but I, too, also had DCIS. Initially it was assumed I would not "need" chemo because I was early stage, ER+, but my oncotype test said without chemo, 21% of the women with the same type of cells that I had who were on estrogen therapy only, developed distant metastasis within 10 years. I imagine the mammoprint gives similar information to the oncotype test.

I had enough time (2 1/2 mos.) between my breast surgery and starting chemo to come to peace with having chemo, so I was able to sort of digest the whole chemo thing before getting started.

It's no walk in the park and comes with its own set of issues, but in my case, I think it was the right thing to do. Please let us know your decision.

Oh, I have a good friend who refused chemo and is still fine 8 years later. Go figure.

Suzanne
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

My path report says I had
    My path report says I had Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and Ductal Carcinoma in situ. I had a lumpectomy with rads. I got really exhausted with rads, and pretty red, but, never burnt. I took good care of my skin and used all of the creams from day one. And, my rads oncologist kept a close eye on my skin.

Hugs, Diane
  • RituG

RG:
    I had DCIS but no clue

RG:

I had DCIS but no clue on #s like you said above or any other info...I was never told and I never asked...

I had lumpectomy and radiaion ..been on tamoxifen for almost 4 yrs..

when I got back to DRs..they just say all blood work/mammos look good...(HAPPY TO hear of course)

Denise

No Chemo??????
    It appears you did not have Chemo. Am I right in my assumption? How did your doctor arrive at this decision?
    You are lucky.
    I am also wishing to avoid Chemo.
    Hope you remain recurrence free for ever.
  • RituG
    sdukowitz said:

I had DCIS in situ stage 0
    I had DCIS in situ stage 0 last fall ..... I had radiation and because of the estrogen positive status, I am now on a 5 year tamoxifin pill which helps with the recurrence factor, or so I was told bymy oncologist ... radiation was no problem for me but the tamoxifin has some side effects ... but again, it is a personal issue with each person and every cancer is individual Ask the drs lots of questions and there are some good radiation tips on back pages of this site ...... I know nothing about Mammoprint ..... what is that exactly? GOOD LUCK AND HUGS AND PRAYERS WITH YOUR DECISIONS ...... I did not have chemo but you might consider getting another opinion to help with your decisions ... Sue D

DCIS & No Chemo !!
    I am sooo glad to hear from you. Somehow I don't want to take Chemo without knowing whether it would deliver any benefit at all. Docotors seem to reduce their burden of responsibility by prescribing Chemo to one and all without proper investigation and logic.

Thanks for your Hugs and Prayers. Size of HUGS is XXL. THANKS.
  • RituG
    MsGebby said:

xoxo
    Mary

ONCO DX help on Chemo Decision
    Thanks for the detailed response.

MAMMAPRINT test could not be done on the block that I had sent to Holland, as they could not extricate sufficient genetic material out of it. So now I am going in for ONCOTYPE DX. With the hope that it would give a definitive direction whether I'd have any benfits of Chemo at all. I dont want to subject my body to high-power medicines just for no benefit, and go through the pain of Chemo treatments' after effects just for nothing.

My husband went through Radiation for his oral cancer recently. But he had developed ulcers in his mouth. I also read somewhere that radiation can cause hardening of the wall of the cavity from where the lump is removed. Is this your experience too.

Any suggestions / guidance on how to cope with after-effects of radiation. My Radiation Oncologist is planning 28 sessions of IGRT+IMRT on the VARIAN RAPIDARC equipemnt.

Thanks once again.
  • RituG

IDC and not just DCIS
    Thanks for your guidance. I am seeing my Medical Oncologist tomorrow, and shall ask him these questions.
    As suggested by you I am going through the pages on ACS website.

From what you see in my report, do you see necessity of going in for Chemo?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    RituG said:

IDC and not just DCIS
    Thanks for your guidance. I am seeing my Medical Oncologist tomorrow, and shall ask him these questions.
    As suggested by you I am going through the pages on ACS website.

From what you see in my report, do you see necessity of going in for Chemo?

I can not make that call ...
    However, ask your Doctor for research and clinical data regarding -- to chemo, or
    not to chemo. Digest all information for a few days before 'YOU' make the decision
    along with your Oncologist regarding == chemo infusion.

My personal history:

DCIS -- Stage 1
    HER2 neu

chemo: Taxotere/Taxol, Carboplatin, and Herceptin (on Herceptin for 1 year,
    due to my HER2 neg) meaning that I am not ER/PR positive. Bottom line --
    my breast cancer was not fed/caused by my body's production of Estrogen or
    Progesterone.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hi! I had infiltrating bc,
    Hi! I had infiltrating bc, no chemo, but, had rads. Wishing you good luck and keep us updated.

Hugs, Jan
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I agree
    with what you have up here, you have IDC and DCIS. The tumor was over 2 cm. For me that along with the grade was the decision to have chemo initially, even with a mastectomy. I did not need radiation because I had the mastectomy. Even with chemo, there is no guarantee, however, for I looked at it as insurance at the time.

Ask your doctor as many questions as it takes for you to understand what he/she is saying, and bring someone with you to your appointment. You would be amazed at what an extra set of ears will hear, and remember! Write down your questions and take notes, or have whoever is with you take notes. There are never too many questions.

Best of luck on your appointment tomorrow.
    Carol