Summer Flounder ~ Upper Tampa Bay

Skiffin16
Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
edited July 2012 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
OK, for those of you going through some rough times....

This post is only meant to serve as a reminder....life will get better.

Before you know it, you'll be back doing the many things you love... Who knows, you might even love them just a little bit more than before.

Summer Flounder ~ Upper Tampa Bay

Summer Flounder ~ Two Largest

Two largest, 18" and 19 1/2"....

Thoughts & Prayers.
John

Comments

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Wow
    wheres the Tartar Sauce. Good catch Skiff, did not do much for my apetite since Im pretty much off solids for now, but a great motivator that people can go thru what we are going thru and come out to enjoy life again. And as they say Thats Priceless. As always thanks for being there for all of us. Im sure you been told this before but you and your wife are true Blessings for so many of us....
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Awsome !
    John,
    Thank you for sharing the beautiful thoughts and the wonderful pictures ! Going fishing myself at a lake near me in the am. Going for Bass...using corn for bait...lol...really works well ! Warmest wishes sent your way ! Katie
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    LOL Ditto....
    Never thought the day would come when two fish hanging from fingers would make me hungry...but it's happened!! :) Battered and fried, with tarter sauce....Oh brother, I better get myself an Ensure...LOLOLLOL.

p
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    fish, Tampa, sounds real good
    Hi John,

The small ones could use more breading and be cooked a little longer, otherwise they look great. Sorry phrannie they don’t make Flounder Ensure.

I am going to challenge myself to eat more solid foods, believe me I want to.

You are looking pretty healthy, fish and all.

Best,

Matt

Hey the wife and I went for a swim today, first time this summer and it was great.
  • Skiffin16
    Thanks....
    I definitely know what many of you have and are going through...

This time in 2009 I was going through a lot of the same. I finished chemo and rads mid June that year.

I just basically remember not eating anything other than Ensure, water, a few sliced peached and occasionally canned spinach....a few times every day.

I had an obsession with Food Channels to the point of even recording some for later use of recipes, LOL.

One of the fist meals I ate was when Hondo and his wife were in town....creamy shrimp pasta.

Like you guys starting out, a meal took forever, each bite of food chased with a swig of water.

Every few words needed another swig of water.

Of course drinking that much water makes for a long night, LOL.... Annnd, my chocloate labs still have issues.

They think they need to go pee every few hours as that was the routine back then. I'd get up to go, and they felt the had to go outside for their own pee break.

Anyways, hang in there, most of you'll get back to eating and drinking the foods you like before you know it.

John
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Thanks....
    I definitely know what many of you have and are going through...

This time in 2009 I was going through a lot of the same. I finished chemo and rads mid June that year.

I just basically remember not eating anything other than Ensure, water, a few sliced peached and occasionally canned spinach....a few times every day.

I had an obsession with Food Channels to the point of even recording some for later use of recipes, LOL.

One of the fist meals I ate was when Hondo and his wife were in town....creamy shrimp pasta.

Like you guys starting out, a meal took forever, each bite of food chased with a swig of water.

Every few words needed another swig of water.

Of course drinking that much water makes for a long night, LOL.... Annnd, my chocloate labs still have issues.

They think they need to go pee every few hours as that was the routine back then. I'd get up to go, and they felt the had to go outside for their own pee break.

Anyways, hang in there, most of you'll get back to eating and drinking the foods you like before you know it.

John

fish is my best food
    right now. It takes forever to eat. My poor chewing muscles just got clobbered this time. Beef is out. chicken is out. Fish is good. your pics remind me of a fishing trip we made to Alaska a few years ago, on a liveaboard. Every night we would anchor in a bay somewhere, and while the other patrons drank and swatted no-see-ums, I jigged for little flounder. Didnt catch any as big as yours, but I caught hundreds of them. And some of those other wierd looking old water bottom feeders as well.

PS. Hey, that was my 1000th post. Nice it was on a pleasant topic.
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488

fish is my best food
    right now. It takes forever to eat. My poor chewing muscles just got clobbered this time. Beef is out. chicken is out. Fish is good. your pics remind me of a fishing trip we made to Alaska a few years ago, on a liveaboard. Every night we would anchor in a bay somewhere, and while the other patrons drank and swatted no-see-ums, I jigged for little flounder. Didnt catch any as big as yours, but I caught hundreds of them. And some of those other wierd looking old water bottom feeders as well.

PS. Hey, that was my 1000th post. Nice it was on a pleasant topic.

Very nice.
    Nice catch John, they will look good on a plate
    with chips covered in salt and malt vinegar ( might sting right now)
    but I would take my chances cause they look so good. I mentione
    to you before we go out on the Drift boat down here and we catch
    grouper, snapper, kingfish etc.... I have a few pics so when I figure
    out how to upload I will post some.....
    Once again good catch.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.
  • Skiffin16

Very nice.
    Nice catch John, they will look good on a plate
    with chips covered in salt and malt vinegar ( might sting right now)
    but I would take my chances cause they look so good. I mentione
    to you before we go out on the Drift boat down here and we catch
    grouper, snapper, kingfish etc.... I have a few pics so when I figure
    out how to upload I will post some.....
    Once again good catch.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.

Snapper...
    One of my favorites....

I can't get out to the ARS...(American Red Snapper). But there are plenty of Mangrove Snapper, which we call Mangos....

One of the best tasting fish ever in my opinion.

JG
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Snapper...
    One of my favorites....

I can't get out to the ARS...(American Red Snapper). But there are plenty of Mangrove Snapper, which we call Mangos....

One of the best tasting fish ever in my opinion.

JG

looks delicious ...
    John..you should come fishing in Idaho ....got some great Salmon and other fish ...and it's not as HOT :):)

Great pics!!

Best,

Tim
  • Skiffin16
    CivilMatt said:

fish, Tampa, sounds real good
    Hi John,

The small ones could use more breading and be cooked a little longer, otherwise they look great. Sorry phrannie they don’t make Flounder Ensure.

I am going to challenge myself to eat more solid foods, believe me I want to.

You are looking pretty healthy, fish and all.

Best,

Matt

Hey the wife and I went for a swim today, first time this summer and it was great.

Summer Time, Swimmin Time...Watch Out for Sting Rays
    Matt,

Summer Time in Florida is swimmin time...

Summer Time ~ Swimmin Time

One of the first things we had built post Tx...

You just have to watch out for Stefano the Sting Ray...

Sting Ray in the Salt Water Pool

~John
  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Tim6003 said:

looks delicious ...
    John..you should come fishing in Idaho ....got some great Salmon and other fish ...and it's not as HOT :):)

Great pics!!

Best,

Tim

Food Network
    I too became addicted to Food Network while I was in Tx...what's up with that? Nothing like good old deep fried crappie in Missouri. Used to go on a fishing boat off Clearwater and when we came in they charged 10 cents to clean each fish and the resturant across from the pier would fry them up for you. I recall the 1st time my sisters & I went, the guy on the boat said he knew he was in trouble when we all showed up wearing white and had yellow rubber gloves on :-) Fun times!