Mushrooms - potential anticancer food

peterz54
peterz54 Member Posts: 341
edited July 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
for those who are not familiar with dietary methods which might inhibit cancer growth:

a few research papers "Mushrooms and cancer" google scholar search - 2008 to now

My wife's Oncologist is a big proponent of tumeric (curcumin) and mushrooms (shiitake in particular). From what I can, tell by reading quite a lot of research, there are potentialy great benefits to be had from employing certain plant extracts to fight disease, including cancer.

At this point there is a lack of data in terms of connecting petri dish results (in vitro) to the effectiveness in the human body (in vivo), how best to deliver the extracts, and at what dose. Nevertheless there is sufficient data, in my opinion, to warrant including these extracts (or the whole food) in one's diet.

Other plant based extracts which have some level of research to suggest they have anticancer benefits (for prevention and therapy) are quercetin, resveratrol, EGCG (from green tea), genistein (from soy). All of these have been discussed with our oncologist.

Research and decide for yourself (google scholar and pubmed).

Comments

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I have been taking tumeric
    I have been taking tumeric for about 8 months and have been making and drinking 80oz a day if mushroom tea made from (forgive my spelling) phellinus lentious mushrooms. Lots of great potential benefits.
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member

I have been taking tumeric
    I have been taking tumeric for about 8 months and have been making and drinking 80oz a day if mushroom tea made from (forgive my spelling) phellinus lentious mushrooms. Lots of great potential benefits.

"new" 'shroom
    Jeff, since this is the first appearance of the Phellinus linteus (Mesima) medicinal mushroom (tea-water extract) at CSN, it would be nice to hear more background. Any discussion, links, thoughts, where/why you buy it would be welcome.
  • janderson1964
    tanstaafl said:

"new" 'shroom
    Jeff, since this is the first appearance of the Phellinus linteus (Mesima) medicinal mushroom (tea-water extract) at CSN, it would be nice to hear more background. Any discussion, links, thoughts, where/why you buy it would be welcome.

My wife is Korean. Her
    My wife is Korean. Her brother bought the mushrooms for me since Koreans have been using it for hundreds of years to treat diseases such as cancer. If you do an online search you will find a lot of links for the mushroom including trials/studies.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Not an option for me
    I am very allergic to mushrooms, so this is not an option at all for me.
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member

My wife is Korean. Her
    My wife is Korean. Her brother bought the mushrooms for me since Koreans have been using it for hundreds of years to treat diseases such as cancer. If you do an online search you will find a lot of links for the mushroom including trials/studies.

links
    Kinda hoping you had 3-4 favorite links, instead of "read everything, and discard 90%". The power of a division of labor, instead of total duplication.
  • janderson1964
    tanstaafl said:

links
    Kinda hoping you had 3-4 favorite links, instead of "read everything, and discard 90%". The power of a division of labor, instead of total duplication.

I am just not a big computer
    I am just not a big computer so i dont save links. I read a website once snd move on.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    let's play show and tell
    Peter,

Goddamit thanks, a few here believe in some well chosen supplements.
    Great post.

A top researcher gave me the definitive mushroom article, heavy and long.
    It's on my blog as well.

It got my turmeric covered and documented on my blog.

Like tans said, division of labour. My unofficial position of the colorectal alternatives researcher has had to be paused.

See back to work post.

I have soy, see my halean 951 post, but soy is questionable at the moment.

Hugs,
    Pete
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    tanstaafl said:

links

Tan -
    Mushy room info:

LING ZHI ( GANODERMA LUCIDUM // POLYPORUS LUCIDUS // REISHI // LING CHIH )
    靈芝
    Has been shown to have anti-neoplastic activity due to its
    immune-enhancing properties. The specific effects of Ling zhi
    include an increase in monocytes, macrophages and T-lymphocytes.
    In addition, there is also an increased production of cytokine,
    interleukin, tumor necrosis factor and interferon.
    Dosage: 1.5 ~ 9g 15

For in-depth: Ling zhi

The price per pound in raw form had been ranging between $6- $15, and it
    can be purchased at most Asian Health food suppliers.

1 pound of any herb equals = 454 g, so it's easy to compute how
    long a pound will last, using the dosages suggested. On average,
    one pound of the total herbs (8) I had used, lasted over a month. The
    cost was well under $100 per 1.5 months.

(My list is here: http://csn.cancer.org/node/200668)

There are mushrooms for eating, and mushrooms for medical usage;
    the trend to eat anything that sounds like it can help, can easily result
    in disillusion of the entire value of what has been proven to be of help.

Caveat Emptor

------
    More links:

The Treatment Of Gastro-intestinal Cancers With Chinese Medicine

The Institute for Traditional Medicine
    ------

Best of health,

John
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Shiitake mushrooms

more papers & publications focused just on Shiitake mushrooms

"Shiitake and cancer" google scholar search - 2012
  • Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    OOO! I love mushrooms!
    OOO! I love mushrooms! Thank you all for the info - something to read up on. - Alex