having both breast removed

shellbell70
shellbell70 Member Posts: 1
i was diagnosed with breast cancer in feb. 2012. i had a cycle of chemo to try and shrink the cancer in my right breast (there was no cancer anywhere else). it didn't shrink it, so i made the choice of having both breast removed in june 2012 with 2 lymphnodes removed on the same side. the recovery has been hell and now i start therapy to get the swelling down. they want me to do more chemo another cycle but i was wondering if anyone out there was like me and is it normal to have more chemo? i'm almost deciding to just skip it and go to radiation. is this normal?

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Welcome!
    Welcome shellbell to this site full of support from your pink sisters. I had a lumpectomy, but, I know that those that have been through what you have will post valuable information for you.

I didn't have chemo, just rads after about 6 weeks from my lumpectomy.

Hugs, Diane
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I did 6 rounds of TAC chemo
    I did 6 rounds of TAC chemo Aug-Dec 2010, and then a bilateral in Jan 2011. The pathology reports were mixed. So I asked my onc about additional chemo...he said no that I already had the maximum amount of TAC. I did rads also.

I do know of some who have followed their surgery with additional chemo. Usually to complete a course of chemo, or sometimes a different medicine than the original. So it is a viable or possible treatment path. Just remember that we are all very unique. Even with the same dx and other similarities, the treatment plan might be very different.

These decisions are tough, I wish you the best with yours. Please let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    I'm sorry you're having a
    I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with recovery. I hope this goes quickly for you. And that it becomes smoothly moving forward.

I did 8 sessions of chemo (AC/T). I say, if you are physically able and mentally willing to do it, go for the full treatment recommended. If your Dr. thinks it's necessary to lower the odds of recurrence, then maybe you should discuss it with your love ones and have their input. What type of chemo are you supposed to be taking?

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Did you mean you only had
    Did you mean you only had one chemo treatment or one course of chemo treatments before it was determined that your tumor did not shrink? And is the plan now for one more treatment or another course of chemo treatment? Is it with the same or different chemo drugs than the previous one? You said there was no cancer anywhere else but that lymph nodes were removed and that you are starting therapy for swelling. Were the lymph nodes positive and do you have lymphodema? Did the pathology report from your surgery indicate clear margins for both the breast and the lymph nodes? Does it indicate that you are HER2 positive?

Additional chemo is often recommended for a lot of different reasons. I think what is important here is you discuss with your oncologist the reasons for this course of treatment in your particular case before you make a decision. Breast cancer just varies to much from one case to another to make potentially life threatening/saving decisions based on anyone else's treatment plan.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    we are all so differnt yet
    we are all so differnt yet the same..

a friend of mind going through this now...had radiation day of surgery ,,then chemo for long time then weeks of radiations and now back to chemo.. until Dec..

Denise